RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Comparisons of 2012 RX350 to 2012 BMW X5

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-12, 06:58 PM
jac17
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Comparisons of 2012 RX350 to 2012 BMW X5

This is our first adventure into the luxury vehicle market and have narrowed our choices down to the BMW x5 and the Lexus RX350. In truth, we like the X5 better, but do have concerns about overall maintenance charges after the initial warranties. We tend to keep our cars for 10+ years, so interested in any insight regarding past experiences comparing these 2 on what we can expect from charges (relying on any research you may have done if you also compared these vehicles). Because of past biases, I must admit we are leaning towards the RX350 because we feel that it will be cheaper down the road from a maintenance perspective. Welcome your views and appreciate the input.
Old 02-07-12, 07:04 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

you need to compare the X5 to the GX, not the RX 350.
but if you insist, definitely the RX 350 will cost lesser than the X5.
in terms of towing, you can tow a lot more with your X5, the RX 350 FWD is not even recommended for towing.

you said 10 years, factoring that in, i would go with a Lexus.
i will never own as BMW out of warranty, because it can get pretty expensive once you hit that road
Old 02-07-12, 07:17 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts

If you go with looks, X5 and RX350 wins over GX. For longevity, go with Lexus.
Old 02-07-12, 07:21 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by happy1977
If you go with looks, X5 and RX350 wins over GX. For longevity, go with Lexus.
+ 1 on the looks.
although the GX has a certain market that would disagree with us
@jac how about the X3 if you really like the BMW brand?
are the 3rd row seats that important to you?
even though the X5 has it, i consider them as kid's seats, especially if you're doing a long drive, 3 hours or more.
Old 02-07-12, 08:34 PM
jac17
Driver School Candidate

thanks so far for the replies. I should have stated that we aren't even thinking about a 3rd seat in the x5. So just comparing the RX350 and X5 pretty much straight up - and thinking about the maintenance after initial warranties. Really appreciate your insights and others that may comment.
Old 02-07-12, 09:50 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by markrivers
+ 1 on the looks.
although the GX has a certain market that would disagree with us
@jac how about the X3 if you really like the BMW brand?
are the 3rd row seats that important to you?
even though the X5 has it, i consider them as kid's seats, especially if you're doing a long drive, 3 hours or more.
LOL, I'm not saying the GX is ugly, I'm just saying that the X5 and RX are pretty sleek in design, which the description won't even fit on the GX.

I'm sure no one would say "Dude, that's sick ride" to a GX. But then again, I could be wrong.
Old 02-08-12, 03:39 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

I agree, with what other's have said, I'd never own a BMW out of warranty either.
Old 02-08-12, 05:57 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

I was in the same boat couple months ago. Comparing between the MDX, X5, and GX460 (since I also own a 2010 RX350 so I don't want another one). Really like the GX but could not find the color combo nationwide (white with Sepia) and don't want to wait 3-4 months. Ruled out the MDX because of the BUTTONS and the quality feel. Really love the X5 for the looks and the drive but hesitate for the long-term quality. I then said why NOT 2 RXes, a 350 and a 450h.....I then comparing comparable options between the X5 and the RXh and the X5 would cost me about $65k or so while the RXh can be had for about $52k (MSRP of $57k). Finally I got a 450h with Black/Black and really happy with it for now.......

It's a GOOD time to buy a RX. Low interest rates of 1.9% for 60 mos, $1500 Conquest rebates if you own other luxury makes, $1000 for Graduate Cash rebate......and you can get it at INVOICE or below before these rebates....

Good luck.
Old 02-08-12, 06:05 AM
BertL
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

As others have said, I wouldn't own a BMW again due to extraordinary post-warranty service costs, poor customer service, combined with reliability issues I had with my 2009 BMW (335i). I sold it last fall for those reasons, even though it was a real performance car that was fun to drive. I've never had the same types of problems or concerns with Lexus, having owned one or more continuously since 1995, and will be taking delivery of my 3rd RX next month.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
Old 02-09-12, 11:00 AM
joenew61
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same short list as you do. While I love the X5 ride, my research is leading me to the conclusion that the potential for recurring reliability issues is too much to ignore. From the JD Powers ratings, to the littany of Edmunds and other blog posts on frequent mysterious electrical "gremlins", to BMWNA's refusal to acknowledge them, I am just not sure the ride is worth the potential stress.

If I were a leaser - three years and out, I would consider the BMW, but as someone who is planning on buying my next car, I don't want to be in the position of owning an out of warranty vehicle from a company with that kind of track record.

Now I am not a leadfoot, or someone that looks for hairpin turns to zoom around, so the softer less fun ride of the RX makes it a decent second choice, not a letdown.

I just hope the press about Lexus quality not being what it once was is not as bad as the reality.
Old 02-09-12, 11:03 AM
joenew61
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GoHuskers
I was in the same boat couple months ago. Comparing between the MDX, X5, and GX460 (since I also own a 2010 RX350 so I don't want another one). Really like the GX but could not find the color combo nationwide (white with Sepia) and don't want to wait 3-4 months. Ruled out the MDX because of the BUTTONS and the quality feel. Really love the X5 for the looks and the drive but hesitate for the long-term quality. I then said why NOT 2 RXes, a 350 and a 450h.....I then comparing comparable options between the X5 and the RXh and the X5 would cost me about $65k or so while the RXh can be had for about $52k (MSRP of $57k). Finally I got a 450h with Black/Black and really happy with it for now.......

It's a GOOD time to buy a RX. Low interest rates of 1.9% for 60 mos, $1500 Conquest rebates if you own other luxury makes, $1000 for Graduate Cash rebate......and you can get it at INVOICE or below before these rebates....

Good luck.
Did you find that the pricing on the 450H was as aggressive as on the 350?
Old 02-10-12, 05:09 AM
BenF12400
Driver School Candidate

Question

Originally Posted by GoHuskers

Good luck.
I am a current 2008 rx350 owner and am in the market for a 2012 rx - where did you get info on the conquest rebate? Can't seem to find it online (fyi we have other "luxury makes" if that is a requirement). Did sales associate volunteer the rebate info or did you have to ask? Thanks
Old 02-10-12, 11:25 AM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

When I was shopping for my new cars, I used ConsumerReports.org for information. I also belong to truedelta.com (which is free). You can read individual repair histories and review reliability data on the BMW and Lexus on that site. I recommend it.

Direct quote from ConsumerReports.org on the BMW X5: Based on the latest survey, we expect reliability of new models will be 41% below AVERAGE.

There is NO way I would buy the X5 ... end of story. A luxury car that is a source of problems is the last thing that I would want to own. If this is your first luxury vehicle, let me warn you ... dealer repair quotes can be extremely - irrationally high. Plus, the X5's styling looks dated to me. If I was looking at a 10+ year ownership period, I would definitely try and pickup something with good gas mileage. Going forward there is a real chance that we will see some high gas prices (possibly in the $5.00 range here in the SF bay area by summer; prices are $3.90 now for regular). Most of my daily driving is in city driving and the prospect of getting 15 - 18 MPG in an RX 350 is irritating enough that I would rather be driving a Prius Plug-in (my brother picks his up next month).

Edit: I just was over at the government fuel economy site (fueleconomy.gov; recommended) reviewing a car for my daughter and noticed that the BMW X5 is rated at 16 in city (or 14 in city for larger engine). That is just plain NUTS in 2012.

Last edited by UCSB; 02-10-12 at 12:10 PM.
Old 02-10-12, 11:43 AM
j0emama
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by UCSB
When I was shopping for my new cars, I used ConsumerReports.org for information. I also belong to truedelta.com (which is free). You can read individual repair histories and review reliability data on the BMW and Lexus on that site. I recommend it.

Direct quote from ConsumerReports.org on the BMW X5: Based on the latest survey, we expect reliability of new models will be 41% below AVERAGE.

There is NO way I would buy the X5 ... end of story. A luxury car that is a source of problems is the last thing that I would want to own. If this is your first luxury vehicle, let me warn you ... dealer repair quotes can be extremely - irrationally high. Plus, the X5's styling looks dated to me. If I was looking at a 10+ year ownership period, I would definitely try and pickup something with good gas mileage. Going forward there is a real chance that we will see some high gas prices (possibly in the $5.00 range here in the SF bay area by summer; prices are $3.90 now for regular). Most of my daily driving is in city driving and the prospect of getting 15 - 18 MPG in an RX 350 is irritating enough that I would rather be driving a Prius Plug-in (my brother picks his up next month).
or just wait for the Tesla Model X and your set!
Old 02-10-12, 11:50 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

the X5 has been out for a while now and is probably due for a redesign in 1-2 years. That would be a high negative in my book

Quick Reply: Comparisons of 2012 RX350 to 2012 BMW X5