RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

skinny vs fat fuel graph

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-12, 06:35 AM
bam
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default skinny vs fat fuel graph

I can't quite seem to figure this out so I'm hoping someone has an answer and the manual doesn't explain it well enough for me to understand the difference.

So I understand the skinny graph shows a current graph in 1 minute intervals of fuel economy to include regenerative power to the battery as well. Also, when I scroll through the display options from the steering wheel button, it shows that we're getting 29.3 mpg since refueling and 29.6 average mpg.

What I don't understand is the fat fuel graph. So we reset all the numbers when we picked up the car on 3/25 and the fat fuel graph shows the date of 3/25 across the bottom. As I understand it, each bar on the fat fuel graph represents a day but the days on the bottom aren't changing. In other words, it's showing 3/25 across the bottom instead of 3/26, 3/27, 3/28, 3/29, and 3/30. It would appear that if I want it to show different days, I basically have to reset it each day. Am I right in this assumption or am I missing something?

Also, on the fat fuel graph, it's showing the best mpg is 26.9 but when I scroll through the different displays from the steering wheel, (as I mentioned above) it's showing 29.3 mpg since refueling and 29.6 avergae mpg.

What does the 26.9 best fuel economy actually refer to because if the mpg since refueling is showing 29.3 and the average mpg is 29.6, shouldn't it show the best fuel mpg as 29.6? The manual doesn't go into any explanation on this so I'm hoping someone can help me clarify the differences between each of those numbers but specifically the best mpg.

Thanks.
Old 03-30-12, 07:32 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Richard
1st of all, trying to set and understand the graph on a daily basis isn't going to give you real (actual) information. It can hold I think about 8 bars max. Mine is currently spread out over about 18 months and showing slightly over 30mpg for that period of time. That becomes more real than what you got on a daily basis where a lot of factors change from day to day.

To add a bar use the steering wheel thumb switch to scroll to the total average mileage. Then just push it in until it resets to 0. When you look at the bar screen after that you should have added another bar. But it's counter productive to do it on a daily basis. Go at least a month and then add another bar. You'll get a more true readout.

Good luck
Originally Posted by bam
I can't quite seem to figure this out so I'm hoping someone has an answer and the manual doesn't explain it well enough for me to understand the difference.

So I understand the skinny graph shows a current graph in 1 minute intervals of fuel economy to include regenerative power to the battery as well. Also, when I scroll through the display options from the steering wheel button, it shows that we're getting 29.3 mpg since refueling and 29.6 average mpg.

What I don't understand is the fat fuel graph. So we reset all the numbers when we picked up the car on 3/25 and the fat fuel graph shows the date of 3/25 across the bottom. As I understand it, each bar on the fat fuel graph represents a day but the days on the bottom aren't changing. In other words, it's showing 3/25 across the bottom instead of 3/26, 3/27, 3/28, 3/29, and 3/30. It would appear that if I want it to show different days, I basically have to reset it each day. Am I right in this assumption or am I missing something?

Also, on the fat fuel graph, it's showing the best mpg is 26.9 but when I scroll through the different displays from the steering wheel, (as I mentioned above) it's showing 29.3 mpg since refueling and 29.6 avergae mpg.

What does the 26.9 best fuel economy actually refer to because if the mpg since refueling is showing 29.3 and the average mpg is 29.6, shouldn't it show the best fuel mpg as 29.6? The manual doesn't go into any explanation on this so I'm hoping someone can help me clarify the differences between each of those numbers but specifically the best mpg.

Thanks.
Old 03-31-12, 07:18 AM
joenew61
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Related question on the skinny 1 minute bars. Does anyone know if that is a snapshot of the MPG at the time when the bar is created, or is it the average over the previous minute. Given the large number of "60" bars I get, it seems it is the former.
Old 04-03-12, 02:51 PM
bam
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

So the fat fuel graph continues to confuse me as it's been showing the same bar graphs since we picked it up with only 3/25 as the date. So we clicked the "clear" button yesterday thinking it would reset and start a new graph but instead it kept the very last one the graphs from 3/25 and a message flashed up that said if we want to reset the fuel economy or something to that effect, we also have to reset the average mpg from the steering wheel.

I'm thinking I'm not going to mess with the fat fuel graph because I have no idea what the purpose of if it when I see the average mpg and mpg after refueling from the small display window and the skinny fuel graph shows an average mpg over 1 minute intervals.

I thought maybe the skinny graph would show your average mpg over a 1 minute interval while the fat fuel graph would show a daily average so like if you averaged 20 mpg on one day and then 30 mpg on a second day, you'd see 2 graphs showing 20 and 30 seperately with 30 mpg showing the best mpg in the lower right hand corner. To take this a step further, then I would also expect the small display to show the average mpg as 25 mpg.

Last edited by bam; 04-03-12 at 02:54 PM.
Old 04-03-12, 05:56 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Bam,

I'm not sure I've ever read whether the bars in the "skinny" graph represent a peak or an average, but within a minute I'm not sure it's much of a difference. Guessing, I would say it is an average of a previous minute. Instantaneous information would be shown in the MID, multi-informational display.

In my opinion, the "fat" graph can be whatever you want it to be. If you never reset it for the life of the car, you get a "lifetime" average(s) and peak. If you reset the graph at the beginning of a trip and then end of a trip, you get a "trip" average(s) and peak. If you do as I do and reset it with each tank of gas, you get a "tankful" average(s) and peak. If you reset it every morning, you will get "daily" average(s) and peak. Or weekly, or monthly or yearly, whatever interval you decide.

I believe, folks correct me if I'm wrong, the longer you go between resets the more accurate the information.

If you refer to the manual, there are three separate resets, well two resets and a clear.
Old 04-03-12, 06:15 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Your average over time is read in the fat bars. And that is reset from the steering wheel. The best advice is to do it in your driveway with the manual in your hands.
Old 04-05-12, 12:04 PM
joenew61
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I want to see the tankful MPG, I just reset the trip odometer with each fillup, so the MPG since refuel will show me that.

When I want to see an intermediate term trend, I just reset the average (go to average screen and push the toggle button down). Each time you do that, the MPG since the last reset becomes the last "fat bar", and the MPG after the reset becomes the current fat bar.

I still find it hard to believe that the minute increments are an average, because I get so many 60 mpg bars - hard to believe that would sustain for 60 seconds at 60 MPG or above.