RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Free Car Washes

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-12, 11:54 AM
ChitChat
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Free Car Washes

Who doesn't love a free car wash when you bring your car in for service!

But, I was wondering, do they hand wash the car as Lexus recommends or do they run the car through a standard car wash? It seems as though they always take my car to a private area and I've never been able to see their operation.

The reason I ask is because ever since I got my 2010, I'm the only one who has personally hand washed my car with great care. The other day I was standing by my car talking to someone and he commented how nice my car was, but it's a shame it has swirls from the car wash. I said, it's never been in a car wash and I only wash my car in downward strokes, never in a circle.

Then I started to wonder if the 3-4 times I've gotten a free car wash from the dealership could have caused the swirls? I never noticed it until he pointed it out and it was noticable in the darkness under a street light.
Old 02-03-12, 12:30 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

My dealer has a portable car wash. They drive the car in and the brushes move over it. The only hand part is drying. I skip it when I'm in for service. Recently I was looking at an obsidian RX loaner with plenty of swirls on it visible in low light. So the potential to damage paint is possible especially since Lexus paint is on the soft side. How and what do you use to dry your RX?
Old 02-03-12, 12:40 PM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Drying is a huge source of swirlmarks. My dealer hand washes the car but I told them not to dry it.
Old 02-03-12, 01:17 PM
the lof
Driver School Candidate

At my dealer, it's a fast hand wash, I always do a pass on the wash. Also note, nothing is free, passing on the car wash, they deduct $20 off the quoted estimate (without asking). If there was no deduction, I still wouldn't let them wash the car (2010 black sapphire pearl).
Old 02-03-12, 01:54 PM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

I'm taking mine to the touchless/laser wash and/or handwashing weather permitting. I noticed after a few months the dealer detailed "hide everything" wax is beginning to wear off and I can now see the free dealer installed scratch options. Nothing an afternoon and Chemical Guys cannot take care of. Besides, I have 3 other vehicles and a motorcycle to do so I can now plan for a nice long weekend

In the interim, in case anyone wants to know, Turtle Wax makes a detailer for black vehicles I have become fond of at the moment. Basically it is quick detailer with a little bit of black mixed in to fill in find scratches and swirls. While I do not consider it a long term option is DOES help fill in the above mentioned dealer installed options quite nicely. Spray, wipe, buff with fresh microfiber.
Old 02-03-12, 07:56 PM
ChitChat
Rookie

Originally Posted by kitlz
My dealer has a portable car wash. They drive the car in and the brushes move over it. The only hand part is drying. I skip it when I'm in for service. Recently I was looking at an obsidian RX loaner with plenty of swirls on it visible in low light. So the potential to damage paint is possible especially since Lexus paint is on the soft side. How and what do you use to dry your RX?

I use the Di Microfiber Waffle Weave Drying Towel:

Old 02-03-12, 09:49 PM
Silver10
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Always refuse the "FREE" car wash at the dealer as they mostly use a drive through with brushes and reclaimed water that stinks to high heaven
Old 02-03-12, 09:55 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts

I only do laser car wash and air blower for drying . But I forgot twice to ask what kind of car wash our dealer has.
Old 02-04-12, 05:29 AM
BertL
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ChitChat

I too always turn down the complimentary wash, as no matter what the wash may be (brush, laser, hand), the touch-up drying process generally involves towels that are beyond my control. I too have exclusively used microfiber waffle weave towels for years with great results.
Old 02-04-12, 06:16 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by ChitChat

I use DI towels too. They're great. Make sure to wash them in microfiber detergent. As for the scratches it might be time to use something to temporarily fill them like MX5NES350 mentioned since the weather isn't ideal for a full detail. Also, wash from side to side, working from the top down instead of going up and down. This way the dirt from the lower part of the car isn't introduced to the upper part. Grit guard is a must. After drying follow up with a QD to add shine and make the next wash easier. And pass on the dealer washes. Good luck.
Old 02-04-12, 09:21 AM
kartah
Driver School Candidate

In the past, I used to think to myself (when I had my IS300), am I the only one that cares about their car the way I do. Worrying about every little ding or scratch it may sustain from everyday activities such as street parking to which car wash I take it to. And now that I drive the RX and actually just got my first car wash yesterday through a hand wash place nearby, I realized that I was the only car owner who was drying the car himself and finishing up all the little details. While everyone else was just standing and waiting for the workers to finish up drying. After reading this post, I feel I'm not alone. And thanks for all the great tips. My car is still under 5K so I haven't the need to take it back to the dealer for the first service yet. Will have to see if it's hand or portable car washes.
Old 02-04-12, 09:23 AM
BertL
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by kartah
In the past, I used to think to myself (when I had my IS300), am I the only one that cares about their car the way I do. Worrying about every little ding or scratch it may sustain from everyday activities such as street parking to which car wash I take it to. And now that I drive the RX and actually just got my first car wash yesterday through a hand wash place nearby, I realized that I was the only car owner who was drying the car himself and finishing up all the little details. While everyone else was just standing and waiting for the workers to finish up drying. After reading this post, I feel I'm not alone. And thanks for all the great tips. My car is still under 5K so I haven't the need to take it back to the dealer for the first service yet. Will have to see if it's hand or portable car washes.
Welcome to the family!