RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

What's Your Opinion of 2012 RX's?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-12, 05:12 AM
gffounder
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Thought You Were in My Michigan Neighborhood

Originally Posted by GRPFAN
I went from a 2000 Rx 300 w/90,000 miles.
Traded for our 2012 RX 350, and I think "I died and went to heaven."

I really believe you get what you pay for.

My problem now is keeping the Wisconsin salt off it.

Some weeks it gets more baths then me.........................
Ha ha ha ... I thought you were in my Michigan neighborhood with that remark! I assume you're happy about it as a big snow contender???
Old 01-19-12, 07:25 AM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts

If you're an agressive driver, you'll love the 2012 RX 350, it handles like a car and very stable on fast curves and sharp turns.
Old 01-19-12, 09:13 AM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As a former owner of the three pointed star I can only say that if you plan to keep it for a while make sure that you get an extended warranty.
Old 01-19-12, 10:34 AM
Alpy64
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gffounder
Well Alpy64, since you're in France you probably see many Mercedes on the road .. do you have any friends driving those??

I am also reviewing the Mercedes ML350 4MATIC as an alternative .. looks like superior technology inside and out for nearly the same money.

Thanks for all your valuable feedback!
hi gffounder. A friend if mine had the MB ML 320 CDI 4matic with full options (hydropneumatical absorbers, sidewalks, etc., etc.). Problem was consumption with roughly 19mpg (US) with diesel and cost for maintenance (diesel is much more expensive for regular maintenance). I can tell you he was happy to sell it!
I do not like theninterior of MB, not enough zen for me and the only SUV's I ever drove were my former Volvo xc90's.
With Lexus it's a good thing. I wanted silent (after a long working day, it is soothing /relaxing to go inside and drive, listening music or info, I particularly like the optitron and lighting of the dashboard with its white and clear/excellent lights, good ergonomics despite some "errors" and the use of the remote mouse like a trackpad Apple mouse, etc., discreet and more appreciated by others because of the hybrid system.
Al

Last edited by Alpy64; 01-19-12 at 12:24 PM.
Old 01-19-12, 03:16 PM
pismoj
Driver School Candidate

I probably would not buy a Lexus again. I don't think the engineering and technology is there compared to MB. I traded my GLK for the RX. I wanted more space and comfort which I got, but did not expect the hood to flap/flutter/vibrate at highway speeds. This has been documented by many drivers and verified as normal at my Lexus dealership. To me that is not satisfactory in a $50k vehicle. The mechanics say the hood metal is to thin with not enough support. My other issue is minor but very annoying. Not being able to use my old CD collection and have the artist and track identified was a surprise. The same CD's are read/identified in my previous GLK. Other than that it's a beautifully styled car and my wife loves it. I would check out the new ML350 4matic.
Old 01-19-12, 10:05 PM
Sfcyclist
Driver

You get mostly biased reviews here.. postive that is. It's a great car if you're looking for a mid size, luxury SUV. It's got the best value in it's class award too.
Old 01-19-12, 10:11 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

^ i never experienced flap/flutter/vibration of the hood at highway speed.
Any other RX owners care to contribute on this issue?

As a current owner of a Range Rover HSE, i have to say the RX 350 have my vote if ever i need to choose between the two.
Old 01-19-12, 10:27 PM
happy1977
Instructor

pismoj created this thread about it. I made an observation on a bright, sunny day and I didn't see anything on mine to what the others have seen on their RX, I asked my friend to see anything unusual too on the hood and he didn't noticed anything peculiar.
Old 01-19-12, 10:38 PM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

I checked out mine as well at 120K (70mph) and was not able to notice anything in mine. This does not mean it is not there and may have been addressed by the '12 model or in the 450h.
Old 01-20-12, 05:52 AM
k9shelly1
Driver

I can almost gaurantee you that the hood flutter is there on all of the 3rd gen RX's. Even after looking for it I couldn't see it. Its one of those "can't see the forrest for the trees" type of things. Once you see it you'll wonder how you could have missed it.
Old 01-20-12, 10:26 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

What's the pay off on your guarantee ??? I've been up to just a skosh over 90mph and the hood as well as the rest of the car was rock steady. Even the mpg gauge was steady just under 20mpg .
Originally Posted by k9shelly1
I can almost gaurantee you that the hood flutter is there on all of the 3rd gen RX's. Even after looking for it I couldn't see it. Its one of those "can't see the forrest for the trees" type of things. Once you see it you'll wonder how you could have missed it.
Old 01-20-12, 11:52 AM
happy1977
Instructor

Ok, I drove it again today and this time paying attention to the rear end of the hood. Going 76mph on a curving interstate on a windy Indiana weather, the hood didn't flutter, but as I hit a little bumps here and there, I see the flutter on the middle part of the back end of the hood, but that only happens when the road is rough, it does not flutter because of your speed or the wind. Again, that's just on my RX.
Old 01-20-12, 12:16 PM
Sfcyclist
Driver

I'm lost about the hood issue reported.. solid.. perhaps his hood was not secure?
Old 01-20-12, 02:15 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruiter
What's the pay off on your guarantee ??? I've been up to just a skosh over 90mph and the hood as well as the rest of the car was rock steady. Even the mpg gauge was steady just under 20mpg .
I haven't seen it either. I've driven my brothers 450h at 95+ mph, in extremely windy conditions and haven't noticed anything of that nature.
Old 01-20-12, 02:17 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by gffounder
Ha ha ha ... I thought you were in my Michigan neighborhood with that remark! I assume you're happy about it as a big snow contender???
Seeing as you are in Michigan, I think you will appreciate how well the RX does in the snow. I'm in Michigan about once a month, and though my RX is much older it handles the snow flawlessly.

The Mercedes will require more attention, than the Lexus. And, not in a good way. Not to mention, they aren't as smooth, or at least not in my experience.

Quick Reply: What's Your Opinion of 2012 RX's?