RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Check your oil

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-12, 06:19 PM
mac12
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Check your oil

The wife and I are going on a thousand mile trip this weekend, so I got the 2010 RX cleaned up and ready to go. I decided that I probably needed to check the fluid levels and "Great Scott". The oil level didn't even touch the bottom of the dip stick. I went and purchased a quart of the Mobil 1 0w-20 and added it to bring the level to about a quarter inch on the stick, so off I go to get another quart. That put the level just above the low mark. The RX has about 6k on it since I got the 10k free oil change. Now my question is did the service folks fail to put the proper amount of oil in it at the 10k service or has it used two quarts since then? I've been driving Toyota products for about twenty years and I've never had one use oil. I realize that I should have checked the oil before now, so don't beat me up too badly over that. From now on I will check the oil level before I ever leave a dealership after a service. What should I do now? Watch it and continue driving until it's ready for service at 20k or take it to Lexus and have it serviced now and let them know it was two quarts low at 6k after last service? Thanks all.
Old 04-17-12, 06:45 PM
JimH2
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I would call the dealer to put on record what you found. The distance between the minimum and full mark on the dipstick is 1.6 quarts. You are actually off by around 3 quarts out of the 6.4 quarts it takes with a filter change. Are you sure your filter (gasket) and/or drain plug are not leaking oil ?
Old 04-17-12, 07:12 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

X2 what Jimh2 said. In fact, I'd go there with the oil receipts and speak (nicely) to the service manager. I've not heard of any of these new Gen III engines using oil, especially not that much. Have to conclude you didn't get enough and it should be written up. They may offer you a free oil change even.
Originally Posted by mac12
The wife and I are going on a thousand mile trip this weekend, so I got the 2010 RX cleaned up and ready to go. I decided that I probably needed to check the fluid levels and "Great Scott". The oil level didn't even touch the bottom of the dip stick. I went and purchased a quart of the Mobil 1 0w-20 and added it to bring the level to about a quarter inch on the stick, so off I go to get another quart. That put the level just above the low mark. The RX has about 6k on it since I got the 10k free oil change. Now my question is did the service folks fail to put the proper amount of oil in it at the 10k service or has it used two quarts since then? I've been driving Toyota products for about twenty years and I've never had one use oil. I realize that I should have checked the oil before now, so don't beat me up too badly over that. From now on I will check the oil level before I ever leave a dealership after a service. What should I do now? Watch it and continue driving until it's ready for service at 20k or take it to Lexus and have it serviced now and let them know it was two quarts low at 6k after last service? Thanks all.
Old 04-17-12, 07:58 PM
mac12
Intermediate

I meant to put in the post that it is definitely not leaking. Also, we don't notice any extra exhaust smoke. After it is driven a bit tomorrow, I'm gonna recheck it. It may need another quart. This is just hard to believe!!
Old 04-18-12, 08:29 AM
cafpaf
Pole Position

We have a 2011 RX and the manual states that oil consumption varies with driving conditions among other things. It also states that a new engine will use more oil. Here is the kicker. It further states that Max oil consumption is 1.1 qt./600 miles!!!! If the vehicle uses more than that amount it should go in for service. 1.1 QT/600 MILES I have never had any car use that much oil. Never!!! I would certainly have it checked out by the dealer. Baring some sort of leak, it would seem that the 1.1qt/600 miles stated in the manual is the way Lexus has created a reason not to address a potentially serious problem. FYI, our RX just had the oil changed and was probably down about 1/2 qt in 5000 miles.
Old 04-18-12, 09:46 AM
sightdev
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

IMO, at the time of change, dealer didn't put 6+ quarts needed or it actually consumed lot of oil from that date on. its important you check after the vehicle has been sitting around for at least 30 minutes to get accurate reading.

at this point, you have either over filled or have a defective engine.
Old 04-18-12, 12:58 PM
mac12
Intermediate

I'm going to watch it closely the next couple of thousand miles. If it is using that much, I see a 2012 RX in my future.
Old 04-18-12, 04:42 PM
yeehawbob
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Incidently my '09 Honda Pilot does consume more than normal Oil but still NOT 2 quarts in 2 months ro every 600 or so miles.
I am going to check my fluid levels this weekend. :-)
Old 04-18-12, 09:24 PM
py0413
Driver

I would also inform the dealer who performed the last service on your vehicle and ask them to put up a notice on your service record. The oil change could be done incorrectly and you need to let them know so in the future they can pay closer attention. Oil level inconsistency happen to my BMW all the time after services as they use that digital dip-stick which is completely rubbish.