RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Headlight Lens

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-12, 06:05 PM
GRPFAN
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Headlight Lens

I just traded my 2000 RX300 in December, and was very careful when scrubbing bugs off my head light lens. After some years, they start to turn dull and foggy.

I seen some lens on newer RX's that were fogged over by using harsh abrasives on them.

I have a touring motorcycle, and if anyone knows any thing about cycles, those windshields on cycles can scratch very easy using the wrong abrasives, even paper toweling (wood fibers) when cleaning and removing bugs.

I use on my cycle windshield and on all my 2012 RX 350 lens a special spray-on cleaner/wax that is completely safe for any plastic/lexon lens covers or soft windshields.

Another product thats safe and works great for removing bugs (believe it or not) is Peroxide.

What do you use?
Old 02-02-12, 07:16 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by GRPFAN
I just traded my 2000 RX300 in December, and was very careful when scrubbing bugs off my head light lens. After some years, they start to turn dull and foggy.

I seen some lens on newer RX's that were fogged over by using harsh abrasives on them.

I have a touring motorcycle, and if anyone knows any thing about cycles, those windshields on cycles can scratch very easy using the wrong abrasives, even paper toweling (wood fibers) when cleaning and removing bugs.

I use on my cycle windshield and on all my 2012 RX 350 lens a special spray-on cleaner/wax that is completely safe for any plastic/lexon lens covers or soft windshields.

Another product thats safe and works great for removing bugs (believe it or not) is Peroxide.

What do you use?
Nothing on my car, it doesn't need it. On my BMW bike I used semichrome. It was a paste in a tube that worked on everything from the pipes to the Plexiglas windshield. It was good stuff.
Old 02-03-12, 03:23 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Sounds like they didn't follow the instructions on the box. Some headlight restoration kits include two grades off sandpaper, a fine polish, and a bottle of headlight protectant. The headlight protectant contains UV protectant to retard the aging process.

Bounce dryer sheets work to remove bugs if you don't have a commercial product available. Moisten the bug(s), moisten the dryer sheet, place the sheet on the bug, let them set together for a minute or less, rub gently, and then rinse off throughly with clear water. Do not let the dryer sheet or the "soap" from the dryer sheet makes sit and dry on the car, it is difficult to remove if allowed to dry.

Again if you don't have a commercial headlight protectant, a coat of wax on a clean headlight will aid bug removal in the future.
Old 02-03-12, 05:38 AM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

Quick Detailer and a microfiber cloth
Old 02-03-12, 06:07 AM
GRPFAN
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DunWkg
Sounds like they didn't follow the instructions on the box. Some headlight restoration kits include two grades off sandpaper, a fine polish, and a bottle of headlight protectant. The headlight protectant contains UV protectant to retard the aging process.
I was referring to just daily washing using dirty scrub pads.
My neighbor was using Brillo pads one day on his truck to get the bugs off his grill and headlights.
Old 02-03-12, 07:04 AM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

I was referring to just daily washing using dirty scrub pads.
My neighbor was using Brillo pads one day on his truck to get the bugs off his grill and headlights.
Oh good Lord. And you LET him?
Old 02-03-12, 07:07 AM
Alpy64
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In addition, be careful, high pressure washing water for cars contains aggressive products for headlight lens if the spraying bar is to close to the lens (it' also depends on the lens quality of course)
Old 02-03-12, 10:55 AM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well Brillo pads are really bad but also just as bad is the Magic Erasers. They are like little tiny Tigers. They look furry and soft but have huge teeth. They are very abrasive even though they appear soft and cuddly.
Old 02-03-12, 06:16 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I just keep three coats of Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax on my lenses. Nothing really sticks. I just use a normal new sponge to hand wash the RX. BUT, I do not have the bug problem here in CA that you can get in the summertime in the Midwest. There shouldn't be any bugs up there now ... I hope your not finally getting to last summers bugs .

Anyway, your neighbor has the right idea ... park the RX and just drive a winter car that you can do anything to for a few months. My family owns a nice lake home in MN and and up until this past year six farms ... the easiest way to get through the winter is just to own an extra car setup for the abuse if possible.

Last edited by UCSB; 02-03-12 at 06:35 PM.