RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Picking up my RX - what do i need to know?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-12, 03:06 AM
ScottosAU
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picking up my RX - what do i need to know?

Hi all, I've tracked down a 3rd gen RX350 (2009) model at a BMW dealer. Im driving interstate at the end of the week to pick it up.

Ordinarily, if I bought the car from a Lexus dealer, I would get the full rundown on the features of the car. But since I'm buying it used from a BMW dealer, they will be pretty clueless.

So does anyone car to share what they were told when they bought their car new?

As an example, i test drove an RX at a Lexus dealership a couple of weeks ago, and the salesman mentioned something about if the key fob goes flat, you can hold it up to the start button for 5 seconds and get enough charge to start the car? Is that right?

Any insights that can be shared would really be appreciated thank you.

Regards,

Scott.
Old 01-23-12, 03:36 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 171 Likes on 145 Posts

Scott, congrats on finding one. The salesman was correct about the key fob. You might want to change the batteries to be on the safe side. It's part of the service here in the US.

Your best bet is to read the manuals. There is a plethora of information in there. Your first concerns will probably be setting up your phone and making seat/climate adjustments. They can be done through the phone/setup screens on nav. Important note, the RX has to be on to make these changes and be sure to click save. Take your time playing around with all the features. If you do not receive the manuals for some reason, you can order new ones from Lexus.
Old 01-23-12, 04:19 AM
ScottosAU
Driver School Candidate

Hi Anita, thanks, and good point about reading the manuals. I pick up the vehicle on Saturday and then drive 1,000kms home on Sunday, so some familiarity with the car would be a good idea.

I did have a 30 minute test drive a couple of weeks back and managed to figure out a fair bit. It's great how intuitive the vehicle is in many ways.

Picking some spare batteries up for the key fobs is probably a good idea. I'd hate to be stuck in a country town halfway home.

Originally Posted by kitlz
Scott, congrats on finding one. The salesman was correct about the key fob. You might want to change the batteries to be on the safe side. It's part of the service here in the US.

Your best bet is to read the manuals. There is a plethora of information in there. Your first concerns will probably be setting up your phone and making seat/climate adjustments. They can be done through the phone/setup screens on nav. Important note, the RX has to be on to make these changes and be sure to click save. Take your time playing around with all the features. If you do not receive the manuals for some reason, you can order new ones from Lexus.
Old 01-23-12, 08:08 AM
rxsuperman
Driver

Originally Posted by ScottosAU
Hi all, I've tracked down a 3rd gen RX350 (2009) model at a BMW dealer. Im driving interstate at the end of the week to pick it up.

Ordinarily, if I bought the car from a Lexus dealer, I would get the full rundown on the features of the car. But since I'm buying it used from a BMW dealer, they will be pretty clueless.

So does anyone car to share what they were told when they bought their car new?

As an example, i test drove an RX at a Lexus dealership a couple of weeks ago, and the salesman mentioned something about if the key fob goes flat, you can hold it up to the start button for 5 seconds and get enough charge to start the car? Is that right?

Any insights that can be shared would really be appreciated thank you.

Regards,

Scott.

I thought the 2009 model would be 2nd gen and 3rd gen starts with 2010 model. 3rd gen has the rear wiper hidden under the spoiler whereas 2nd gen rear wiper is exposed at the bottom of the back window.
Old 01-23-12, 11:25 AM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most important thing people who are new to my car need to know is:

A) how to start it. Put your foot on the brake, then when it says "ready" on the dash you can go into gear and drive. Sounds simple but it is actually funny to watch them try and start it and go if they did not do it in that order. They get all flustered and turn it on, turn it off, go into neutral etc.

B) Dont forget to turn it off when you get where your going. This is more for the Hybrids but I have heard regular RX owners do this as well.

All the rest is just semantics and adjustments. It IS all in the manual but the people here are a huge base of information and are more than willing to help. Enjoy the new ride.
Old 01-23-12, 12:24 PM
GRPFAN
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Picking some spare batteries up for the key fobs is probably a good idea. I'd hate to be stuck in a country town halfway home.
Anyone know the battery and #'s for the 2012 RX fob?
Old 01-23-12, 02:01 PM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by GRPFAN
Anyone know the battery and #'s for the 2012 RX fob?
No change from 2011 - CR1632

eBay is probably cheapest or just go down to your local Radio Shack and they can hook you up. I went annually for my old ES.

Here is a thread on it:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...placement.html

Eric
Old 01-23-12, 02:15 PM
GRPFAN
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MX5NES350
No change from 2011 - CR1632

eBay is probably cheapest or just go down to your local Radio Shack and they can hook you up. I went annually for my old ES.

Here is a thread on it:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...placement.html

Eric
Thanks much Eric.
I'm going to run some errands tomorrow and will stock up just in case.
Once a year change makes since to me.
Old 01-23-12, 02:24 PM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by GRPFAN
Thanks much Eric.
I'm going to run some errands tomorrow and will stock up just in case.
Once a year change makes since to me.
Welcome. Trust me, it sucks when your remote doesn't work when you grab the handle... twice... three times... at all
Old 01-23-12, 03:28 PM
ScottosAU
Driver School Candidate

The new RX350 is made in Japan for our (Australian) market, perhaps because it is right hand drive. And also perhaps because of this, we received the new gen RX slightly ahead of North America? I don't know that for sure, but I can confirm that the first of the latest generation RX models in Australia started in March 2009.

My car has the wiper under the rear spoiler and the mouse style controller for the GPS. Its definitely the new model.

Originally Posted by rxsuperman
I thought the 2009 model would be 2nd gen and 3rd gen starts with 2010 model. 3rd gen has the rear wiper hidden under the spoiler whereas 2nd gen rear wiper is exposed at the bottom of the back window.
Old 01-23-12, 03:30 PM
ScottosAU
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Jarius, thats good to know.

Originally Posted by InRBigness
Most important thing people who are new to my car need to know is:

A) how to start it. Put your foot on the brake, then when it says "ready" on the dash you can go into gear and drive. Sounds simple but it is actually funny to watch them try and start it and go if they did not do it in that order. They get all flustered and turn it on, turn it off, go into neutral etc.

B) Dont forget to turn it off when you get where your going. This is more for the Hybrids but I have heard regular RX owners do this as well.

All the rest is just semantics and adjustments. It IS all in the manual but the people here are a huge base of information and are more than willing to help. Enjoy the new ride.
Old 01-23-12, 03:59 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 171 Likes on 145 Posts

Scott, the RX will warn you twice if it's still on or in accessory mode and you exit. The first is a beeping noise when you open the door, the second is a series of three beeps when you close the door. Key not detected will also display in the center dash screen. Don't worry, you'll get used to using it and really enjoy keyless entry and push button start. They are some of the best features on the RX IMO. Same with remote touch.

A few other things I should mention, make sure you turn the RX off completely to avoid the beeps before you open the door. It can be confusing and annoying. The other time this happens is when the moon roof is open. A message will display on the dash screen. A quick way to close it without getting back in and turning on the RX is to insert the key from the fob into the driver side door and turn left. It will lock and close the moon roof and any open windows. Conversely, turning the key to the right will open everything, so will pressing and holding the unlock button on the fob.

Last edited by kitlz; 01-23-12 at 04:22 PM.
Old 01-23-12, 04:06 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ScottAU if you want your side mirrors to automatically move downward when you start backing up ( Reverse)
make sure that one of the two buttons ( L or R) is lit.
otherwise, if both of them are OFF ( Neutral position) then the side mirrors will stay as is.
Old 01-24-12, 01:19 AM
ScottosAU
Driver School Candidate

Hi Mark, thats a great tip thank you. I actually have the model that has the sideview cam in the passenger rearview mirror - I wonder if the camera view gets interrupted by the mirror angling down? I imagine it would.

Originally Posted by markrivers
ScottAU if you want your side mirrors to automatically move downward when you start backing up ( Reverse)
make sure that one of the two buttons ( L or R) is lit.
otherwise, if both of them are OFF ( Neutral position) then the side mirrors will stay as is.
Old 01-24-12, 02:06 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Hi Mark, thats a great tip thank you. I actually have the model that has the sideview cam in the passenger rearview mirror - I wonder if the camera view gets interrupted by the mirror angling down? I imagine it would.
I'm guessing, as I don't have that option, that the camera is in the "housing" and only the mirror "glass" move up and down. The housing would be stationary, unless of course you have the option where the housing folds in and out. Then your question about the camera might apply. Although I would think when you put the car in reverse (or perhaps just starting the car) the housings would fold out putting the camera back into position.

Quick Reply: Picking up my RX - what do i need to know?