RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Auto Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-12, 03:31 AM
Sixtyplus
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Auto Headlights

Have a 2011 RX 350. We live on a small country road with lots of deer around. Do not like it when headlights go to low beam when speed drops below 20 km/hr. Is there anyway to disable that function. I realize I can put headlights in manual mode but then I forget and lights do not come on, or I forget to dim them when meeting cars.

Thanks

Dave
Old 01-11-12, 06:16 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I almost always drive in auto, but I'm thinking if you pull the stem towards you it will be brights. Only you have to hold it, making turning the steering wheel difficult if driving with both hands. Not something you want when deer hunting, errr deer avoiding.
Old 01-11-12, 08:13 AM
Mark86
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you can turn the feature off through the setup menu in the nav. Click the menu button, go to vehicle, and then light settings. I remember seeing the option to turn off auto brights when exploring.
Old 01-11-12, 12:59 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't remember the exploring mode, but I do remember being able to adjust how sensitive my lights were. I believe it is bright under 20. I'd have to try it.
Old 01-11-12, 01:26 PM
Alpy64
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Adjustment of the lights is via the menu but when the car does not move, P position and Power button switched "on", but if I remember, the menu itself is not so clear when choosing the light settings change, i.e. it's not friendly user or "intuitive", that means you have to test following changes to make sure there are OK.

Al
Old 01-11-12, 02:08 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Alpy,

Agreed, don't know why they don't have that "?" icon available like the Destination menu does, that would explain the function of each menu item.
Old 01-11-12, 02:11 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

I think sensitivity only applies the lights will come on depending on the amount of light is detects.
Old 01-11-12, 02:45 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 172 Likes on 146 Posts

OK happy, I deleted your second post

I also believe the sensitivity has to do with the auto on feature of the headlights IIRC. I wasn't aware the auto high beams shut off at lower speeds since I keep mine off all the time. Too many lights and traffic by me.

Last edited by kitlz; 01-11-12 at 02:56 PM.
Old 01-12-12, 10:24 AM
Mark86
Driver School Candidate

After some research, I found the information. The dealer can turn off the auto high beams for you.
http://www.lexus.com/pdf/service/RX_with_nav_LPS.pdf
Old 01-12-12, 11:17 AM
rxsuperman
Driver

Originally Posted by Mark86
After some research, I found the information. The dealer can turn off the auto high beams for you.
http://www.lexus.com/pdf/service/RX_with_nav_LPS.pdf
Why would you want the dealer to turn it off when you can control the auto high beam on or off from the left stalk? If the dealer turns it off, then you would lose that option of turning it on unless you go back to the dealer.
Old 01-12-12, 12:12 PM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

I believe the problem is that the OP has the Automatic High Beam feature, which automatically turns OFF the high beams below 20 MPH. The OP wants to be able to leave them ON below 20 MPH. The dealer can disable the automatic high beam feature, giving the OP full control of the high beams.

Although I rarely use the high beams on my cars, I do find the inability to control them a bit irritating. There have been times that I wanted them on, but the car thinks it's bright enough due to light reflected from street signs, and leaves them off. It just bothers me to have a car that thinks it knows what I want better than I do. I can see it with vehicle control issues like stability control or anti-lock braking, etc., because it's so much faster. But come on ..... gimme control of my high beams, OK?

I know, I know. Someone is going to tell me to adjust the sensitivity, but that's not the point, is it.

Woody
Old 01-12-12, 03:03 PM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The bottom line is that it is a convenience feature. If you want to have high beams on all the time turn the lights on all the way and push the stalk. The orignal poster said they were worried that they may forget them being on, well I guess you cant have it both ways. I would turn lights on when I want high beams all the time and let the auto thing do its thing in the city.
Old 01-12-12, 09:25 PM
EMSLEXUSRX
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't recall ever reading that the automatic high beams would turn to low beam below a certain speed. I thought it was just as it detects light. I know mine work that way. It's really nice to have on a dark country road. They automatically go back to the low beams when there's an oncoming car or some type of light.
They're rather sensitive when it comes to driving through my neighborhood though, driving around the urban Tampa area.
Old 01-13-12, 04:29 AM
Sixtyplus
Driver School Candidate

EMSLEXUSRX described what I am looking for. What year do you have and could you check that it does not auto dim when speed drops. My RX is a Canadian vesion and it does dim lights if your speed drops below 20 Km/h - about 12 mph. I want it to dim lights when it 'sees' other lights but when it is pitch dark out on a narrow country road with deer around, I want high beams. I'll check with dealer next time I'm in the area - about a 6 hour drive from me.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Sixtyplus AKA Dave
Old 01-13-12, 07:35 AM
kwbuggy
Driver

The easiest way to adjust this is leave the lights in the auto setting but not to push the adjustment stalk forward (toward the dash). This way the lights don't automatically move between high and low beam when driving in deer country. It is then very simple to push the stalk forward when you want the auto dim feature to function.
I find that using the driving (fog) lights is really useful on rural roads but they automatically turn off when the high beams come on. I don't know if that happens on US spec cars but in Canada it is illegal to run more than four front lights at the same time so that is why they are set up this way here.

Quick Reply: Auto Headlights