RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Auto tailgate doesn't have safety auto-reverse feature

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-12, 03:53 PM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DunWkg
Bam,

Please visit your dealership. They maybe able to plug in their computer and adjust the closing force on the rear gate. You can also check the auto reverse function going the opening direction too. Again very carefully, so you don't get hurt nor you scratch your paint, stand at the back of the car with the lift gate closed and using your key fob open the door. As the door opens, apply downward pressure on the license plate (so you don't scratch your paint by accident) and the lift gate should auto reverse and close.

Besides all the things that can happen you've mentioned, the force sensor associated with the motor should (notice I said should) auto reverse if you have too much or too large of objects packed in the car or you open the door in the garage and it hits something. Having the pinch type sensor on the inside glass or the exterior of the car just wouldn't be practical.

Again, please visit your dealer and hopefully they can adjust it or explain what's going on with it. At a minimum, they can explain how it really works and you can come back and straighten me out!

Good luck.
worksssssssssss

Last edited by dctex99; 06-08-12 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Removed
Old 06-07-12, 06:44 PM
Alfa777z
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bam
The sensors for the 3rd gen rx are only on the sides of the tailgate and it doesn't have an auto-reverse from tension/resistance. The system will only auto reverse if the sensors are triggered.
OK so you are saying that 2 gen rx has the sensors which are located in the different place?
Old 06-08-12, 08:52 AM
bam
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dctex99
My 2013 works fine; it was demoed when we bought it and stopped and reversed quite easily!!
Can you qualify your statement and your testing procedure. As I stated in some of my earlier posts, my system works perfectly fine if you touch the tailgate where the sensors are. It will auto reverse as designed but my point in creating the post is two-fold.

1. The 3rd gen RX doens't have sensors on the bottom of the tailgate. They only have sensors on the sides of the tailgate. This is confirmed in the manual.

2. Since the tailgate doesn't have sensors on the bottom of the tailgate, if you were to have your hand trapped at the bottom of the tailgate, it won't necessarily auto-reverse like all would expect it to.
Old 06-08-12, 09:04 AM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bam
Can you qualify your statement and your testing procedure. As I stated in some of my earlier posts, my system works perfectly fine if you touch the tailgate where the sensors are. It will auto reverse as designed but my point in creating the post is two-fold.

1. The 3rd gen RX doens't have sensors on the bottom of the tailgate. They only have sensors on the sides of the tailgate. This is confirmed in the manual.

2. Since the tailgate doesn't have sensors on the bottom of the tailgate, if you were to have your hand trapped at the bottom of the tailgate, it won't necessarily auto-reverse like all would expect it to.
okkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

Last edited by dctex99; 06-08-12 at 07:57 PM. Reason: removed per monitor
Old 06-08-12, 09:58 AM
Alfa777z
Driver School Candidate

Maine also has no sensors anywhere and it works perfectly in any place of the trunk. My RX is generation-X!! Wow! Let's think logically for a moment. Why would Lexus spend so much money and time to design brand new system with mysterious sensors for gen. 3 RXs if they had perfectly working old system on gen 2 and there were no complaints from the consumers at all? Was it only for a reason for 3rd gen owners to say: Hey we have fancier car! We have sensors and you owners of 2-nd gen RX don't!!?
It sounds like a joke: Hey man, I have to buy new generation RX! Why? It has the sensors in the trunk! Although they don't work properly at all, I like the word "sensors". Sounds fancy + I can add this sensors feature to my list of options on Lexus forum! -)))

Last edited by Alfa777z; 06-08-12 at 10:14 AM.
Old 06-08-12, 07:52 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Bam,

You mentioned trying sticking a box in the back door, I wondered if you had a chance to try that or have your service advisor check out the operation.

I was on the tech site and this is some of the information I gleaned from that review:
"Jam Protection Function -
Upon receiving the signals from a touch sensor or the Hall ICs of the power back door motor, the power back door ECU detects that an object is jammed in the back door, and reverses the movement of power back door motor. The power back door warning buzzer sounds twice for 0.13 seconds when a jammed object is detected."

Bam, according to what I read there are the two touch sensors and two Hall ICs as part of the auto-reverse control of the back door. If you Google "Hall Effect" or "Hall IC", the function of these devices would be explained.

It's possible your Hall ICs are not working and the door is not auto-reversing as it should. Although since this a system, any one of the components may not be working properly.

I tried several methods before sticking my arm in there as a test. Using a rolled up bath towel would be wiser choice.
Old 06-10-12, 02:28 PM
ligflava
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just checked the '11 RX, the auto reverse on closing happened when the door was at about the last 25% of its travel distance. Near the beginning/middle of its travel, the door kept pushing (it's quite strong). Didn't find any sensors on the door though.
Old 06-11-12, 06:20 AM
Alfa777z
Driver School Candidate

As I said before there are no special or new kinds of sensors on 3rd gen RXs. Common, this is not a rocket science and just another car. The same reverse system's been used in all generations of RXs on windows and the liftgates. The same touch sensors are integrated in the window's and liftgate's electrical motors. I don't think the sensitivity of the sensor can be adjusted. It whether works or not. Mine is very sensitive and gentle. I put my fingers on the line. Slight touch + one long beep and the gate reverses. People with these problems should see the dealer. Good luck!
Old 06-11-12, 06:42 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Dave, mine reversed a few months ago as you've described. I didn't try to do it, the plastic laundry bin I keep in the back for towels, the manual, and assorted loose junk we all like to carry was the culprit. It wasn't all the way in when I pushed the close button from the dash As it started to close and push down on the basket I remember beeping and it went back up. No harm, no foul. All was right in the world after that.

Bam,

You mentioned trying sticking a box in the back door, I wondered if you had a chance to try that or have your service advisor check out the operation.

I was on the tech site and this is some of the information I gleaned from that review:
"Jam Protection Function -
Upon receiving the signals from a touch sensor or the Hall ICs of the power back door motor, the power back door ECU detects that an object is jammed in the back door, and reverses the movement of power back door motor. The power back door warning buzzer sounds twice for 0.13 seconds when a jammed object is detected."

Bam, according to what I read there are the two touch sensors and two Hall ICs as part of the auto-reverse control of the back door. If you Google "Hall Effect" or "Hall IC", the function of these devices would be explained.

It's possible your Hall ICs are not working and the door is not auto-reversing as it should. Although since this a system, any one of the components may not be working properly.

I tried several methods before sticking my arm in there as a test. Using a rolled up bath towel would be wiser choice.

Last edited by Cruiter; 06-11-12 at 06:42 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-21-12, 05:31 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Originally Posted by Alfa777z
As I said before there are no special or new kinds of sensors on 3rd gen RXs. Common, this is not a rocket science and just another car. The same reverse system's been used in all generations of RXs on windows and the liftgates. The same touch sensors are integrated in the window's and liftgate's electrical motors. I don't think the sensitivity of the sensor can be adjusted. It whether works or not. Mine is very sensitive and gentle. I put my fingers on the line. Slight touch + one long beep and the gate reverses. People with these problems should see the dealer. Good luck!
I saw there was another tailgate thread started today which triggered my curiousity and had some time to kill today and wishing to continue as a Guinea pig, I tested what Alfa had done. I put my fingers in the path of the tailgate on the bottom edge as it closed.

I think on a younger child it might have been painful. As Alfa indicated, there was a slight pinch, but my door did not reverse. The motors stopped, the car beeped and the magnetic clutch(es) released and the door powered off and was in manual mode allowing me to just lift the door.

No further human testing will be performed on the 2010-2012 tailgate. I need a 2013 to test the blind spot monitor
Old 06-21-12, 07:13 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Hey Dave, There's some things I've been meaning to test down here in GA but haven't found the courage. You wanna drive down and be my guinea pig I'll feed ya some good cow done on the green egg and some sour mash for your trouble (and maybe pain) .
Sorry, couldn't resist
I put my fingers in the path of the tailgate on the bottom edge as it closed.
Old 06-21-12, 08:28 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Gosh, that sounds delicious. I'd say stoke the fire, but every time I hit Georgia, I get stuck on 285 going in circles for days.
Old 06-25-12, 02:29 PM
Alfa777z
Driver School Candidate

I I put my fingers in the path of the tailgate on the bottom edge as it closed
Dave, I forgot to tell that I put my fingers on the side of the tailgate, not on the bottom. So the door didn't travel much down and most likely that's why in my case it did reverse. I didn't have to test with the bottom, because I knew it's working. When I bought a cargo liner I didn't line it up well at first time, so my tailgate was doing exactly the same like yours.
Old 06-25-12, 05:20 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

indeed the rubber gasket is a sensor but it only runs along the sides of the RX and not the bottom where it would potentially hit the most objects including humans. However, if you force it enough, the motor will reverse but it is more violent
Old 06-25-12, 07:22 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Remembering the Kingston Trio and the MTA. Thanks for the memory
Gosh, that sounds delicious. I'd say stoke the fire, but every time I hit Georgia, I get stuck on 285 going in circles for days.

Quick Reply: Auto tailgate doesn't have safety auto-reverse feature