RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

How to show speed limit on NAV screen...

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-12, 11:09 AM
2011RX350
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question How to show speed limit on NAV screen...

My wife and I got used to seeing our speed next to the speed limit on our 5" Garmin GPS. When traveling elsewhere we find it very useful. With the Lexus NAV we love the big screen size and brightness and all the things you can do with it, but can not find a way to show the speed limit. Is there any way to do this with Lexus NAV?
Old 02-24-12, 11:36 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

No, but why would you want it there? The speedo is more in your line of sight than the NAV screen.
Originally Posted by 2011RX350
My wife and I got used to seeing our speed next to the speed limit on our 5" Garmin GPS. When traveling elsewhere we find it very useful. With the Lexus NAV we love the big screen size and brightness and all the things you can do with it, but can not find a way to show the speed limit. Is there any way to do this with Lexus NAV?
Old 02-24-12, 11:41 AM
07LexusGuy
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is useful to know what the limit is if you're on an unfamiliar road and not sure what speed is legal. Many aftermarket GPS units display that on their screens.

I've been looking for this feature as well, but unfortunately I've yet to see it on any Lexus Nav system.
Old 02-24-12, 04:24 PM
2011RX350
Pit Crew

It seems there are fewer seed limit signs as municipalities and traffic have grown and speed limts have come down. In some areas it is hard to keep up with all the changes on posted limits and the cops take advantage of that. Of course they get to make money that way by writing more speeding tickets. The funny thing is my Garmin Nuvi 2595 has the same female voice announcing the street names that the Lexus NAV uses... One would think Lexus would offer the speed limit display feature like the Garmin does.
Old 02-24-12, 06:25 PM
brwilli
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not so fast. I don't know about your state, but in Maryland, all money from all moving violations goes to the State, and the locals get nothing. There is a formula based on size of the local department that is supposed to return some money to the local jurisdiction, but given the fiscal difficulties faced by the State of Maryland, they have cut the amount returned to local governments. So, the more tickets you write, the higher your costs, but the lower the reimbursement. Not an incentive to write tickets. The incentive that is there is to make your roads safer.

The other part of the equation is that we now have speed cameras, which generate tickets for anyone going more than 12 mph over the limit.

It seems there are fewer seed limit signs as municipalities and traffic have grown and speed limts have come down. In some areas it is hard to keep up with all the changes on posted limits and the cops take advantage of that. Of course they get to make money that way by writing more speeding tickets. The funny thing is my Garmin Nuvi 2595 has the same female voice announcing the street names that the Lexus NAV uses... One would think Lexus would offer the speed limit display feature like the Garmin does.
brwilli
Old 02-25-12, 04:38 AM
rxsuperman
Driver

The portable GPS' like Garmin, TomTom,...etc will generally push out more advanced features than Lexus GPS. The advantage of the Lexus nav is the integrated user interface. The top of the RX dash and windshield is beautiful without anything attached like a portable GPS.
Old 02-25-12, 08:23 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I agree it would be nice to have that info. We crossed a state border last night and missed the speed limit sign. However, where do you put it on that crowed screen? For me, that little three-car traffic icon could be replaced with speed limit.
Old 02-25-12, 09:33 AM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 218 Likes on 152 Posts

The OEM Nav doesn't have that information to display.
Old 02-25-12, 01:32 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

As already said, the Nav system display is for everything, radio, nav, climate settings, car settings, phone, etc., and IMO, does a wonderful job of integrating 'everything'. The 'clip on the w/s' models are dedicated to just one thing plus maybe a Bluetooth feature for phone calls. As they're basically a dedicated device, they'll have more gadgets dedicated to that feature (altitude, speed, etc.).
Originally Posted by panyo64
The OEM Nav doesn't have that information to display.
Old 02-26-12, 09:54 AM
sleepysurf
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's why I'm really glad I skipped the Lexus NAV option, and just use a Garmin on my dash... lifetime map updates (upgrades typical every 3-4 months) and also displays speed limits. Plus, when a new and improved GPS comes out, I can easily upgrade.
Old 02-26-12, 02:43 PM
m1964
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sleepysurf
That's why I'm really glad I skipped the Lexus NAV option, and just use a Garmin on my dash... lifetime map updates (upgrades typical every 3-4 months) and also displays speed limits. Plus, when a new and improved GPS comes out, I can easily upgrade.
I disagree- I have experience with:

1. using dash-mounted Garmin GPS
2. using Magellan 7" GPS installed into a factory location of my LR2 (but not integrated into the sound system)
3. My new RX's factory NAV.

The #2 was easier to use then #1 because at least it was permanetly mounted into a factory location (Land Rover leaves a cavity in the dash of LR2 if you do not buy factory NAV),

Both Magellan and Garmin were slightly late with directions (Garmin was better then Magellan), because they do not get info from the speedo/steering wheel/etc.

Both had very limited volume adjustment,w/ tinny sound- If you are listening to music you have hard time following GPS's direction. RX's NAV speaks in a very nice tone/voice, can be adjusted for highway driving/kids talking in the back/etc.

Both Garmin and Magellan took "forever" to fing a POI -I'd have to pull over first, then wait till they find POI-RX's NAV found the store in a second or two.

I now regret I did not buy NAV for my wife's Q5.
Old 02-26-12, 06:53 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 218 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by sleepysurf

I have never found a nonintegrated GPS unit that has been loud enough for me to hear in the summer on the highway with the windows down. The OEM navigation is large, bright, and plays through all speakers loud enough for me to hear driving at 80mph down the highway with all the windows open and the music on.
Old 02-27-12, 09:59 AM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

I like the OEM navigation when you use it with the HUD
Old 02-27-12, 06:23 PM
Jerome
Driver School Candidate

Maybe the technogist in me that says Lexus NAV is definitely lacking in features and basically technology like map cartography. I apologize to those who has not experienced what a well executed NAV systems look like, e.g. Infiniti NAV or BMW new NAV system. But it looks like the 2013 GS NAV is going in the right direction.

Don't confuse the new Garmins, they are superior to any Lexus system with their new chipset; I agree the previous Garmin with its older chipset is slow and cumbersome.
Old 02-27-12, 08:06 PM
2011RX350
Pit Crew

I like the Lexus NAV much better than my new Garmin too. The screen size and brightness and the audio are vastly better. I would still rather have the Lexus NAV. But we do miss knowing what the speed limit is while traveling in strange territory.

Quick Reply: How to show speed limit on NAV screen...