RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Service Cost Presented to Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-12, 03:33 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by billy44bo
The local Lexus dealer is the only one around for over 150 miles. The think that what ever price they put out people will pay. I do like the Rx450h a lot but I do hnot have to have a free car on service days or a free coke.
Let us see the 15k service at the Local Lexus dealer was going to be $350 and at a Toyota dealer it was $25 good enough for me. Bottom line take your car wereever you want to have it serviced. They both have there cons and pros.
This just seems like to large a difference to me. Something must have fallen in the cracks. I don't have the 15k service in front of me, but doesn't it include items like the air filter, cabin filter and other items that alone must cost more than $25 in parts.

EDIT: Actually, I just looked up the 15k service and it was just a bunch of check items, rotate tires, clean items. Nothing was replaced except the battery in the key ... big deal ... I can do that myself. So $25 for the work seems possible. But, still seems low. You must be living is location that has a substantially lower cost of living than the San Francisco area. The major service starts at 30k, 60k, etc. They contain real work and real parts. I think your original quote of $350 is way off and may have been in error.

Last edited by UCSB; 03-25-12 at 03:46 PM.
Old 03-25-12, 07:16 PM
gladiator9
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lexus service vs Toyota service

I also compared the service pricing at both dealers and the 30k service at Lexus was in the $400.00 range whereas the Toyota dealer did a complete inspection, plus oil and filter change, and a tire rotation for $89.00. I did my own air filter and cabin air filter, and have purchased batteries for the key fobs when required. The Toyota showroom isn't as fancy bit I can forego
the free cookies and doughnuts for $300.00.
Oh Yes, I promised to report on the new Yokahama YK 580 tires I had installed at Discount Tire in Mesa in December. The tires are available for the Lexus 19" rims and have been great so far. Very little road noise, great in the rain, and ok in light snow. If you are driving in the winter and encounter deep snow or ice, then I would recommend a proper winter tire. I intended to put on the Yokahama parada spec x, but the dealer did not have any in stock at the time. This particular tire has a 60 k mile rating.
Cheers,
Jim
Old 03-25-12, 07:42 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

If you don't mind, what is the tread wear rating on the sidewall ???
Originally Posted by gladiator9
I also compared the service pricing at both dealers and the 30k service at Lexus was in the $400.00 range whereas the Toyota dealer did a complete inspection, plus oil and filter change, and a tire rotation for $89.00. I did my own air filter and cabin air filter, and have purchased batteries for the key fobs when required. The Toyota showroom isn't as fancy bit I can forego
the free cookies and doughnuts for $300.00.
Oh Yes, I promised to report on the new Yokahama YK 580 tires I had installed at Discount Tire in Mesa in December. The tires are available for the Lexus 19" rims and have been great so far. Very little road noise, great in the rain, and ok in light snow. If you are driving in the winter and encounter deep snow or ice, then I would recommend a proper winter tire. I intended to put on the Yokahama parada spec x, but the dealer did not have any in stock at the time. This particular tire has a 60 k mile rating.
Cheers,
Jim
Old 03-27-12, 07:12 PM
gladiator9
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cruiter
If you don't mind, what is the tread wear rating on the sidewall ???
Treadwear on the yokahama YK 580 is..... well...580 also.
Seems to be a good tire. I am pleased so far.
Jim
Old 04-01-12, 01:25 PM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, here's a different perspective on the Toyota vs. Lexus service.

I live in the SF Bay Area. I had just done the 45K service at Lexus, so took the car to Toyota for the 50K interval, thinking I'd save some money.

It took an extra 15 minutes in traffic to get there, I didn't get a loaner (had to wait for the "bus", so there went another 30 minutes), had to cajole a work buddy to get me back at the end of the day to pick up my car...and they charged $175 for an oil change (I declined tire rotation since I get it from Big O for free).

Let's see...no loaner, takes longer, costs the same...next time, it's back to the Lexus dealer.

The kicker? As I was pulling out of their lot, it occurred to me that I hadn't done my usual "walk around" of the car. So I parked, and did so. Only to find a vertical scrape on my hatch and rear quarter panel that looked like something had fallen on my car and damaged it. I went back in to the desk, and told the service writer that my car had damage on it that hadn't been there when I dropped it off. THEY DIDN'T EVEN ASK WHAT I MEANT! So it's clear they KNEW about it, but wanted to see if I'd drive off without noticing it. GRRRRRR.

So I agreed to take the car back for "buffing" - made it better, but didn't fix it.

Took it back again for body work and a re-paint of the two affected panels - they did it for "free," so no insurance deductible, but I did pay for 1.5 days of car rental.

So, to total it all up - three service visits, several hours missed from work, one rental car fee, and a lot of inconvenience, because I tried to save some $$$ on service costs.

Sandi
Old 04-01-12, 01:44 PM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Not helpful. I work.

Sandi

Last edited by Cruiter; 04-01-12 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Inappropriate comment from previous poster
Old 04-01-12, 02:53 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks, having just replaced the Michelin's with more of the same, I'll see what kind of service they give you as well as the tires Anita bought. Both of them (by the specs) seem like some I should at least consider next time.
Originally Posted by gladiator9
Treadwear on the yokahama YK 580 is..... well...580 also.
Seems to be a good tire. I am pleased so far.
Jim
Old 04-01-12, 06:37 PM
MC5Wes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Service

I believe you get what you pay for. You can go to Lexus and get the free loaner, WIFI, Lattes, Leather couches and a big screen TV.

Or you can go to Toyota and save 40 percent. But you get a small office style chair. And have to buy a Pepsi out of the machine.

Or better yet. Go to Walmart and save another 20 percent. And go shopping while you wait.