RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Adding a 2012 RX 450h to garage today

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-12, 08:23 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 517 Likes on 386 Posts
Default Adding a 2012 RX 450h to garage today

Never owned a hybid but after the test drive yesterday, I walked away impressed. Much nicer ride than I expected and more quiet! They must have loaded it up with some sound insulation as I was impressed.

Any points or tips for a new 450h owner, will not pick it up till after 5pm today. It will be Tungsten Pearl?

Last edited by ggebhardt; 01-31-12 at 11:12 AM.
Old 01-31-12, 09:01 AM
JimH2
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Only tip is to read some of the manual(s) over time to get familiar with all the menu choices (ECO mode, etc.) and set up of the various options. Tons of info. in the manuals.

I saw that reference to a 454h in the last sentence, and was thinking a 454 chevy engine had been dropped into the RX !
Old 01-31-12, 09:14 AM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Enjoy. The manual is good to read but then again so was War and Peace and none of us did unless we had a paper due on it. If you have any questions there are a lot of us here with the 450H and many more with the 350.

Do a quick search then if you can not find the answer, just ask and people here are more than happy to help.

My best advice is summed up in this thread : https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...d-to-know.html

Most important thing people who are new to my car need to know is:

A) how to start it. Put your foot on the brake and push the starter button, then when it says "ready" on the dash you can go into gear and drive. Sounds simple but it is actually funny to watch them try and start it and go if they did not do it in that order. They get all flustered and turn it on, turn it off, go into neutral etc.

B) Dont forget to turn it off when you get where your going. This is more for the Hybrids but I have heard regular RX owners do this as well. The darn thing is so quiet you will forget. It will chirp like crazy to let you know however and wont let you lock it with the touch handle.

All the rest is just semantics and adjustments. It IS all in the manual but the people here are a huge base of information and are more than willing to help. Enjoy the new ride.
Old 01-31-12, 09:14 AM
BertL
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Congratulations! Good suggestion to take a long look at the manuals, mark some of the pages, then be sure to sit in your new ride out in the garage and play with settings. If you want to get started, the Lexus site has them online for you here. I'm sure your salesperson will give you a first orientation, but with more than 1000 pages in the manuals, it takes most of us a little more time. Since this is your first hybrid, also, pay attention to the various new sounds (or lack thereof) in your new ride -- nothing to worry with, but it took me a few days to get used to the lack of an engine running when running on all electric or at stop lights, and when regeneration is taking place when you apply the brakes. It's all common place for me now since I've had my previous gen RX400h since it first came out, and I look forward to my own new RX450h very soon!

Have a fun evening with your new toy!
Old 01-31-12, 09:26 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 114 Posts

Hahahahaha Congrats to you. I just got one myself this last Sat.
Old 01-31-12, 11:19 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Thanks everyone.

Not a big a manual reader but enjoy figuring it out for myself. I am driving an 2010 LX570 so I am somewhat OK with how Lexus does things.

I was lucky and got one with all the options except the ML radio, radar, LED. I will be happy with HID as even my LX does not have such a thing!
Old 01-31-12, 12:46 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
Thanks everyone.

Not a big a manual reader but enjoy figuring it out for myself. I am driving an 2010 LX570 so I am somewhat OK with how Lexus does things.

I was lucky and got one with all the options except the ML radio, radar, LED. I will be happy with HID as even my LX does not have such a thing!
But....you LX's built and finish are better than the RXh. I was searching for a used LX570 and they are rare. If you find one then the price is still in in 60 large for an 08 model.
Old 01-31-12, 03:33 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Thread is useless without pics.....
Old 01-31-12, 03:47 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 172 Likes on 146 Posts

Congrats Greg and great color choice No need for me to regurgitate what's been said already. Your test on the owners manuals is this Friday Plan to be a little overwhelmed by all the features and the newness driving a hybrid. Don't worry it's normal. Lots of questions have been asked and answered here. Most importantly, take your time and enjoy the ride.

Oh and like Happy said, pictures are mandatory
Old 01-31-12, 03:56 PM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

enjoy the car it is fun to drive
Old 01-31-12, 06:34 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Congratulations on your new ride! i feel good every time i see owners of trucks ( LX, GX ) appreciate the ride of the RX.i know they're apples and oranges. Im glad to know i'm not part of the minority.
Old 01-31-12, 06:52 PM
lapdrn
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Post pics. Be proud of your new rides.
Old 01-31-12, 10:34 PM
CapeDave
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulations on your new ride. You will love it.
Old 02-01-12, 04:42 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GoHuskers
But....you LX's built and finish are better than the RXh. I was searching for a used LX570 and they are rare. If you find one then the price is still in in 60 large for an 08 model.
LX inverntory must be getting more loose as my dealer in Jacksonville has 2 unsold units if you want black or white. I am NOT selling my LX. Just adding the RX to the garage. The dealer told me tthey wanted my LX for a trade and I laughed!

Originally Posted by happy1977
Thread is useless without pics.....
Sorry, it will be a useless thread till this weekend when I have more time.

Originally Posted by kitlz
Congrats Greg and great color choice No need for me to regurgitate what's been said already. Your test on the owners manuals is this Friday Plan to be a little overwhelmed by all the features and the newness driving a hybrid. Don't worry it's normal. Lots of questions have been asked and answered here. Most importantly, take your time and enjoy the ride.

Oh and like Happy said, pictures are mandatory
Thanks very much. I will fail at the manual test. I will depend on getting a few questions answer here till I can read up, but like I said, I am not a manual person.

The new h put a smile on my face on the way home last night. I reset the MPG before I left my dealer and got 29+ mpg in mixed highway and stop and go traffic. The LX would be getting 13 to 14 in the same! Handling seem quite nimble compared to what I am used to, almost sporty in the turn compared tot he LX!

Mine did not come with the roof rack and the dealer said they had ordered it along with my hitch kit. I like so much with out the roof rack, I will skip the install. The hitch is needed for the JetSki.

Originally Posted by billy44bo
enjoy the car it is fun to drive
Thanks Sir. I will enjoy it!
Old 02-01-12, 04:45 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by markrivers
Congratulations on your new ride! i feel good every time i see owners of trucks ( LX, GX ) appreciate the ride of the RX.i know they're apples and oranges. Im glad to know i'm not part of the minority.
Even though the 450h is lighter than the LX, Lexus did a great job on the suspension in my opinion. They also must have put a lot of sound insulation onboard as the interior is way more quiet than I expected.

Quick Reply: Adding a 2012 RX 450h to garage today