RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Service Cost Presented to Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-12, 10:50 AM
GRPFAN
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Service Cost Presented to Lexus

So much has been written about the savings using Toyota service for our RX350.

Has anyone gotten a service quote from Toyota, and presented it to Lexus and explain to them your interest in saving money in hopes of them lowing their prices?

Just a Thought.

Would be interesting to hear Lexus reaction/answer.
Old 03-22-12, 05:32 PM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Dealers don't care

Originally Posted by GRPFAN
So much has been written about the savings using Toyota service for our RX350.

Has anyone gotten a service quote from Toyota, and presented it to Lexus and explain to them your interest in saving money in hopes of them lowing their prices?

Just a Thought.

Would be interesting to hear Lexus reaction/answer.
I asked my Cadillac dealer why he could charge $180 JUST for turning my front drums; he said he has VERY well trained mechanics and a lot of overhead!! I took it to an independanct that replaced front brakes with Ceramics and turned rotors for less than $180!!
Old 03-22-12, 10:32 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've been driving Lexus since 1995. It is my opinion that you will get nowhere trying to bring other quotes into a Lexus dealership. But, I do think that dealerships often have specials/promos that you can use to lower your costs. My dealership has an email mailing list with offers that are pretty attractive. They had some nice deals. One approach that I am considering, is telling them that I am retired and can bring my car down with 10 minutes notice if they need to fill up their service schedule on a slow day for a promo type of price.
Old 03-23-12, 06:43 PM
cafpaf
Pole Position

We have two Lexus dealers here in Pittsburgh. Both owned by the same family. There are NEVER any service specials, discounts, etc. We love the car and the sales staff, but the prices for service are absolutely not competitive. "After all sir, you are driving a Lexus."
Old 03-23-12, 06:48 PM
happyowner
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Not All Hamburgers Are the Same; Neither is Auto Service

It seems to me that would be like going to a nice restaurant and bringing an ad in for a McDonalds' hamburger and asking to get their hamburger at the same price. Though it may seem to be the same thing, I think the service and product you get at a Lexus dealer is superior to what you get at a Toyota dealer.
Old 03-23-12, 08:28 PM
dnkyle
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by happyowner
It seems to me that would be like going to a nice restaurant and bringing an ad in for a McDonalds' hamburger and asking to get their hamburger at the same price. Though it may seem to be the same thing, I think the service and product you get at a Lexus dealer is superior to what you get at a Toyota dealer.
Agree and only once a year.
Old 03-24-12, 04:14 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by happyowner
I am hoping that service cost on these new cars are going to be lower than some of my past Lexus cars. But, I have been quoted as high as $1,400 - $1,600 for routine maintenance on prior cars for major service intervals. At that kind of level, the McDonalds vs nice restaurant analogy starts to break down. The comparison makes total sense when looking at at $100 Toyota service vs $160 at Lexus. I've been ripped off by Lexus dealers in the past, unfortunately. My daughter and I were on a trip in AZ and a rodent chewed through a key electrical wire (we did not know this when the car was being serviced). Local AZ rip off Lexus dealer stuck me for $1,100 to tape the wires back together because they could see we were on a trip and stuck with a car that was not working correctly. After I finally got home, wrote them and complained and they refunded a small portion of my bill ... still high for what they did. Definitely did not feel like high level service when it was occurring.

Last edited by UCSB; 03-24-12 at 04:27 PM.
Old 03-24-12, 04:24 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dnkyle
Agree and only once a year.
I agree that costs of $160 (10k at my dealer) are not big deal. When service costs get above $500 and especially above $1,000 it really starts making less sense to me. I have not investigated the potential cost of future service. These 10k type of service costs are reasonable, but I just wonder what waits in the future.
Old 03-24-12, 05:26 PM
GRPFAN
Pole Position

I personally like picking, choosing, and trusting one Lexus mechanic that we could relate to each other by our first names.

Trouble is the days are long gone to speak to a mechanic directly any more, all
repairs are discussed through a fancy dressed service writer.
Old 03-24-12, 05:30 PM
GRPFAN
Pole Position

I'm tempted to visit various Toyota dealerships and ask them to give me 10 good reasons why I should trust my 2012 RX 350 with this place.

What kind of reaction do you think I'd get.................
Old 03-25-12, 06:49 AM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

The local Lexus dealer is the only one around for over 150 miles. The think that what ever price they put out people will pay. I do like the Rx450h a lot but I do hnot have to have a free car on service days or a free coke.
Let us see the 15k service at the Local Lexus dealer was going to be $350 and at a Toyota dealer it was $25 good enough for me. Bottom line take your car wereever you want to have it serviced. They both have there cons and pros.
Old 03-25-12, 08:40 AM
JimH2
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by billy44bo
The local Lexus dealer is the only one around for over 150 miles. The think that what ever price they put out people will pay. I do like the Rx450h a lot but I do hnot have to have a free car on service days or a free coke.
Let us see the 15k service at the Local Lexus dealer was going to be $350 and at a Toyota dealer it was $25 good enough for me. Bottom line take your car wereever you want to have it serviced. They both have there cons and pros.
I agree. Each to their own as far as what they desire for service level and to whom does it. One never knows also what the comparable costs are unless they ask. At 300 miles, I opted to replace the OEM Bridgestones with OEM Michelins that I obtained from Tire Rack. I called 3 places to get estimates in taking the old set of tires off, and installing/balancing the new set of tires. The local tire shop wanted $ 180 (they insisted on replacing the TPMS kits), Toyota wanted $ 80, and Lexus wanted $ 70. I took it to Lexus for the work.
Old 03-25-12, 10:59 AM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

How do you like the Michelins over the Bridgestones? Just replaced my daughters Bridgestones with Yokohama's on her Camry.
Old 03-25-12, 01:18 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 172 Likes on 146 Posts

GRPFN, I hope you take advantage of your two free services from Lexus before searching for a Toyota dealer. You can ask both of them to give you a breakdown of service costs or check their websites. For reference, the 15K services (15K, 30K, 45K, etc) are considered major and will cost the most. The rest are minor and will be less. From there you can make an educated decision.

I've basically had the same SA since I purchased my first RX back in 1998. She always has my best interest at heart, only letting me do what's absolutely necessary and giving me discounts. I'm also familiar with the service manager. He goes above and beyond. I MO that's much more valuable than saving a few bucks.
Old 03-25-12, 02:12 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by billy44bo
How do you like the Michelins over the Bridgestones? Just replaced my daughters Bridgestones with Yokohama's on her Camry.
How are the Yokohamas? I'm considering this brand even though I love Michelin.

Quick Reply: Service Cost Presented to Lexus