RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Looks like it's time for brakes

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-11, 10:35 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 219 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Looks like it's time for brakes

My '10 RX has 22k miles on it and I drive it pretty aggressively. I drive fast and brake late. The stock pads are simply not up to the heat that my kind of driving generates, especially in the middle of summer. I have had brake judder since about 15k miles, some time around June. We also had a few 100 degree days then, which didn't help. In any case, the rotors are "warped." (rotors don't warp)

I think it may be cheaper to do a completely new set of blank rotors (I have a buddy who can get them at cost) and a pad that will stand up to the heat better rather than turning them and waiting for this to happen again this summer. I'm sure this is a long shot but does anyone have a recommendation for a more durable pad? The only pads I've even seen that would fit my bill are EBC Yellow Stuff, but I hear they chew up rotors. Brake dust is not an issue. The truck is parked outside most of the year and one NE winter has rendered the paint hammered, so I'll just run it through the car wash as necessary.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-31-11, 04:53 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

With normal driving there is no way the rotors should be gone at that mileage. Lexus OEM parts are about the best available especially when it comes to rotors. You should go to the dealer and ask them to evaluate it. Might turn out it doesn't cost you anything.

When I had my '03 RX 300 Lexus replaced my rotors and installed new pads at about 35,000 miles. That was after turning them and the problem came back very quickly. Their best guess was someone had unevenly torqued the lugs during a tire rotation.

Originally Posted by panyo64
My '10 RX has 22k miles on it and I drive it pretty aggressively. I drive fast and brake late. The stock pads are simply not up to the heat that my kind of driving generates, especially in the middle of summer. I have had brake judder since about 15k miles, some time around June. We also had a few 100 degree days then, which didn't help. In any case, the rotors are "warped." (rotors don't warp)

I think it may be cheaper to do a completely new set of blank rotors (I have a buddy who can get them at cost) and a pad that will stand up to the heat better rather than turning them and waiting for this to happen again this summer. I'm sure this is a long shot but does anyone have a recommendation for a more durable pad? The only pads I've even seen that would fit my bill are EBC Yellow Stuff, but I hear they chew up rotors. Brake dust is not an issue. The truck is parked outside most of the year and one NE winter has rendered the paint hammered, so I'll just run it through the car wash as necessary.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-31-11, 02:37 PM
py0413
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to drive pretty aggressive and one of my cars (04 acura TSX) did require rotor replacement up until I hit 150000kms (I used 5 sets of pads in between)

I agree with there is no way you can wear out the rotors in just 22k miles of driving unless u track the car (really? an SUV?)
Old 12-31-11, 09:56 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 219 Likes on 153 Posts

The rotors aren't "worn out." The stock pads don't handle heat well. The material deposits on the rotor in an uneven fashion, which is what causes the "warped rotor" sensation. I could have them turned, but that's a band-aid solution that will treat a symptom, not the problem. If I have them turned, I want to go with a pad that will deposit evenly through a higher temperature range.
Old 01-01-12, 08:10 AM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

Unfortunately "RX 350" and "performance brake pads" don't really go together. I used the EBC yellow for autox-ing and they do eat rotors... when autox-ing. For street driving you should be fine.