RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

RX450H too laggy from the stop?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-12, 11:39 AM
Larryc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX450H too laggy from the stop?

Hello Lexus owners,

I've just bought my first Lexus RX450H 2012 pearl white. I like everything about the car except the acceleration from a full stop. It seems that it takes too long to switch from battery to the engine if you want to accelerate fast enought. Right now I am always behind when the traffic-light turns green.

Is it normal for the RX hybrid to be so slow and laggy from the stop? Or it will improve with time (the car is still brand new). It seemed to be more responsive on the test drive

Also is there a way to turn the battery off?
Old 01-21-12, 12:17 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Arthur, welcome to CL. You'll like it here. And I like the color of your (h), I'm kinda biased toward it . Actually depending on how you drive it and have it set, it could/should be faster then the RX350. It has more ponies for one and a better CVT tranny. Now if you have it set in ECO mode than that might retard the throttle a little. If you turn it off, you'll notice better throttle response.

It's not a dragster, it's meant to give excellent economy so if you're trying to outrun everyone you'll loose the economy you paid for. Within a week after getting mine I realized I needed a new driving style to appreciate the reason I bought the car. So the radar detector went into a garage box.

Let us know what we can do to help you.
Originally Posted by Larryc
Hello Lexus owners,

I've just bought my first Lexus RX450H 2012 pearl white. I like everything about the car except the acceleration from a full stop. It seems that it takes too long to switch from battery to the engine if you want to accelerate fast enought. Right now I am always behind when the traffic-light turns green.

Is it normal for the RX hybrid to be so slow and laggy from the stop? Or it will improve with time (the car is still brand new). It seemed to be more responsive on the test drive

Also is there a way to turn the battery off?
Old 01-21-12, 12:30 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 169 Likes on 143 Posts

Welcome Larry and congrats on your 450h. Do you have it on eco mode? That retards the gas pedal and may explain the slower acceleration from a stop. Turn it off and have fun. But you'll have to take it easy for a while. No quick starts until at least 1K miles.
Old 01-21-12, 12:34 PM
TampaOwner
Driver

the RX has a slower acceloration than most other suvs... thats why people over spend for a BMW
Old 01-21-12, 12:57 PM
Larryc
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Cruiter, kitlz and Tampaowner for your replies.

Cruiter, yes, I do not expect it to beat X5 or Q7 (if we are not talking about the economy ), but all average vehicles, even a 1.8l hondas have quicker start. On my RX450 it feels like a big laggy turbo car when it takes a while to start gaining (lag), but when the turbo started spooling, then nothing can stop it. I like how RX responds when cruising, but from a stop it feels like dead for now

Kitlz, I'll double check the ECO mode tomorrow, not sure if it's turned off. I've mostly played with AC, bluetooth handsfree and Navi Trying to be gentle with it, but still, would be great to be less laggy. I know that some cars become more responsive after 2-3k miles. Hope this is also the case.

TampaOwner, I agree, BMW is pretty fast, especially 4.0D, but still it's not only about 0-100. I've tested BMW X5 4.0D 225 kw before buying Lexus. It's a fast car, but too stiff. You feel every small bump on the road (this gets annoying pretty fast). The seats are not as comfy as Lexus or MB ML350D. Also the new interior smells like cheap plastic, not like leather in Lexus, MB. For this price they ask for an X5 I would exect more.

I've also tested MB ML350 diesel 2012. The interior looks great (I liked it better than Lexus and BMW), seats are very comfy, it had pneumatic suspension which is great. On the other side, ML is awful on turns, the body bends too much so it's uncomfortable and sometimes even scary to drive it and this happens even in Sports mode.

Lexus appeared to be the best choice in terms of price/quality.
Old 01-21-12, 01:04 PM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

Turn off the eco mode is the best answer (if you have it on). If you do not then I would say hit the throttle harder

The RX is not a slouch compared to other entry level (read: smaller) luxury SUVs. It has (both the 350 and 450) a ~7.4 sec 0-60 (http://autos.aol.com/cars-Lexus-RX+3...expert-review/) while the BMW X3 has a 0-60 in the 7.6 second range (http://autos.aol.com/cars-BMW-X3-2012/overview/) When compared to the Infiniti EX35 it can get spanked due to the 6.0 sec time (http://autos.aol.com/cars-Lexus-RX+3...expert-review/) and the MB GLK splits the difference at 6.5 (http://autos.aol.com/cars-Lexus-RX+3...expert-review/) The only real complaint about the RX is the softness compared to the other brands - which is what you are paying for anyway. IMO, if anyone wanted "sporty" they wouldn't have been shopping the SUV lot.

Last edited by MX5NES350; 01-21-12 at 01:08 PM.
Old 01-21-12, 04:20 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

I can see from one angle that you are experiencing the lag from the engine coming back to life. However, on the other side, I have never had a problem keeping up with traffic nor have a turbo like feeling.

ECO mode is the only thing I can think of too...
Old 01-22-12, 12:16 PM
Alpy64
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Arthur, welcome to CL. You'll like it here. And I like the color of your (h), I'm kinda biased toward it . Actually depending on how you drive it and have it set, it could/should be faster then the RX350. It has more ponies for one and a better CVT tranny. Now if you have it set in ECO mode than that might retard the throttle a little. If you turn it off, you'll notice better throttle response.

It's not a dragster, it's meant to give excellent economy so if you're trying to outrun everyone you'll loose the economy you paid for. Within a week after getting mine I realized I needed a new driving style to appreciate the reason I bought the car. So the radar detector went into a garage box.

Let us know what we can do to help you.
To LarryC, what Cruiter says is quite "perfect" and Fully agree with the comment.
Having a RX450hybrid, you need to change your driving style otherwise buy a RX 350 or another SUV. Hybrid need a period of adaptation to fully understand how it's work and how to drive with respect to environment and to save petrol and produce less emissions than the others around you.
I have drastically change my behavior from SUV Volvo XC90 to my 1st Hybrid RX400h Black edition and now to a RX 450h. Starting is now reasonable and try to listen the silence, with good music with excellent comfort. Keep cool.
You must deactivate the "ECO MODE" via the button on the steering wheel. But you will loose the advantage of driving more positive for environment and less consumption. It's a choice.
Have fun anyway with this very pleasant car

However, after reading responses from others and if problem persists, come back to your car dealer as it may be a fine tuning to do otherwise, even when ECO MODE is engaged when you really put pressure on the pedal, mine is starting as usual quite faster than other SUV's (ECO mOde deactivates automatically based on the acceleration pressure you ask.

Last edited by Alpy64; 01-22-12 at 12:21 PM.
Old 01-23-12, 11:16 AM
Larryc
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the advices once again. Today I've turned off the ECO mode and EV (now ECO doesn't glow on full stop, but turns on when I cruise I think). It seems to be more responsive from the start now.
Old 01-23-12, 01:44 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 169 Likes on 143 Posts

That's great news. The eco light will turn on when you're driving efficiently. It's also on the 350. You can't turn that one off. When eco mode is engaged, the light will appear below it and stay on. So technically you could have two lights on at once. It turns into a game trying to keep the eco light on while driving for as long as possible. Save eco mode for the warmer months and when you want the better mileage at the expense of quick starts and acceleration. EV is for stealth mode (electric only), but only up to 27 MPH.
Old 01-23-12, 01:46 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Larry, the "eco mode" light and the blinking "eco" leaf shaped light refer to two different things. I know it is confusing.

Eco mode refers to the actual retardation of the pedal to maximize fuel economy. It also adjusts your air conditioning/heat to be less effective but more efficient. This can be turned on and off by clicking on the steering wheel menu/folders button and scrolling down.

Eco leaf shaped light just tells you when you are driving efficiently. It will usually be off when you are at a dead stop, but turn on when you are moving. If you stay within the green band off the energy meter, it will remain lit to tell you that you are driving "greenly." It is a redundant light IMO.

EV mode tells the car to run solely on electric. You will not be able to get past 27mph in this mode, and any jack rabbit starts are excessive pedal pressure will turn it off automatically.
Old 01-23-12, 01:54 PM
rxsuperman
Driver

Originally Posted by kitlz
That's great news. The eco light will turn on when you're driving efficiently. It's also on the 350. You can't turn that one off. When eco mode is engaged, the light will appear below it and stay on. So technically you could have two lights on at once. It turns into a game trying to keep the eco light on while driving for as long as possible. Save eco mode for the warmer months and when you want the better mileage at the expense of quick starts and acceleration. EV is for stealth mode (electric only), but only up to 27 MPH.
I don't know about the RX450 but on the RX350, you can turn the ECO light off on the steering wheel buttons because some drivers find that light blinking on and off annoying.
Old 01-23-12, 02:27 PM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by rxsuperman
I don't know about the RX450 but on the RX350, you can turn the ECO light off on the steering wheel buttons because some drivers find that light blinking on and off annoying.
I've been trying to let the wife know she needs to pay attention to the green light. Not working. So my new strategy is to tell her to pretend she has a cup of hot coffee in the cup holder with the light grey interior and DO NOT SPILL IT. To date, still not working.

Me? Getting 21.3 50/50 combined with a REAL cup o' joe.
Old 01-23-12, 11:55 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Larry ... I think you are just experiencing one of the differences of driving a hybrid. It is quieter and the engine is off ... so you are thinking that it is lagging. But, once you get used to the car the sensation you are now experiencing will disappear. The car is responsive and you will stop second guessing your start-ups when you get a feel for the car.