RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Exposed wires under hood passenger side

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-12, 08:38 PM
rx11fan
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exposed wires under hood passenger side

Hi,

I have bought an 2011 rx350 a month ago with a couple of thousand miles. I just looked under the hood after removing the plastic casing. I see that there is a long wire/harness on the passenger side but I see that the wires are exposed, I mean they are not enclosed in a plasitc casing as u usually see. I am attaching a picture. Can anyone tell me which harness is this and if their's look the same.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Exposed wires under hood passenger side-photo-3-.jpg  
Old 05-03-12, 06:53 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

I dont think mine looks like that but i will check tomorrow and let you know. I bought mine used also.
Old 05-05-12, 05:52 PM
rx11fan
Rookie

Originally Posted by Sevn86
I dont think mine looks like that but i will check tomorrow and let you know. I bought mine used also.
Great. Thanks. I took it to local car audio shop and paid them $20 to get that whole line wrapped with a non-adhesive vinyl tape (cold shrink is what its called at advance auto, no glue but sticks to itself and is good for -40 to 221F temp) and then had them cover it all with split wire loom (conduit-fire retardant) and tape the joints etc with 3M electrical tape (which good for upto 221 deg F). Looks good now. But it will be great to see your's looks like...
Old 05-05-12, 10:40 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rx11fan
Great. Thanks. I took it to local car audio shop and paid them $20 to get that whole line wrapped with a non-adhesive vinyl tape (cold shrink is what its called at advance auto, no glue but sticks to itself and is good for -40 to 221F temp) and then had them cover it all with split wire loom (conduit-fire retardant) and tape the joints etc with 3M electrical tape (which good for upto 221 deg F). Looks good now. But it will be great to see your's looks like...
Will post a pic tomorrow as its like almost 1 in the morning right now.
Old 05-06-12, 12:57 PM
svofan1
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sevn 86...do you realized that is past 1:00 am?....leave that poor 350 alone for a while...let it rest....lol
Old 05-07-12, 09:43 AM
rx11fan
Rookie

Will post a pic tomorrow as its like almost 1 in the morning right now.
Can anyone post a picture of their underhood? Thanks!
Old 05-07-12, 11:55 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

That's going to require waiting till someone pulls out the panels over the engine, might be a while. But I remember showing my tech some similar to what the photo from the O/P posted when the car was new. We looked at others and they were all the same.
Originally Posted by rx11fan
Can anyone post a picture of their underhood? Thanks!
Old 05-07-12, 05:36 PM
rx11fan
Rookie

Originally Posted by Cruiter
That's going to require waiting till someone pulls out the panels over the engine, might be a while. But I remember showing my tech some similar to what the photo from the O/P posted when the car was new. We looked at others and they were all the same.
I doubt it. Did you see the stack of wires in the harness that are exposed? No kidding, if Toyota did leave them that way, this would be my first and last Lexus. I doubt it though. From what I read, if they had to pull the harness out to replace headlight or something, its impossible to wiggle it as the harness is so tightly packed/sealed. They will have to cut open the outer shell so they can easily clip it at necessary points to the body. I may be wrong but there is no way any harness exposed that way will make it over a year or two in that heat. Again, until we see someone else's pics, hard to tell...
Old 05-07-12, 09:10 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Did you buy yours used? Did your engine bay come with covers all around or was it open?
Old 05-08-12, 04:39 AM
rx11fan
Rookie

Did you buy yours used? Did your engine bay come with covers all around or was it open?
Yes. It has covers (3) which you can easily open by pressing on the push pins. I took the left (passenger side) for this photo.
Old 05-08-12, 07:55 AM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Someone had to do it, so here it is. Looks like that is they way Lexus makes them. Mine is a '10 from Japan.
Attached Thumbnails Exposed wires under hood passenger side-l-001.jpg   Exposed wires under hood passenger side-l-002.jpg  
Old 05-08-12, 07:57 AM
Sevn86
Pole Position

I went out and got pics. I can't believe my car has the same exposed wires as yours. My camry had all its wires covered. Lexus needs to do something about this. Anyone else out there that also has their wires exposed?
Attached Thumbnails Exposed wires under hood passenger side-img_0564.jpg   Exposed wires under hood passenger side-img_0563.jpg  
Old 05-08-12, 07:58 AM
Sevn86
Pole Position

btw mines a Canada build.
Old 05-08-12, 08:42 AM
rx11fan
Rookie

btw mines a Canada build.
How do you tell if its Japan or canada? based on VIN?

Anyway, that's exactly how my wires are exposed as well. I still can't believe that Lexus leaves them like that? Guess what, I called the dealer and he said the price on that new harness is $3600. Its one heck of an engine harness and it goes all over the vehicle not just this area. I guess they only care for it to last 4yrs/50K. Anyway, I bought a non-adhesive self cold shrink vinyl tape (-40 to 221F) ~$10 in electrical section of advance auto (http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-13830-85274.aspx) and a fire retardant conduit and use 3M scotch33+ tape had my local trailblazers to cover it all up for $20. They did a very professional job and I am glad I didn't do it I will post a pic this evening...
Old 05-08-12, 08:51 AM
rx11fan
Rookie

I went out and got pics. I can't believe my car has the same exposed wires as yours. My camry had all its wires covered. Lexus needs to do something about this. Anyone else out there that also has their wires exposed?
I have never seen any car (I had a Toyota, Nissan, Infiniti, Honda, bmw, VW) with wires exposed like that. Cost savings I guess I will check with the dealer next month when it goes for service. The more I see, the more appreciative I am of Infiniti/Nissan's quality. I had a 10 year old Infi that looked flawless under hood, cables etc. My one year old Lexus got a couple things covered in rust already. the -ve terminal of battery is all rusted. I will have to ask the dealer to replace it under warranty or something... Thanks for photos though...

Quick Reply: Exposed wires under hood passenger side