RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Shakes and rattles

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-12, 01:08 AM
Allysmom
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shakes and rattles

Im the new owner of 2010 RX in tungsten pearl/black interior purchased with 1 year warranty left, car interior/exterior is gorgeous. So far, I'm loving my sweet new ride and this very awesome and informative club Lexus family. I'm experiencing a strange rattle coming from front passenger door area and I can't pinpoint exactly what it is. It is very annoying and I'm having to turn up radio so as to drown it out. Have any of you guys had a similar problem? If anyone has covered this topic I do apologize in advance. Thanks guys.
Ally's mom
Old 05-11-12, 06:44 AM
sightdev
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

i wonder if the door(s) was repaired and didn't have everything back in its original place or left something inside.

take the panel off and see everything is in-place. My left rear door had similar rattling and I had it traced to inside door handle clip that came undone or repair man forgot to clip back on.
Old 05-11-12, 07:33 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

One thing that I have noticed is that the doors on the RX are large. I think this leads to some body/door flex as the car hits bumps. On my car I put some Gorilla tape (that is a brand name for a very strong tape you can pickup at Home Depot) on the U shaped hooks that the door latches to when it shuts. What I think can happen is when the body/door flexes you get a little metal to metal rattle between the door latch and the attachment point on the car frame. Just look at where your door latches when you shut it and hopefully this will make sense. Anyway, the tape is cheap and it is easy to put on and see if the rattle goes away. If it does, then you can have Lexus adjust the doors or just leave the tape on. If this is your problem, make sure you do all four doors when you are trouble shooting.

To really isolate rattles, you need to have a second person with excellent hearing (preferably a younger person) in the car. They can move around and find the rattles. My daughter helped me chase down all the noises in my RX. You may find that a number of things are contributing the problem. You might want to remove the cover that goes in the trunk before you start to isolate problems because that is one of the biggest offenders and you can just remove it while you are testing.
Old 05-11-12, 08:42 PM
grt62
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder if it is the seatbelt clasp. I know that the clasp for the right front seat will rattle if it slips below the side of the headrest and onto the seat of the right front door. It drove me crazy for a while...
Old 05-12-12, 07:45 AM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by grt62
I wonder if it is the seatbelt clasp. I know that the clasp for the right front seat will rattle if it slips below the side of the headrest and onto the seat of the right front door. It drove me crazy for a while...
My Camry had this issue and I was so annoyed I wanted to cut the seatbelt off! I sold that car.