RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2010 RX350 worst quality than previous generation.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-12, 07:30 AM
Quatro40
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2010 RX350 worst quality than previous generation.

My trade of the 08 RX for the 2010 RX has gone horrible. I have had the 08 RX for ever and never had a single issue with it. I trade into a CPO 2010 RX last Monday and the car has been the shop twice and still is. It was for the steering wheel noise, they grease the boot the first time. Noise still there. Brought it on Monday to the Lexus service, they gave me a loaner this time, Tuesday comes nobody calls me by 5pm so I call to see what is going on, nobody knows. Wednesday I get a call from Master Tech that they are holding the car till next week because they don't know what is causing the noise, they called Japan don't know either have to wait for the engineers to get back at them which will be around Friday or Monday so if they can fix it will have the car sometime mid week, it is not the common steering wheel loose nut that they can't re tighten and have to replace the whole steering wheel column. This noise is coming from the top part of the steering wheel where the airbag and horn is.

Another noise developed on the rear passenger wheel well when going over bumps and told them about it too, sounds like a leaky shock.

The quality of Lexus has gone down the drain, I drove the car less than 50 miles and it was supposed to be CPO, working with the sales manager to see if they can do a good will exchange since I haven't even driven the car because its been on the shop since the day after I bought it, so this month I will basically pay Lexus Financial to drive one of their loaners. Thinking of calling Lexus corporate and getting some kind of backing up on the exchange, what you guys think?
Old 05-17-12, 07:55 AM
ejm3
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure you can trash Lexus, the RX or even the 2010 RX specifically because of the relatively minor issue on your car.
Old 05-17-12, 08:31 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 169 Likes on 143 Posts

Quatro40, sorry to hear you're having problems with the '10 RX you recently picked up. It's unusual to hear about these kind of things. The dealer should swap your vehicle for a comparable one since the problem is not resolved. Personally I would have serious doubts they can fix it at this point. But realize some of the fault may lie with the dealer. It may be time to find a new one. In the meantime, keep on them and certainly give Lexus Corporate a call. Going the legal route (lemon law) is an option. That should be your absolute last resort though. Best of luck and please keep us informed about what happens.
Old 05-17-12, 08:48 AM
Quatro40
Rookie

Thanks Anita, I called corporate and they are going to try to work with the dealer on a goodwill exchange.

ejm3 I am not trashing Lexus, just relating my experience so far with the 2010 RX 350. I have had 3 previous Lexus cars and I never had a problem like this.
Old 05-17-12, 10:25 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I wouldn't say Lexus quality has gone down the drain. It just sound like the dealer sold you a bad preowned vehicle. Being that the car is used I wouldn't expect everything to work perfect at the begin but that's just me. If I were you I would call the dealer every other day to let him know you mean business. Especially since your 1st month car payment is about to roll around.
Old 05-17-12, 10:44 AM
ejm3
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Quatro40
Thanks Anita, I called corporate and they are going to try to work with the dealer on a goodwill exchange.

ejm3 I am not trashing Lexus, just relating my experience so far with the 2010 RX 350. I have had 3 previous Lexus cars and I never had a problem like this.
"The quality of Lexus has gone down the drain, " certainly sounds like trashing Lexus to me!
I think your case is highly unusual and as Anita recommended you should work it out with the dealer.
Old 05-17-12, 10:59 AM
KOPGLOVE
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ejm3
"The quality of Lexus has gone down the drain, " certainly sounds like trashing Lexus to me!
I think your case is highly unusual and as Anita recommended you should work it out with the dealer.
Lexus will stand behind there product. You have a rare situation. Hopefully it will be resolved. Lexus quality is one of the best.

Trending Topics

Old 05-17-12, 01:59 PM
DINH300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Quatro40
Another noise developed on the rear passenger wheel well when going over bumps and told them about it too, sounds like a leaky shock.

I had this problem last year when I bought my 2011 RX350 TP/Blk Navi new with only 16 miles on the ODO Right out of the dealer the car started to make noise when coming to a stop or speed bumps. I went to the dealership on 4 different times to resolve the issue and every time they thought it was the suspension was torque wrong, seat belt tensioner, Pad shift etc. the problem got worst and worst until I got fed up and called and said if you guys don't fix it I will lemon law the car.

I drove to the dealer the next day and spoke with the service manager and he got the master mechanic to test drive the car with me and he told me this is a very minor issue where the rear brake caliper have 6 contact points and the pads get stuck in position so they gave me a loaner and I got my car back 3 days later and its been 18k miles with no issues.
Old 05-17-12, 02:10 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

I wouldn't say its the quality as much as the assembly. An 08 RX has much tighter fit and finish and is seamless between transitioning panels. Newer models use more plastics, but the trim has gotten better since 2010 models
Old 05-17-12, 02:19 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm sure they will fix your car, even if it means getting authorization to replace the whole steering wheel assembly. I don't think that Lexus quality has gone down the drain. That is a pretty harsh statement. If you look at stats on various reliability sites on the web, you will see that the RX has one of the lowest failure rates of any car. But, I do feel that in the past five plus years Lexus designed vehicles which do not have the over engineered margins you would expect in an expensive Luxury car. Perhaps that is because they view the RX as an entry level luxury vehicle; perhaps they are trying to introduce more road feel into the vehicles which is just compromising what people expect. It may be the heavy reliance on interior plastic surfaces ... something is just different. One good example is the plastic on the lower interior door areas. On my prior cars, this may have been carpeted and wouldn't get damaged if hit. Now it is possible to scratch these parts. Many of the new vehicles released during this time like the HS and CT also seem to be bad. My prior Lexus purchases just seemed to be more solid than current products. After Lexus/Toyota took a beating a couple of years ago over slipping quality, my hope is that the situation will improve. After paying these kinds of prices, owners don't want to be annoyed with noises, road noise, engine noise, harsh ride quality and all of the other problems that cause doubt about the purchase.

Last edited by UCSB; 05-17-12 at 02:24 PM.
Old 05-17-12, 04:04 PM
Quatro40
Rookie

Hello again, from this point on dealing directly with Lexus Corporate. Just came back from the dealer, mysteriously after I raised hell about the exchange and after they told me that it is not the steering wheel column now it is and they won't have it in until mid June, the other part is a bad strut on the rear passer wheel. I had a nice chat with both managers about putting up a car like that for sale and certifying it.

They insisted that I pick up the car right there and then and wouldn't not offer the loaner again. When they brought it back they wouldn't give me a write up on the work done, so I told them I am not picking up the car until I get one as proof that they even looked at the car. Finally the sales manager comes into the service lobby with a photocopy of the write up from the day I brought in the Lexus and gives it to me without their copy or me signing it, at this point I was really upset at their tactics so I called corporate as everything is happening and he decides to sign the write up himself.

To top it off when I get to the car my Lexus key chain is broken, (they replaced it with a cheaper version) and when drove the car back all the noises where worst now it sounds like a 1990 hyundai cluncker. Unveliavable.

Stay away from Tri-County Lexus in Little Falls NJ.
Old 05-17-12, 04:49 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 169 Likes on 143 Posts

Quatro40, I didn't think it could get any worse. Wow! Tri-County is a big part of the problem. I'll reserve comment. In addition to Lexus Corporate, you can file a complaint against the dealer with the state and/or the Better Business Bureau. The latter might be more effective in getting a quick response. And make sure you document everything. It's got to get better.
Old 05-17-12, 07:29 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Lemon Law candidate (can you even do a lemon law case with a used car)? Just keep accurate records and stay on top of the situation. Nothing will kill the luxury vehicle vibe faster than an experience like the one you are describing.

Last edited by UCSB; 05-17-12 at 07:43 PM.
Old 05-17-12, 08:14 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts

Wow, not only they couldn't do anything to fix it, they're even trying to get away with it. SMFH.
Old 05-17-12, 08:27 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow! It's hard to know what to say. Even though you purchased the car at Tri County, do you have to have it serviced there? I've used Warnock (now Lexus of Rt 10) since '98 for service on all my RXs and they have been great
Since your car is a 2010 used car its hard to know how it has been driven. I can't say the 2010s are to blame.

Quick Reply: 2010 RX350 worst quality than previous generation.