RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Driving back with a back door opened

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-12, 07:43 AM
brik
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Driving back with a back door opened

I've damaged my RX350 2010 back door while trying to re-park the car in my garage. The problem was - the back door was wide opened. I wonder why there was no warning sound? This is bad!
Old 03-30-12, 08:28 AM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to hear and interesting... You mean:

- no warning on dash?

- interior lights weren't on w/ back door up? Make sure all switches are set to door.

- you couldn't hear more noise b/c back gate was open?

- you didn't see back door open by turning your head around or looking in rear-view mirror or camera display?

You should consider yourself very lucky no one was standing behind RX before you moved it b/c surely you wouldn't have seen them and they would've been hurt.

Anyhow, sounds like a typical short between steering wheel and drivers seat might have been the cause. Lexus, despite their engineering prowess, hasn't been able to find a fix yet.

Good luck
Old 03-30-12, 09:26 AM
brik
Driver School Candidate

The thing is - I was not really driving, I was going to do a simple 3 step back and forward maneuver. The car was already parked inside the garage. I just came from a long trip, entered the garage, shlepped a bunch of things from the car inside the house. Came back and decided to make more room between the two cars (it is a 2 car garage, and my other car was there before). Of-course, with the back door wide opened, it hit the garage door rim on top. Need to replace the whole door now. There has to be a warning sound! Lexus, are you kidding?!!?
Old 03-30-12, 09:34 AM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts

Situational awareness? At what point does responsibility return to the driver?

I second Burg's assertion. Problem lies between the seat and the wheel.
Old 03-30-12, 10:05 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

That's why they are called accidents. Things happen....
Old 03-30-12, 11:03 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Boris
Welcome to the forum 1st and sorry to hear of your accident. So don't take this the wrong way, but there have to be thousands of ways we can hurt ourselves or damage property without the car being at fault. Based on your own description of what happened it sounds as if you're gonna have to have a really good story for your insurance company. I can't see any fault to the manufacturer no matter who it is for something like this. Just chalk it up as a really big oops .

I bet you only do it once in your life. There are some things I know I've only done once and will not repeat. And I'm not saying what they were either, amnesia has set in .
Originally Posted by brik
The thing is - I was not really driving, I was going to do a simple 3 step back and forward maneuver. The car was already parked inside the garage. I just came from a long trip, entered the garage, shlepped a bunch of things from the car inside the house. Came back and decided to make more room between the two cars (it is a 2 car garage, and my other car was there before). Of-course, with the back door wide opened, it hit the garage door rim on top. Need to replace the whole door now. There has to be a warning sound! Lexus, are you kidding?!!?

Last edited by Cruiter; 03-30-12 at 11:16 AM.
Old 03-30-12, 11:18 AM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome.

Just an freak accident; you were probably fatigued from your trip. While it is helpful from a stress point of view to hope that Lexus could have anticipated the problem, some things just boil down to personal responsibility. But, I do believe you have found one disappointing shortcoming in the RX. I am disappointed that you can not adjust the rear door's max height when open. This would avoid a lot of garage door clearance problems. I have to manually open the door in my garage and put a doubled up towel on top of it to protect it given the lack of clearance; one day I may adjust my garage door. A loud sound when backing up with the door open would be another possible addition to the car, but I doubt it would have helped in your situation. I don't do it very often but I thought there was some warning if you try to move the vehicle with one of the doors open or ajar.

Perhaps write an email to Lexus and suggest height adjustment on the door and share your experience.

Last edited by UCSB; 03-30-12 at 11:34 AM.
Old 03-30-12, 11:44 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

If the deck isn't shut and latched, there is a light on the dash when you remove the selector from park. I don't remember what it say's but it's a very evident warning. I've seen it
Originally Posted by UCSB
Welcome.

Just an freak accident; you were probably fatigued from your trip. While it is helpful from a stress point of view to hope that Lexus could have anticipated the problem, some things just boil down to personal responsibility. But, I do believe you have found one disappointing shortcoming in the RX. I am disappointed that you can not adjust the rear door's max height when open. This would avoid a lot of garage door clearance problems. I have to manually open the door in my garage and put a doubled up towel on top of it to protect it given the lack of clearance; one day I may adjust my garage door. A loud sound when backing up with the door open would be another possible addition to the car, but I doubt it would have helped in your situation. I don't do it very often but I thought there was some warning if you try to move the vehicle with one of the doors open or ajar.

Perhaps write an email to Lexus and suggest height adjustment on the door and share your experience.
Old 03-30-12, 12:32 PM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry about the hard time you are getting right now but it is what it.
Old 03-30-12, 12:36 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

You meant the rear door or the trunk? Because if you have the trunk open and put the gear level to R or D, there is a message that will be shown on you MID and may be a beeeeeeep. If it is the rear door then I don't know if there is any indications at all.

Sorry for your mishaps.
Old 03-30-12, 03:26 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts

There should be a light or a warning for ANY door that got left open.
Old 03-30-12, 03:50 PM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

But there is the red light that on for door ajar and it tells which door is open. Was he thinking of the sound the car makes when the driver door is open?
Old 03-30-12, 03:57 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

On the 2012, driver's door open beeping and MID warning to shift to park. Back door open only pictogram in MID. Lift gate open, warning in nav screen and no camera. Courtesy lights on in all cases.

Agreed a beeping with any door open would be nice. The lift gate open in the multi-informational display is sometimes hard to discern.

However I like that phrase, "situational awareness".
Old 03-30-12, 04:05 PM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

I'm dumbfounded on how you blame lexus for this. that's all i will say.
Old 03-30-12, 05:08 PM
GRPFAN
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brik
I've damaged my RX350 2010 back door while trying to re-park the car in my garage. The problem was - the back door was wide opened. I wonder why there was no warning sound? This is bad!
I'll be leaving this forum now.

Going out and see if "Common Sense" is died or not,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,..........

Quick Reply: Driving back with a back door opened