RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Guidelines on Reverse Camera

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-13, 07:03 PM
Who_Me
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have the Nav

Originally Posted by dentate
Who me...there are 2 types of camera displays available in the RX - if you do not buy navigation and want only the camera display you get a small picture (about 3 inches square) in the rearview mirror, otherwise its a 7" screen on the navigation display. The Mark Levinson sound system is available on the new RX but as I understand not many USA dealers will order it for stock vehicles. I had it in my 2008 and have it in my 2013 and love it! I insisted on having the Blind Spot Monitoring system so I had to wait 3 months because it was not going to be available until August 2012!

dentate
Oshawa, ON &
Port Charlotte, FL
I have the Nav system, with the 7-inch display in the dash. I also have the Blind Spot Monitoring and Parking Assist. What I don't have are the guidelines, either in the mirror or on the Nav screen.
Old 12-02-13, 07:44 PM
CapeDave
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been entertaining the idea of test driving a Ford Edge. I really like my 2012 RX but I tend to like to try other cars as well. 24K miles. trouble free.
Old 12-04-13, 06:30 AM
Who_Me
Rookie

Default Must be a Great Car

Originally Posted by CapeDave
I have been entertaining the idea of test driving a Ford Edge. I really like my 2012 RX but I tend to like to try other cars as well. 24K miles. trouble free.
Although Consumer Reports doesn't give the Edge great ratings, everyone I know, who has an Edge, loves it. I also like the looks of the Buick SUV but I understand you have to present a birth certificate before you can buy it. They want to make sure you are at least Social Security age before putting you in the driver's seat.
Old 12-04-13, 03:10 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Add the 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee in that mix.
Personally, i'd go with a jeep before considering a Ford.
Obviously, the Jeep will give me more off road capability vs another CUV ( Edge).
Old 12-04-13, 04:18 PM
mshumack
Driver

Originally Posted by Who_Me
I also like the looks of the Buick SUV but I understand you have to present a birth certificate before you can buy it. They want to make sure you are at least Social Security age before putting you in the driver's seat.
"This is not your father's car" - well that's for Oldsmobile but still applies here
Old 12-09-13, 08:34 AM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Ford Edge Test Drive?

Lexus gave me a Ford Edge loaner while my 2011 RX was in for a few odds and ends concerns, none of which were serious. I found the Edge to have a nice dashboard and controls layout, excellent handling and nice overall, but did not have the fit and finish of our Lexus. I recommend you try one and decide for yourself. Just curious, what don't you like about your RX that has you considering an Edge? Fuel economy? Just a guess.
Ray
Old 12-11-13, 07:07 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts

I have never had a problem without the guidelines. It's not hard.
Old 12-12-13, 12:19 AM
CapeDave
Pole Position

Originally Posted by raylor4
Lexus gave me a Ford Edge loaner while my 2011 RX was in for a few odds and ends concerns, none of which were serious. I found the Edge to have a nice dashboard and controls layout, excellent handling and nice overall, but did not have the fit and finish of our Lexus. I recommend you try one and decide for yourself. Just curious, what don't you like about your RX that has you considering an Edge? Fuel economy? Just a guess.
Ray
There is pretty much nothing that I do not like about the Lexus. I sometimes think it has a bit too much stiffness, other times I do not. Just today I noticed that it felt nice and smooth. And the only thing different was that the roads were cold. It had been about 32 or lower for 2 days or so. I should also say, the roads here suck pretty bad.

Only sedans seem to get better fuel economy than the SUV/Crossover's that I like. And although I love sedans, I will never be that low again. I like the height. I hope I never ride in a big pickup, as I would love that height

Usually every 2 years I get some sort of itch to look at cars. And the Ford kind of snuck up on me. But those I had ridden in (never the 2014 edge) seemed very smooth and quiet. (I am not all that far from Social Security )
Old 12-12-13, 02:09 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

There is pretty much nothing that I do not like about the Lexus. I sometimes think it has a bit too much stiffness, other times I do not. Just today I noticed that it felt nice and smooth. And the only thing different was that the roads were cold. It had been about 32 or lower for 2 days or so. I should also say, the roads here suck pretty bad.

Only sedans seem to get better fuel economy than the SUV/Crossover's that I like. And although I love sedans, I will never be that low again. I like the height. I hope I never ride in a big pickup, as I would love that height

Usually every 2 years I get some sort of itch to look at cars. And the Ford kind of snuck up on me. But those I had ridden in (never the 2014 edge) seemed very smooth and quiet. (I am not all that far from Social Security )
Just stay away from the EcoBoost engines. Not because they are bad, only because you will find you are always spooling the turbo and your MPG numbers will suffer as a result.
Old 12-12-13, 08:54 PM
CapeDave
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Just stay away from the EcoBoost engines. Not because they are bad, only because you will find you are always spooling the turbo and your MPG numbers will suffer as a result.
Good tip, thanks. I think those are actually more expensive than the 6 also. That is weird!
Old 12-17-13, 04:49 PM
jajaxxon
Driver School Candidate

Our 2014 Acura MDX has them and they turn as you turn the car - excellent

2013 RX FX does not - I agree - disappointing
Old 12-17-13, 06:02 PM
timlrx11
Driver

Originally Posted by jajaxxon
Our 2014 Acura MDX has them and they turn as you turn the car - excellent

2013 RX FX does not - I agree - disappointing
Agreed... We just got a new 2014 Acura MDX SH-AWD as well. Love the guideline and curve when turning...
Old 12-31-16, 08:34 AM
irvb
Driver School Candidate

Default 2012 Camera Gridlines disappeared.

have a 2012 RX 350 and the Dynamic gridlines just disappeared. The dealer is checiking but originally said that the 2012 doesn't have gridlines.n
Originally Posted by mshumack
All of the backup camera systems I have seen (which are in Chevys) have superimposed guidelines on the camera view to help align the vehicle into the proper spot between the parking lot markings. I road tested a 2014 RX350 with Nav system (with backup camera) the other day and it did not have these guidelines. It just showed a nice rear view picture but offered no assistanace in aiming or aligning the vehicle when backing into the parking spot.

Is it just possible the guidelines were turned off in the Nav menu somehow?

On the other brand cars, the guidelines actaully curve as the sterring wheel is turned -so you can use those line to perfectly back into a space.
I have a 2012 RX 350 and the Dynamic gridlines just disappeared. The dealer is checiking but originally said that the 2012 doesn't have gridlines.n
It would be a big oversight IMO if Lexus didn't build this guideance feature into their backup system.