RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

New tires on the RX450h

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-13, 06:59 PM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are the paradas that much better than the michelin's ?
Old 02-23-13, 10:51 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
Sevn, good luck trying to get a lower price on the Pirellis. Re your question about ride on uneven roads, the tires are firm but not bouncy.
They actually agreed to price match but then I found the YK580's even cheap and they matched them. So with everything including tax it cost me $898.44 I also got a rebate form for a $100 bring my total to $798.44. I really wanted the pirelli's after I saw them at the store but paying $132 more didnt make sense to me because the warranty is also 10k less then the YK580's. Maybe next time. Thanks for your help!
Old 02-23-13, 11:22 PM
wilchan
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do keep us posted on how YK580 performs on your RX.
Old 02-24-13, 07:43 AM
afpj
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by billy44bo
Are the paradas that much better than the michelin's ?
I think the Paradas are about the same as Michelins, although probably won't last as long as the Michelins. The price difference was what got me to Paradas. got about 40k miles on them now and still happy.
Old 02-24-13, 10:01 AM
ecr72
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Twice in my life I've made very poor tire choices and both were because I was trying to save a few bucks. The last one I had just put about 60K on a set of Goodyear TripleTreds on my old Jetta Wagon. Great tires for that vehicle. I let a $100 price difference sway me to some other highly rated tires and they were garbage in comparison. They were noisy, didn't do so well with the wet weather, and only lasted about 40K miles. Lesson learned.

The other thing I learned is just because a tire is good on one vehicle does not mean it will be good on another. Same tire, the TripleTred. My old man got them for his LS430 and he hated them. They were too noisy and harsh. He replaced with ComfortTreds and he loves those. Reviews of the 19" TripleTreds for our vehicle are pretty horrible too. Shame since the tread design is great for shedding water & snow.

I guess the points I'm trying to make is don't get so hung up on price. You're outfitting a vehicle worth $30-50K with tires that cost about a grand. Worring about a one or two hundred dollar price difference seems a bit foolish. Also, be careful when comparing tires from your own experience and even on Tire Rack. What works well on a little four cylinder car may not translate too well to a heavy SUV. Filter those Tire Rack results or at least read the reviews from owners of similar size vehicles.

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 02-24-13, 03:31 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

Sevn, best of luck with the Yokohamas. The reviews sound good. With all the talk about replacement tires, I decided to start a new thread devoted to this topic. Make sure you post your experience here.
Old 02-24-13, 11:17 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Originally Posted by wilchan
Do keep us posted on how YK580 performs on your RX.
Will do.
Sevn, best of luck with the Yokohamas. The reviews sound good. With all the talk about replacement tires, I decided to start a new thread devoted to this topic. Make sure you post your experience here.
Thanks! I'll post in the new thread, but first I have to wash my car so i can post pics. It's been raining like every 4 days here.
Old 02-25-13, 06:05 PM
m1964
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ecr72
Twice in my life I've made very poor tire choices and both were because I was trying to save a few bucks. ...

The other thing I learned is just because a tire is good on one vehicle does not mean it will be good on another. ...

I guess the points I'm trying to make is don't get so hung up on price. You're outfitting a vehicle worth $30-50K with tires that cost about a grand. Worring about a one or two hundred dollar price difference seems a bit foolish. Also, be careful when comparing tires from your own experience and even on Tire Rack. What works well on a little four cylinder car may not translate too well to a heavy SUV. Filter those Tire Rack results or at least read the reviews from owners of similar size vehicles.
Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
+++All very good points in the above post; I always try to get better tires and brakes= safety for me and my family.
On a luxury vehicle such as RX most of the owners want comfort as well-that is where the Michelin tires come 1st, Continental 2nd.
People loking for 60K warranty have to realize that the only way to get 60K miles on the tires is to make the tire of harder material, which will reduce grip...Most expensive performance tires often have no waranty at all..
Old 02-27-13, 10:28 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Just an update, my YK580's are off my car and I now have the Pirelli's. I will post everything in detail in the new thread. All I can say is stay away from the YK580's. Very bad experience for me with them.
Old 02-28-13, 03:24 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

Wow, doesn't sound good at all. Make sure you let us know what happened.
Old 02-28-13, 03:41 AM
DrewGS350
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah! Would really like to hear more about your experience with the YK580's.
Old 03-07-13, 04:26 PM
MSW
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to chime in on the YK580s. I bought a set for our 2010 RX350 a few months ago after a good amount of research. My wife has put 3,200 miles on them and they still look new. I asked her if the ride has deteriorated and she told me no. Since this is on my wife's vehicle I don't drive it a lot, but a few weeks after the tires were put on I did a 350 miles mostly-highway trip on them and I was impressed with the ride and the low noise level.
Old 04-17-13, 11:40 AM
raviola4
Pit Crew

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts
Default New Michellin's on RX450H

Got a set of Michelins 3 weeks ago and love them. I know temps have gone up around here too, but MPG went from 24.5 or thereabouts to 27.5 for the past 10 days of driving. I noticed best mpg last week when temps here got over 80 for a couple days. 28.5 mpg over a 4-5 day period. back now averaging 27.5 with high's in 50's to 60's. This is mainly stop/go, 30-50 mph, and only 6-7 mile trips to work etc.
Anxious to see on a trip. Got 30+ with Dunlops in 40-50 degree weather in March. Hoping to do better but will see .
Not sure how much i can atrribute to the Michelins but for now i'll give them credit. Had Dunlop's on the car and although they still had semi-decent life left just opted to splurge on new tires. What a difference. Was torn between buying Michelin's or trying the Pirelli's or Yokohama's based on reviews. But past experience with Michelin tires has always been positive. So that made up my mind. No regrets (and yes a bit pricey for sure).
Old 04-20-13, 05:22 PM
DrewGS350
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MSW
I want to chime in on the YK580s. I bought a set for our 2010 RX350 a few months ago after a good amount of research. My wife has put 3,200 miles on them and they still look new. I asked her if the ride has deteriorated and she told me no. Since this is on my wife's vehicle I don't drive it a lot, but a few weeks after the tires were put on I did a 350 miles mostly-highway trip on them and I was impressed with the ride and the low noise level.
Just took a 2,500 mile trip on the YK580's and the ride was very smooth wife loves them.
Old 09-03-15, 07:19 AM
MIRX450H
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Which Pirellis Are Best

^^I agree. I wouldn't go cheap on the tires. Comfort ranks up there with wear to me. The Pirellis were in between the Michelins and Dunlops price wise. But the Pirellis seemed to offer the best all around. I paid around $1,200 a few months ago through my local fav tire guy. I'm still enjoying the ride four months later.
Hi Anita,
I need tires and want to give the Pirellis a shot. Can you tell me which Pirellis you selected and confirm you're still happy with them?

Thanks

Quick Reply: New tires on the RX450h