RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Multiple Questions on 2010 RX 350- BI-HID, TOWING PKG, AWD (yes or no), PREMIUM GAS?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-12, 12:39 AM
aznchick15
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Multiple Questions on 2010 RX 350- BI-HID, TOWING PKG, AWD (yes or no), PREMIUM GAS?

Hi All at CL...

I am looking to purchase a used 2010 Lexus RX 350 AWD... There are so many listings and descriptions out there. Many that seem to be incomplete and dealers, even Lexus CPO ones seem to be incompetent on answering questions.

Question 1 - Can you get Bi-HID headlamps without adaptive front lighting system OR if you have one you FOR SURE have the other - I have seen descriptions with BI_HID by itself and even adaptive by itself... i am not a car person unless i see the lights at night (which i won't) so how can I look for it or know if the car has it?

Question 1 part B - the standard option is halogen projectors - has anyone did a conversion to just HID (forget the adaptive) and how much does it cost?

Question 1 part C - Has anyone just went back to Lexus paid the $800 something and they can install that option for you?

Question 2- one car i was looking at has towing package- not really a need of mine... does that mean i will need to replace the heavy duty alternator and radiator when it come to that time for repair/replacement?

Question 3 - I live in San Francisco and the worst weather is heavy rain, will AWD make driving safer? I am about to have a child so that is really important to me... So i don't mind paying the cost, but is it stupid?

Question 4 - has anyone done chrome wheels exchange and if so what was your experience and do you have any recommendations on a reputable?

Thank you for your time and for ANY answers you can give!!!

Look forward to any responses... THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Last edited by aznchick15; 03-20-12 at 01:05 AM.
Old 03-20-12, 04:57 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Laurie
Welcome to the forum, lots of good info here.
1st if you get the HID headlamps (a good choice) you'll also have the adaptive system.
If you try to convert from halogen there is quite a bit to mess with re: ballast and so forth.

It will cost far more to have the dealer install them then if they came initially on the car.

If you want the towing package, it will HAVE to be the AWD. That's the only way it's built in the Hybrid model.

Chrome wheels would just be a personal choice. You could have the factory wheels (which are already highly polished) chromed I guess but I wouldn't recommend it.

Again, welcome.
Originally Posted by aznchick15
Hi All at CL...

I am looking to purchase a used 2010 Lexus RX 350 AWD... There are so many listings and descriptions out there. Many that seem to be incomplete and dealers, even Lexus CPO ones seem to be incompetent on answering questions.

Question 1 - Can you get Bi-HID headlamps without adaptive front lighting system OR if you have one you FOR SURE have the other - I have seen descriptions with BI_HID by itself and even adaptive by itself... i am not a car person unless i see the lights at night (which i won't) so how can I look for it or know if the car has it?

Question 1 part B - the standard option is halogen projectors - has anyone did a conversion to just HID (forget the adaptive) and how much does it cost?

Question 1 part C - Has anyone just went back to Lexus paid the $800 something and they can install that option for you?

Question 2- one car i was looking at has towing package- not really a need of mine... does that mean i will need to replace the heavy duty alternator and radiator when it come to that time for repair/replacement?

Question 3 - I live in San Francisco and the worst weather is heavy rain, will AWD make driving safer? I am about to have a child so that is really important to me... So i don't mind paying the cost, but is it stupid?

Question 4 - has anyone done chrome wheels exchange and if so what was your experience and do you have any recommendations on a reputable?

Old 03-20-12, 06:08 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 114 Posts

Hi All at CL...

If the projector are seated inner side of the light assembly (close to the grill) then you have Factory Bi-HID. Your High beam and low beam are in ONE unit. It will have Adaptive.

If the projectors are seated outer side of the light assembly (further from the grill) then you have factory halogen. You can install aftermarket HID kit very easy and costs no more than $200. You will NOT have adaptive.

You sure can if you want a peace of mind and have the cash. Their hourly price varies from $120-$150

It is just an extra bonus. You don't have to replace these for long long time. My college-age sister is driving a 2001 RX300 with 160k miles and everything is original (knock on woods...hard knocks though)

I would get an AWD just for a peace of mind since you might just use it for 5% of the time and it costs more to buy and more at the pump but PEACE is priceless

I have never done this so I can't tell you either way.

You are very welcome and good luck.
Old 03-20-12, 06:32 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 172 Likes on 146 Posts

Jim hit the main points on the head. It's better to get the headlights you want than to switch with something else later. That goes for every option you're looking for. Changing or adding them later is not always possible and/or can be cost prohibitive.

You're better off finding a reputable installer or body shop to do installs rather than the dealership, especially if it's something aftermarket. Other things like changing bulbs you can do yourself. It just depends on what you're talking about. We have a few vendors here that give us nice discounts on Lexus and aftermarket parts and accessories.

AWD is not just for snow. It helps in the rain too especially when starting from a stop. The compromise will be a little ding on the mileage. Personally I wouldn't get an RX without it. No offense Jim Tires are important too. Make sure the RX you're looking at has the Michelins.

Rims can be changed easily. Chrome is fine since you don't have to worry about snow and salt. The dealer or any reputable tire place can do it for you. Not cheap though.

Feel free to run the details on the RX you're looking to purchase by us
Old 03-20-12, 10:49 AM
aznchick15
Driver School Candidate

THANK YOU SO MUCH... Already LOVE this forum!!!!
Old 03-20-12, 09:14 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 222 Likes on 154 Posts

Hi All at CL...

Firstly, you've got your terms confused. Bi-xenon means that the headlamp works as both the low beam and the high beam. HIDs stand for High Intensity Discharge, which is another term for Xenon headlights. Although HID and Xenon are used interchangeably, HID is not a replacement for Xenon in "Bi-Xenon."

Anyhow, with the HID headlights, you will get AFS standard. However, you can turn it off. That way the headlights will only level themselves at startup, but not steer around corners. I personally like the AFS, but I drive on poorly lit windy roads at night.

This is how you tell the difference between the two housings.

Halogen has the projector (dome shaped lens) on the outside of the headlight.

HID has the projector on the inside of the headlight.

Plenty of people have done it. Parts should cost around 50-100 dollars, depending on the quality of the HIDs you buy, and labor shouldn't be more than 2 hours. Make sure you get someone reputable to do it, or else you'll end up with ballasts that are taped or zip tied haphazardly to things under the hood. Fellow forum members may help you install for free. And by free, I mean beer.

Many dealerships don't want to deal with the liability of installing aftermarket parts. Some do. You'll have to shop around. However, even with 3 hours labor, tax, and the cost of the kit, you shouldn't be more than $500.00

Yes. However, those are not generally wear items in the first 150k miles. I doubt you plan on keeping the car that long.

AWD is only really useful in low traction situations like snow, and even then, only for acceleration. You do have steep hills in SF, so it couldn't hurt, but I don't think it's a necessity if you are just gentle with the throttle. The truck comes with Hill Hold Assist, so you don't have to mash the gas on a hill once you activate it to keep from rolling back into the car behind you.

I have not done a chrome wheel exchange. However, if you must have chrome wheels, or any aftermarket wheel, I'd keep your factory wheels for when it comes time to sell the truck. I don't know about anyone else, but I generally skip over cars with aftermarket wheels that I don't like, and tastes are very subjective.

Answers in red. I currently own a '10 RX350 AWD Lux. Pkg.
Old 03-21-12, 02:34 AM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I can comment on the AWD vs FWD question. First off, I live in Pleasanton here in the SF bay area. I have a 450h FWD. I have a good friend that the bought the same exact car (identical options, same color combo) except his is the AWD version. Actually, he purchased his first on my recommendation. I liked his and just picked up the same car except for FWD. I have never had ANY need for AWD here in N. CA. My friend and I were discussing this issue over lunch after he had his 10,000 mile service completed. His take on it was that the AWD system was just a couple hundred extra pounds that he was carrying around and it was of little value in Bay Area driving. He was averaging 27.9 MPG and I average close to 32 MPG. But, he does more freeway driving than I do. I don't think AWD vs FWD is that big of an issue. The difference in gas is probably only $1,000 over five years and the initial cost is only something like $1,700 more. So you are only about $2,700 ahead after five years (you might double check these rough estimates). I went with FWD because I am an environmentalist and like to get as much efficiency as I can out of my car. It doesn't hurt if I am saving money also. The FWD version operates perfectly in the 450h with the CVT. I have never used it, but the car does have a snow mode that you can select if you need it. But, if you are at Tahoe, you will need to use chains if you do not have AWD. I don't know about the FWD 350 though.

I do feel that the AWD version may have better/easier resale later, but I don't know if this is true.

I do have two cars and my second car is a Subaru Outback with a full time symmetric AWD. I use that car for fun adventures, like trips to Tahoe in the winter and other applications where it excels. Basically, anything that is to hazardous for my 450h. Being retired, fun adventures are my focus and I have ended up putting about twice as many miles on the Outback as the RX. But, the RX is my favorite between the two. Good thing since it cost about twice as much. One interesting fact, I can get 33 MPG in the Outback on the freeway, which is better than I typically can do (or at least about what I can do) in my RX hybrid. Pretty impressive.

Last edited by UCSB; 03-21-12 at 02:57 AM.
Old 03-21-12, 09:25 PM
aznchick15
Driver School Candidate

UCSB and PANYO64... thank you for your responses - PANYO love the photo OH SO HELPFUL!!! USCB did you buy from Pleasanton Lexus? They seem to be higher than some dealerships? Just wanted to see what your experience was with them or the dealership you dealt with. THANKS!!!
Old 03-22-12, 05:39 AM
herao
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bay Area Purchases

UCSB and PANYO64... did you buy from Pleasanton Lexus? They seem to be higher than some dealerships? Just wanted to see what your experience was with them or the dealership you dealt with. THANKS!!!
I've purchased Lexus vehicles from Coliseum (Oakland) and Concord and was impressed by the competitive Internet pricing and overall sales experience.

Bob
Old 03-22-12, 12:55 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

UCSB and PANYO64... thank you for your responses - PANYO love the photo OH SO HELPFUL!!! USCB did you buy from Pleasanton Lexus? They seem to be higher than some dealerships? Just wanted to see what your experience was with them or the dealership you dealt with. THANKS!!!
When I purchased my 450h, I was actually shopping for three cars at the time. I was not in any hurry and went to a number of dealerships to look at cars. I purchased my 450h from Pleasanton Lexus for two reasons. First, they had two copies of the vehicle I was interested in sitting in their overflow lot. This meant that I was getting the car I wanted with no miles and time on the sales lot. Second, they matched a price I had gotten from Magnussen's Lexus of Fremont. In hindsight, I would recommend that you contact Mostafa Khweled at Magnussen's. He was a no BS, straight shooter that turned up the best prices on several cars. His business card says he is the Fleet Manager. He seemed to have a real grasp of what was possible and what was not in a deal. He was always cordial and professional when I was negotiating steep discounts. He did not take the process personally. It was possible to get a good deal at Pleasanton (because I did), but I have my doubts about the deal I would have received had I not already had an alternative deal when I was negotiating.

Pleasanton seemed to a have a large number of used & new RX's when I was over there a week ago. This is usually a good sign if you are looking for a deal. Their inventory is online. I did not check their overflow lot which is about one block west of the dealership on the first side street. If you want the HID headlights (they are nice), then make sure you buy a car with them.

I purchased my 450h in September 2010, it had a sticker of $51,957. I paid $45,500. So I got just under $6,500 off of MSRP. Times were pretty desperate for auto sales at the time, all makes were highly discounting (especially luxury cars). A similarly equipped 2012 would have an MSRP of about $54,520.

Good luck with your purchase.

Last edited by UCSB; 03-22-12 at 01:33 PM.