RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models
Old 12-15-14, 12:43 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

Homelink Not Working with Chamberlain/LiftMaster Security+ 2.0

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-21, 05:53 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,160 Likes on 990 Posts

Some systems are just not compatible with the Lexus Homelink because one or the other is out of date and they cannot sync.
You may find some guidance in this old thread
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ity-2-0-a.html
Old 06-02-21, 11:02 PM
salimshah

Received 1,048 Likes on 946 Posts

Newer garage door openers with 'Home Link' have been upgraded from the the previous version of 'Home Link'. The newer happened many years ago ... some where around 2014 (please verify as I am not sure .. it has been a while. The newer protocol is not backwards compatible.

Solution is to buy and install a repeater in the garage area. This gadget receives the 'old signal' from your RX and retransmits the signal with the new protocol.

I have bee using homelink for years and tried to program the repeater based on prior knowledge and I was stumped. So don't do it like me and simply follow the instructions to the "T" on the repeater and stash away the repeater remote for future.

Salim

PS: The repeater is also known by another name 'bridge'.

Last edited by salimshah; 06-03-21 at 07:24 AM. Reason: Fixed autocorrector and added PS
The following users liked this post:
paperthin (06-03-21)
Old 06-03-21, 04:06 AM
paperthin
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Good tip. I learned this with my 2010 450h, and after I installed a new garage door and jackshaft opener. If I had known about this route it is what I would have done.
Old 06-03-21, 05:34 AM
eighties8
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks for the help. I think the issue is the newer Homelink Security +2.0

It does appear that the likely culprit here is that my garage door opener, Chamberlain HD930EV is a newer 2017 model that uses "Security +2.0" protocol. However, that protocol began to be implemented into vehicles starting in 2008, so all of my vehicles should be possibly compatible. But apparently not the 2010 Lexus RX350 and the 2008 Infiniti G35
Old 06-03-21, 08:21 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 849 Likes on 642 Posts

Quick visual clue is the color of the opener antenna wire, dull gray or white color are old frequencies
and are compatible, bright red or yellow wire indicates new frequencies and will need the repeater/bridge unit.
The frequency bridge unit is inexpensive and requires no wiring, looks like a night light with 110v plug
blades, just stick it in any outlet in the garage. Homelink signals trigger the bridge to send signal to the opener.
Our new opener has a built in battery backup...the bridge doesn't so I guess I'd have to use the keypad.
Old 07-29-23, 01:40 PM
bnewcol
Rookie

Default New Liftgate Garage Door opener installed, Homelink issues 2010 RX

I got a new opener yesterday, new remote, all Liftmaster. My old opener I was able to program the Homelink button no problem. The garage tech went to program the new remote to Homelink, it didn't work. I tried repeatedly following all instructions. I did wipe out previous codes (pushing the 1 and 3 button). When I hold down the button I want to program with the remote close to it, it never goes to fast flashing. It just does slow flash and then eventually stops altogether.
I read about getting a bridge or something, but from my reading, you still have to get the remote pairded to homelink before the bridge does anything. My new remote was already pre-programmed to the opener, it doesn't need new batteries. How do you get Homelink in 2010 RX 350 to pair with Liftgate Remote? I can't do the 3rd step of going to the opener and pushing the LEARN button as the first step for that is to get the remote paired to the homelink button in the car first. if you can't even get that far, what do you do?
Old 07-29-23, 10:09 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by bnewcol
I got a new opener yesterday, new remote, all Liftmaster. My old opener I was able to program the Homelink button no problem. The garage tech went to program the new remote to Homelink, it didn't work. I tried repeatedly following all instructions. I did wipe out previous codes (pushing the 1 and 3 button). When I hold down the button I want to program with the remote close to it, it never goes to fast flashing. It just does slow flash and then eventually stops altogether.
I read about getting a bridge or something, but from my reading, you still have to get the remote pairded to homelink before the bridge does anything. My new remote was already pre-programmed to the opener, it doesn't need new batteries. How do you get Homelink in 2010 RX 350 to pair with Liftgate Remote? I can't do the 3rd step of going to the opener and pushing the LEARN button as the first step for that is to get the remote paired to the homelink button in the car first. if you can't even get that far, what do you do?
Did you get the bridge/repeater? Read and follow the instructions for the repeater and DO NOT follow your instincts or the procedure you are accustomed to. How do I know? I was using my prior/standard steps to program and failed.

Salim

PS: Make sure you have the remote with the bridge/repeater and stash it away after programming as it will be needed in future.

Last edited by salimshah; 07-30-23 at 05:05 PM. Reason: PS
Old 07-31-23, 09:06 AM
bnewcol
Rookie

I did not get a bridge/repearter as it was my understanding that first step is pairing the remote with the homelink button in the car first, so if I can't do the first step, it would be useless. Is that not the way to setup, pair remote to the car first?
Old 07-31-23, 10:09 AM
salimshah

I did not get a bridge/repearter as it was my understanding that first step is pairing the remote with the homelink button in the car first, so if I can't do the first step, it would be useless. Is that not the way to setup, pair remote to the car first?
The issue is the protocol (language) change between the new homelink and the old homelink standards. The new garage door and newer vehicles have moved to the new standard. So the bridge can communicate with the new opener. The vehicle with the old protocol talks to the bridge which turns around and sends the new protocol to the opener. The old protocols from old vehicle is somewhat ignored by the new opener.

The bridge once introduced retransmits the received old signals. [Almost like a language translator]. If you have new vehicles with the new protocol, they directly communicate with the opener. Vehicles with the new and old protocols work seamlessly with the bridge.

I shared my experience and stating it again. Do not overthink or even think and follow your personal understanding. Plug the bridge/repeater and blindly follow the instructions that come with the bridge. I ran into this problem the second time when i introduced a second old protocol vehicle. Followed the steps as if you do not understand how things "should" work and everything worked as it should. Glad that I kept the repeater remote with Sharpie writing repeater on the remote. [note the remotes look so much like garage opener]. That said, please make sure you have the instructions with you for the repeater.

Salim
PS: If you are on the edge of purchase/no-purchase repeater, just get the pdf for the repeater. Once you have the instructions you can mentally walk through the procedure [once again without adding any personal logic]

Last edited by salimshah; 07-31-23 at 10:13 AM.
Old 08-02-23, 02:00 PM
bnewcol
Rookie

Do you have a link to what repeater/bridge you purchased?
Old 08-02-23, 02:11 PM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 188 Likes on 159 Posts

Do you have a link to what repeater/bridge you purchased?
I think this is the only one available.

Amazon Amazon
Old 02-23-24, 05:04 PM
ThChinaman
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I recently switched to a Liftmaster 98022 and lost the ability to use the built in garage opener. I've managed to get this to work by replacing the HomeLink module in the overhead console with that from a CT. Part number is 89755-0W150. I had found a used one on eBay for $35, if you cannot find the module only, it seems like you can get an overhead console for ~$50 or so from other donor models.

1. To remove the overhead console, you'll need to remove the dome light lens by a suction cup or prying it from the windshield side of the lens because there's a hook on the back side. It's not held on very tightly, suction cup would be best as the gaps are small. Service manual only shows the sunglass holder and not SOS module.
2. There will be two gaps exposed to pry open the SOS button cover.
3. Remove the two screws
4. Pry off the overhead console on the back corners to release the push in clips and gently pull out the module. Be careful of the wire connector on the driver side of the console.
5. Remove the two screws holding the HomeLink module in place and swap.

Edit:
I programmed the buttons as I would have normally via another working visor remote but I did notice that I did not have to do the rolling code or Learn button. When pressed to open the door it would flash rapidly as if it needed the rolling code but the door still opened as normal.

The orange label is the original RX module, blue label is the replacement part.

Last edited by ThChinaman; 02-23-24 at 05:13 PM.
Old 02-23-24, 08:03 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by ThChinaman
I recently switched to a Liftmaster 98022 and lost the ability to use the built in garage opener. I've managed to get this to work by replacing the HomeLink module in the overhead console with that from a CT. Part number is 89755-0W150. I had found a used one on eBay for $35, if you cannot find the module only, it seems like you can get an overhead console for ~$50 or so from other donor models.

1. To remove the overhead console, you'll need to remove the dome light lens by a suction cup or prying it from the windshield side of the lens because there's a hook on the back side. It's not held on very tightly, suction cup would be best as the gaps are small. Service manual only shows the sunglass holder and not SOS module.
2. There will be two gaps exposed to pry open the SOS button cover.
3. Remove the two screws
4. Pry off the overhead console on the back corners to release the push in clips and gently pull out the module. Be careful of the wire connector on the driver side of the console.
5. Remove the two screws holding the HomeLink module in place and swap.

Edit:
I programmed the buttons as I would have normally via another working visor remote but I did notice that I did not have to do the rolling code or Learn button. When pressed to open the door it would flash rapidly as if it needed the rolling code but the door still opened as normal.

edit .. snip ..

The orange label is the original RX module, blue label is the replacement part.

Nice option for folks who are willing to update the homeLink. The no modify option is to install a "Repeater" in the garage. Repeater receives the old standard signal from RX and retransmits the new standard signal to the homeLink new standard opener.

I went the extra mile by replacing my overhead unit with sunglass holder [went back wards], and installed a newer rearview view mirror with homeLink in the rearview mirror. This also solved night time issue with unlit homeLink buttons.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...d-console.html

Salim
Old 02-26-24, 08:01 AM
chas410
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I purchased a Tailwind garage door opening system.
Tailwind iQ3 Smart Automatic Garage Door Controller – Go Tailwind