RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

..need some help with Bluetooth

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-12, 07:36 PM
svofan1
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy ..need some help with Bluetooth

..even the person at the dealer could not answer...my 2012 Rx350 (no Nav), I have paired 2 phone (wife's and mine) when we both get in the car we manually have to "connect" one of the phones by going thru the menu....
but in the Lexus site they say that in a situation like this the system will ask which phone should be connected,which is more resonable...what am I doing wrong.....also I notice that the first phone paired mine doesn't show my name but a strange alpha/numeric squence....I am baffled in my MDX 2011..as soon as we get in the system would pick one or the other depending on who got in the car first..
thanks for any help.....
Old 04-20-12, 07:07 AM
sweetboy02
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by svofan1
..even the person at the dealer could not answer...my 2012 Rx350 (no Nav), I have paired 2 phone (wife's and mine) when we both get in the car we manually have to "connect" one of the phones by going thru the menu....
but in the Lexus site they say that in a situation like this the system will ask which phone should be connected,which is more resonable...what am I doing wrong.....also I notice that the first phone paired mine doesn't show my name but a strange alpha/numeric squence....I am baffled in my MDX 2011..as soon as we get in the system would pick one or the other depending on who got in the car first..
thanks for any help.....
My 2010 did exactly :

as soon as we get in the system would pick one or the other depending on who got in the car first..
Old 04-20-12, 08:13 AM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

I have the nav but when I get in the car first it will hook up my iphone. If my son gets in first it will hook up his on the bluetooth. When it comes to the media player it will hook up only the one it was linked to before although you can change the default one in the settings.

Often its my phone as a phone and his as bluetooth player.
Old 04-20-12, 07:48 PM
wyau01
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From my understanding, it would search for the lastly connected phone first, if it's not there, next on the list..
Old 04-20-12, 09:13 PM
svofan1
Pole Position

Well the saga continues....I found that the reason why my phone shows as some strange characters on the screen it has nothing to do with my accent!!....which is what I thought!!!...but with the fact that my phone does not have a name (I never put it in it...lol)..that was simple.
But as far as a phone being connected, it always will reconnect with the last phone that connected (my wife's for instance) so when I get in (regardless if I am first or last in) I will have to connect MY phone thus disconnecting my wifes.
It appears to me that the system will maintain only one connection at all times. How I prove this?...at the dealer my wife's IPHONE 4S was connected and all was ok, then the "guru" guy try to connect my wife's Itunes and it did but it disconnected the IPHONE..he was baffled....so are we...like I said I expect that the system will see our respective phones (which are paired and in the system) and ask which is to be connected and we are to respond, but noooooo......
Is driving me insane and LEXUS is like a frog with a pair of you know what...useless!!!!
Old 04-21-12, 12:24 PM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you just put a name in your phone why not remove your phone from the system and then reinstall it in the car with your name and make sure you set up the bluetooth player if you use it for music. Yes I know you will have to down load your contacts again and set up speed dail but this could help in the long run.
Old 04-21-12, 01:47 PM
Alpy64
Pole Position

Originally Posted by wyau01
From my understanding, it would search for the lastly connected phone first, if it's not there, next on the list..
Thats' the right answer!
Old 04-22-12, 04:59 AM
svofan1
Pole Position

...I thought that that was the way it was supposed to be...so I just went out and try it.....no!!!...it did not do that...my wife's phone was the last one "connected" last night and this morning I went in the car without her or her phone and when I try to make a phone call the system came back indicating "no phone connected"...
I ahve 2012 no navigation....
Old 04-22-12, 06:54 AM
Alpy64
Pole Position

Sorry I made a mistake on my last post:
Remind you that only one device can be connected at a time, i.e. device you can use on BT with the car is only one device even though you can pre-connect till 4 devices. I'm talking about iPhone (may be different if other device (competitors)

Context:
2 idevices coded for being connected in the BT (car for phone using only and NOT BT audio which is different connecting system).
- idevice 1 is the device using the BT when leaving the car: if you enter the car again, latest idevice used is automatically recognized (second device is in the memory of the BT system of the car). If you want to use the 2nd idevice, you must go through the menu to change device from 1 to 2. By default, the system remains programmed with the latest idevice used. To be honest, I did not try this with my RX but on my precedent RX 400h it was like this. Ido think this is the same for rx 2010. to me, all car systems use this and there is no possibility to have an automatic changing mode; change must be operated manually. It's a norm, standard system.

Now if you want to use the device in BT for audio and not for phone, it's different and more complex (at least on my iPhone and car system.
When my idevice is already switched on the car system (for phone) I have to select "BT" for audio and select the CAR MULTIMEDIA mode on the iPhone to have system communicating altogether and in 2 to 4 seconds, you can see on the screen, "idevice connected" and you can listen your idevice music with the ML system (sound is rather amazing considering the excellent sound reproduced, CD quality!)
Old 04-22-12, 08:07 AM
svofan1
Pole Position

thank you for your explanation...another detail...when at the dealer, their "expert" try to connect my wife's (she is the tec oriented in the family, even thou I was in computer all 45 years of my working life...remember IBM punch cards...lol)...anyhow I digress,Iphone 4S the phone connection is ok, then he tried to conect the Itunes feature of the phone and the music came trough beautiful, but then guess what?....the Iphone connection was gone. We have all reached the conclusion the the system can handle only one connection at the time, and THAT makes sense, what is unbelieveable is that when devices change we have to MANUALLY CONNECT the desire device, rather than the system asking for waht "liste" device you wish to connect. Incidentally in the LEXUS website it indicates that in situations like I describe the system will ask which device you wish to connect.
At any rate, as alwyas told my son and daughter in murky situations..."it is what it is...learn to deal with it"...we will....thank you all for all the good advise and good will...
Old 04-22-12, 08:31 AM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Again remove both phones from the system and reinstall them one at a time both for phone and audio. get it to work right with the frist phone then you can add the second phone and set it up for audio also. This should fix the problem for you.
HTML Code:
Works this way on both my RX450h and my XLE Camry both have nav.
Old 04-22-12, 10:18 AM
Alpy64
Pole Position

It's exactly what I've said above!
Finally mystery is unveiled
Old 04-22-12, 02:56 PM
wa3cuj
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by svofan1
...I thought that that was the way it was supposed to be...so I just went out and try it.....no!!!...it did not do that...my wife's phone was the last one "connected" last night and this morning I went in the car without her or her phone and when I try to make a phone call the system came back indicating "no phone connected"...
I ahve 2012 no navigation....
I was having the same issue. Then one day I got into my RX with my phone turned off yet the display showed that the Bluetooth Connection Successful. Upon checking I found that my wife's phone was connected. What was happening was that my wife's phone was inside the house and turned on. I thought bluetooth was only short range but in my case, my wife's phone sync'd up from 30+ feet away.
Old 04-22-12, 04:32 PM
BertL
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by wa3cuj
I was having the same issue. Then one day I got into my RX with my phone turned off yet the display showed that the Bluetooth Connection Successful. Upon checking I found that my wife's phone was connected. What was happening was that my wife's phone was inside the house and turned on. I thought bluetooth was only short range but in my case, my wife's phone sync'd up from 30+ feet away.
Good point. If I leave my iPhone 4 in my office, which is 40' or more from the garage and 3 solid walls away, my rx400 will connect to it from the garage and even just outside the garage when I pull into the driveway (after having forgotten my phone at home).