RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Auto tailgate doesn't have safety auto-reverse feature

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-12, 08:34 AM
bam
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DunWkg
Bam,

Please visit your dealership. They maybe able to plug in their computer and adjust the closing force on the rear gate. You can also check the auto reverse function going the opening direction too. Again very carefully, so you don't get hurt nor you scratch your paint, stand at the back of the car with the lift gate closed and using your key fob open the door. As the door opens, apply downward pressure on the license plate (so you don't scratch your paint by accident) and the lift gate should auto reverse and close.

Besides all the things that can happen you've mentioned, the force sensor associated with the motor should (notice I said should) auto reverse if you have too much or too large of objects packed in the car or you open the door in the garage and it hits something. Having the pinch type sensor on the inside glass or the exterior of the car just wouldn't be practical.

Again, please visit your dealer and hopefully they can adjust it or explain what's going on with it. At a minimum, they can explain how it really works and you can come back and straighten me out!

Good luck.
It's not that I don't understand how it works. I've tested it last night and it works according to what is described in the manual. There are two sensors on the the side of the tailgate and only if those sensors are triggered (with little resistance) will the door auto-reverse. The manual does not say that there is any other way for the tailgate to auto-reverse.

Now I'm sure that if you do what you're describing and put my hand on the license plate, the tailgate will eventually auto-reverse but I must assume that it will only auto-reverse after a lot of resistance to the point of where it might burn out the motor. Try forcing it to auto-reverse when closing by grabbing the bottom of the tailgate and forcing the door to open. You'll see what I mean when I say that it seems to require a lot of resistance for the door to auto-reverse in this scenario considering that there is no mention that it will even auto-reverse in this instance, per the manual.

Again, it will only auto-reverse (with minimal resistance and by design) when the two sensors on the sides are triggered.
Old 04-11-12, 10:07 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

the sensors that look like gaskets are the same as what they use in auto closing minivan doors like on my Sienna. However, in that scenario the rubber gasket is the first thing you touch when it closes on you since it lines the whole side of the door.

In the RX's case, I would think they shouldnt rely on the gasket since it is not the first thing you touch. I agree this is a design flaw
Old 04-11-12, 10:23 AM
sightdev
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
I told you guys, it does have an auto reopen function but it takes a lot of force.
x2; since it requires certain amount of resistance before it reverses, if anyone is testing with their finger(s), it will break it but won't sever

lot of times we are in a hurry to load/unload from the back and several times I had my boys get "pushed" before reversing. if you really want to test, use a pillow in between so you don't harm or scratch the gate area.
Old 04-11-12, 10:30 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Bam,

Thanks for clarifying things for me. I agree it does seem to require some force to actuate the auto-reverse function by stalling the lift motor, either in the close or open operation. In both my 2010 and 2012, the auto-reverse worked without contact with the side pressure sensors, however I think children's hands, fingers, arms and bodies in general are in jeopardy of injury.

Pages 76 - 81 of the manual discuss all manner of ways the door may auto-reverse and even fail.
Old 04-11-12, 10:36 AM
DunWkg
Racer

In the RX's case, I would think they shouldnt rely on the gasket since it is not the first thing you touch. I agree this is a design flaw
RXSF,

Is there a better system in another manufacturer's vehicle than the three point system of Lexus? Is the system the same for the RX, LX and GX?
Old 04-11-12, 11:08 AM
bam
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DunWkg
RXSF,

Is there a better system in another manufacturer's vehicle than the three point system of Lexus? Is the system the same for the RX, LX and GX?
I don't know how the system is actually engineered but in my parents' Cadillac, the tailgate auto-reverses no matter where you touch it as long as there is a minimal amount of resistance. Lexus should do away with the sensors on the tailgate and move the "sensor" to the actual motor itself. In other words, the motor should be designed or programed so that if it encounters more resistance than is allowed via programing, it reverses its operation of closing or opening. That would seem to be simpler to design and more effective. Lexus' system seems more complicated and not as effective.

BTW, I don't think the GX has auto-close as it's a barn door style tailgate. Not sure though.
Old 04-11-12, 12:13 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

the GX does not have auto closing trunk per what Bam said, barn style door.

I would assume all Lexus' have this same type of design and not just the RX. I have not driven any other makes, but I assume there would be something better out there
Old 04-11-12, 12:37 PM
kwbuggy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Interesting

Now I know why I got whacked on the head when my wife closed the hatch ( by accident) while I was unloading the cargo area. I just thought the reverse function needed adjustment.
Old 04-11-12, 02:11 PM
DunWkg
Racer

I keep thinking Jim "Cruiter" will chime in and correct me, since he's had his "10 RX about the longest of us all, but Bam I think, don't know for sure, the primary safety is the sensor on the lift gate motor. It senses current draw on the motor and if the current draw is above or below the parameters Mother Lexus programmed into the computer the door has either jammed, hit something or failed. To me, it appears to work just exactly as you state in post number 21. What I think is the problem is Mother Lexus has set the parameters too far from what other manufacturers have set as safety levels. Perhaps over compensating for wind loading, snow loads or dry hinges.

If yours doesn't work, get that warranty claim made. It should work, albeit poorly.
Old 04-12-12, 08:02 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

I gave it resistance too and it didn't go back either
Old 06-07-12, 03:08 PM
Alfa777z
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What are you people talking about? What sensors? I just put my arm on the way of the closing liftgate. Slight touch + beep and the gate went up. Doesn't matter where the obstacle is located. Sides or down it works perfectly.
2007 Lexus RX 350.

Last edited by Alfa777z; 06-07-12 at 03:14 PM.
Old 06-07-12, 03:19 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 171 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Alfa777z
What are you people talking about? What sensors? I just put my arm on the way of the closing liftgate. Slight touch + beep and the gate went up. Doesn't matter where the obstacle is located. Sides or down it works perfectly.
2007 Lexus RX 350.
The sensors are not in the same location on the 3rd gen.
Old 06-07-12, 03:19 PM
Alfa777z
Driver School Candidate

I have a question. Does anybody know how to deasable the window safety reverse feature?
Old 06-07-12, 03:24 PM
Alfa777z
Driver School Candidate

Really? Are you sure there are any sensors at all? What kind of sensors? Infra-red sensors? Laser sensors? Motion sensors? :-)))) It doesn't matter what generation. If there would be so called "sensors" the lift gate sensing the obstacle would NOT start/continue the closing operation at all, but the lift gate keeps closing until it meets an abstacle. The system works just like with windows. Touch, press, back up.

Last edited by Alfa777z; 06-07-12 at 06:39 PM.
Old 06-07-12, 03:35 PM
bam
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Alfa777z
Really? Are you sure there are any sensors at all? It doesn't matter what generation. If there would be so called "sensoes" the lift gate sensing the obstacle will NOT start/continue the closing operation at all. The system works just like with windows.
The sensors for the 3rd gen rx are only on the sides of the tailgate and it doesn't have an auto-reverse from tension/resistance. The system will only auto reverse if the sensors are triggered.

Quick Reply: Auto tailgate doesn't have safety auto-reverse feature