RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Anyone get a discount on a 2013 RX??

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-12, 09:14 AM
DnvCowboys
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We got a fairly decent discount on both of our 2013 RXs. They also threw in the remote start on one since it didn't have it and the other one did.
Old 10-02-12, 09:32 AM
lynhnn
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steven Creeks Lexus, Santa Clara, California

AWD, Navi, BSM ... MSRP: :$49,069.
Purchased $45,500 + TTL
We love the color combo, the 18" wheels, AWD and BSM so we go for it!
Old 10-02-12, 09:40 AM
Gymniac
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tomonlexus
I love the conversation here. I hope you that answer are being honest and just not talking to see you in print.

So that we are all arriving at the same MSRP I will list the specs on my pending order.
Base Price On 9420A FWD $39,310, Comfort Pkg $1,340, Display Audio $860, 19" wheels $770, Intutive Parking assist, $500, Premium Pkg with Blind Spot system $2,760, Towing Pkg $245, Wood/Leather wheel & shifter $330, Paint Protection $429, Cargo Envelope Net $49, Pref Accy Pkg $255, Destination Charge (MKE) $875.
Total MSRP $47,723. Both Costco & Consumer Reports got same total.
Consumer Report Listed Dealer Invoice as;
Base Invoice $36,754, Optional Equipment $6,741, Destination Charge $895, Regional Advertising $589,
Total Dealer Invoice $44,980
The Regional Advertising is not on the sticker but CR states the Dealer will be charged for it.
The Dealer hold back list is dated a year ago so that may be accurate or not.........only time will tell until someone finds out whether it is in effect or not on Lexus. I have bought cars from this salesman before I don't think he was lying to me.

Based on the discounts some here are getting the invoice means nothing. We are at the start of a new model year with hot new Lexus designs and with that said they don't have to sell cars at a loss Example one sale here was 11.1% off MSRP
Some here report being offered zero discount others like here over 11%
There are 2 dealerships in MKE both owned by the same company. 70 miles away another dealer who may be in bed with the MKE dealers.

Any further thoughts?
It all depends...how does a typical Lexus lot look like where you live? Are they full of brand new RX350s collecting dust? Is it the end of the month? etc etc.

Where I live, it looked like they weren't going all that fast. So I started with a nice even number $4000. Looking back I should have started with $5000 but at this point I'm not gonna sweat it...there is always going to be someone who'll be better at arm-twisting than you. Plus you don't know if the people with "awesome discounts" aren't getting ripped off on their trade-ins or not. In my case, there was no trade-in.

But overall, I think I did pretty good on the deal I just closed for my parents: $4000 discount, paid doc fee, free front window tints, $100 discount on full clear shield treatment ($950 w/o discount) and a free cargo net. Net savings of about 7.2% on the car itself. Had I not paid the doc fee I would have been at 8.2%.

Last edited by Gymniac; 10-02-12 at 10:13 AM.
Old 10-02-12, 09:53 AM
mac12
Intermediate

I just bought a 2013 RX350 from Sewell in Dallas and thought I got a good deal. The msrp was 49,180 and I got it for 44,900. They also tinted windows and added body side mouldings. That's about 9% off of MSRP.
Old 10-02-12, 09:58 AM
saz25
Rookie

Originally Posted by tomonlexus
I love the conversation here. I hope you that answer are being honest and just not talking to see you in print.

So that we are all arriving at the same MSRP I will list the specs on my pending order.
Base Price On 9420A FWD $39,310, Comfort Pkg $1,340, Display Audio $860, 19" wheels $770, Intutive Parking assist, $500, Premium Pkg with Blind Spot system $2,760, Towing Pkg $245, Wood/Leather wheel & shifter $330, Paint Protection $429, Cargo Envelope Net $49, Pref Accy Pkg $255, Destination Charge (MKE) $875.
Total MSRP $47,723. Both Costco & Consumer Reports got same total.
Consumer Report Listed Dealer Invoice as;
Base Invoice $36,754, Optional Equipment $6,741, Destination Charge $895, Regional Advertising $589,
Total Dealer Invoice $44,980
The Regional Advertising is not on the sticker but CR states the Dealer will be charged for it.
The Dealer hold back list is dated a year ago so that may be accurate or not.........only time will tell until someone finds out whether it is in effect or not on Lexus. I have bought cars from this salesman before I don't think he was lying to me.

Based on the discounts some here are getting the invoice means nothing. We are at the start of a new model year with hot new Lexus designs and with that said they don't have to sell cars at a loss Example one sale here was 11.1% off MSRP
Some here report being offered zero discount others like here over 11%
There are 2 dealerships in MKE both owned by the same company. 70 miles away another dealer who may be in bed with the MKE dealers.

Any further thoughts?
I am not here just to see myself in "print". I am just trying to help people. I've already bought 3 cars in the past 2 months. One for me (a 2013 RX350), and 2 others for family members. Yes, I did the negotiations. It was on a 2013 Hyundai and a 2012 Toyota. And, yes, I used the exact same technique. These are all current and very new models.

If a dealer tells you there is an advertising fee, even if its printed on their sticker, its a scam and another way for them to make you "think" that its non-negotiable. Its BS.

Dealer holdbacks, regardless of what they say is a way of life in the car business. They may change the name/terminology, but the fact remains, the dealer gets money from the manufacturer once the car is sold.

With all due respect, once you think you got a good deal from this salesman in the past and I believe him, you have fallen into their "trap". That's what they want you to believe. That's what they are trained to do; to make you "think" you got a good deal. Again, its BS.

My Mom was about to buy a car a couple months ago. She insisted that she deal with the same salesman who sold her their previous car 5 years ago. He gave her his "best" price. It was $3000 off MSRP. She was so happy and about to make the deal. I said "wait a minute".

So I did some research on the car, invoice, incentives, hold backs, etc. I called the dealer and acted like a different person; not related to my Mom. I negotiated a deal that was about $5000 off MSRP. Then, we went in and insisted that he give my Mom that deal. The salesman wasn't happy. But it exposed him for what he was; trying to make a "senior citizen" think they got a good deal, when in fact it was not.

If you are in an area with few Lexus dealers, you may need to look elsewhere. Wasn't there a person who posted on this site who flew to Philly to save $3000? He lived near Pittsburgh and was able to get little in the way of Lexus RX discounts. So he spent a few bucks on a plane ticket after negotiating a deal on the phone, and saved more than the ticket price.

I know someone else who flew from Michigan to Boston to buy an 2013 RX350 that same week I bought mine. He saved a bundle.

Steve
Old 10-02-12, 11:16 AM
tomonlexus
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy Thanks for all the input

Steve
My comment was not directed to you. :

My pending deal is with no trade. And is a order out from Lexus not on a car in stock.

The Regional Avertising was only on the Consumer Report list of dealer costs.... not on the sticker.

The 11.1%on your RX 350 was a fantastic deal.

Keeping my comparisons to 2013 Lexus RX 350 and not try to compare to other autos makes this simpler

I don't want to buy somewhere else and come back to my local dealer for service. Over the years I have bought dozen's of cars for my company. My dealers have always taken care of us with secret warranty, exended warrantys, loaners (if parts were not avilable) before they were popular. Dealer notified me that GM was going to put a new diesel engine in my car and I should go ou and pound the car that was alreadly had a lower engine knock.
These benefits are worth something. I needed our 5 salesmen on the road with customers not waiting for car repairs.

I have not closed on my deal as of yet. I may offer a new price but I can't believe a profitable dealer without special factory incentitives would allow me to order out a new 2013 RX 350 for 11% off MSRP .
Something that may help with discounts for a while is that Japan and China are both claiming some islands off shore. This is a bitter fight and driving Japenese car in China is getting risky and some dealerships have been closed down.

I will add to this thread either way.

DCTCX99
I have a 2007 ES 350 wth 42,000 paved road only miles and the hood has many pain chips. I wish I had bought this paint protection on that one.
The Paint protection is about a .050 thick sheet of a Mylar product not a spray can of something.
The comment about the advertising fee on your 1964 Thunderbird is a moot point.

Tom
Old 10-02-12, 12:38 PM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tom: ;my question was that you implied it was FACTORY;;it is obviously NOT, hope you get a good brand; I have seen numorous people with FOGGED mylar, and many brands to choose from and even complaints ab out 3Ms.........so choose your aftermarket film wisely
Old 10-03-12, 06:29 AM
dknn
Rookie

This past weekend I went to Hennessy Lexus in Gwinnett for a 2013 AWD RX450h. Sticker was 58380.00 and the Vehicle Inquiry that the salesman provided showed an invoice of 55415.00

The initial offer by the dealer was invoice. The deal quickly fell apart after the dealing with the trade. Carmax offered me 32k about a month and a half ago so I taken slightly back when the dealer offered 27500.

This is when things got UGLY pretty quickly. Before the salesman had his appraiser check my car out he asked me how much I wanted for the car, I told him at this point just give me an estimate. I mentioned I have looked online at different sites but did not have any particular number.

After questioning the dealer about the low ball offer and that I expected at least 32k, the salesperson flipped his lid at me. He accused me of being dishonest with him and that he does not like dealing with dishonest people and that if I wanted 32k I should have told him from the beginning as this was wasting time. He kept on going on about how insulted he was that I didn't let him know about the offer from Carmax.

After his tirade, I told him he needs to watch himself and that I retired from the Marines after 22 years and I don't take kindly to someone questioning my integrity and honesty. He stands up from his desk and said he didn't need to sell us a car and in fact, didn't want to sell us a car either.

At this point, my friend told the salesperson to calm down and then told him what difference does it made what we wanted for the trade. If we said 37k, would he had come back with a higher number? They started going at it and with voices being raised, I asked to speak to his manager.

The manager comes over and tries to calm everyone down. He makes the salesperson apologize and gets the car re-looked at. The offer goes up to 29k and he comes down 415 dollars from invoice. Then the sales manager states that Carmax must had made a mistake with their offer and that I was more than welcome to sell the car to Carmax.

Never in my life have I ever had a salesperson go pretty much postal. For him to act like he was insulted from this transaction was beyond ludicrous as he works in a business full of obfuscation and dishonesty. The whole experience left a disgusting taste in my mouth.

To make matters worse for him, my sister placed a deposit on a 2013 fully loaded GS450h 3 months ago and will now cancel that transaction. I also mentioned that to him during his tirade and he said he didn't care that he lost that sale either or mine.

On Monday, the salesperson called to apologize again and his excuse was that it was the end of the month and he had 2 pending sales going and was stressed out.

So in the end the offer stands at 415 below invoice. I am tempted to write a letter to the dealership about my experience.

Last edited by dknn; 10-03-12 at 06:39 AM.
Old 10-03-12, 07:11 AM
Gymniac
Lexus Test Driver

^ ^ ^ ^
Wow, quit an experience. That's why I never have a trade-in when buying a car...one less ball to keep an eye on. Carmax is actually a good place to "dump" your car. They have always offered me more than the "dealers" in my experience.
Old 10-03-12, 07:53 AM
saz25
Rookie

Its always best to never even mention a trade-in when negotiating a price on a new car purchase. First agree on the new car price. If and when you are satisfied with the new car price, then (and only then) bring up the trade. Treat it a 2 totally separate transactions. Many salespeople don't like that, but only because I goes against their "game" of trying to give you less for the trade and making it seem like you are getting a lot off the new car. By treating it separate, you will know exactly what he is offering for the trade. You are under no obligation to tell him how you arrived at your price. Do you think they will be honest with you and tell you exactly what they paid for the car and why they are offering the price they are offering for the new car? The answer is no.

Reading what you said about this sales person, I would either never buy a car from them or ask to start over, but this time with another sales person.

A few years ago I did just that. I really didn't car for the style and attitude of the sales person I initially was dealing with. I just stood up and asked to speak to a manager. I then said that I was very much interested in this specific car, but I felt uncomfortable working with this one sales person. He appointed another person for me to work with.

Additionally $415 below invoice is a joke. Even if they sell that car at invoice, they are still making approx. $2000, and perhaps more.

Steve
Old 10-07-12, 04:21 AM
2013rx
Driver School Candidate

2013 RX-350 MSRP 46,045.00 Paid 43,000. Thought I got a god deal until I found out door moldings was extra. If I would have known that I would have negotiated that in the deal. I'll know next time. I did get the Michelin tires, which was a surprise.
Old 10-07-12, 05:12 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

DKNN, that was quite a story. I retired from the car business here in the Atlanta market and if a salesperson had acted like that in one of our showrooms he'd be looking for a new job before sunset. When I bought my last car (2010 RX450h) the dealer actually told me I might get more at Carmax. In fact it was about $3K more so I bought the new one outright and they came to Carmax to pick me up .

But if you can sell the car to Carmax and still get the deal you want at Hennessy, go for it and do service at another dealer (or Toyota) .
Old 10-07-12, 10:01 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by dknn
This past weekend I went to Hennessy Lexus in Gwinnett for a 2013 AWD RX450h. Sticker was 58380.00 and the Vehicle Inquiry that the salesman provided showed an invoice of 55415.00

The initial offer by the dealer was invoice. The deal quickly fell apart after the dealing with the trade. Carmax offered me 32k about a month and a half ago so I taken slightly back when the dealer offered 27500.

This is when things got UGLY pretty quickly. Before the salesman had his appraiser check my car out he asked me how much I wanted for the car, I told him at this point just give me an estimate. I mentioned I have looked online at different sites but did not have any particular number.

After questioning the dealer about the low ball offer and that I expected at least 32k, the salesperson flipped his lid at me. He accused me of being dishonest with him and that he does not like dealing with dishonest people and that if I wanted 32k I should have told him from the beginning as this was wasting time. He kept on going on about how insulted he was that I didn't let him know about the offer from Carmax.

After his tirade, I told him he needs to watch himself and that I retired from the Marines after 22 years and I don't take kindly to someone questioning my integrity and honesty. He stands up from his desk and said he didn't need to sell us a car and in fact, didn't want to sell us a car either.

At this point, my friend told the salesperson to calm down and then told him what difference does it made what we wanted for the trade. If we said 37k, would he had come back with a higher number? They started going at it and with voices being raised, I asked to speak to his manager.

The manager comes over and tries to calm everyone down. He makes the salesperson apologize and gets the car re-looked at. The offer goes up to 29k and he comes down 415 dollars from invoice. Then the sales manager states that Carmax must had made a mistake with their offer and that I .

Never in my life have I ever had a salesperson go pretty much postal. For him to act like he was insulted from this transaction was beyond ludicrous as he works in a business full of obfuscation and dishonesty. The whole experience left a disgusting taste in my mouth.

To make matters worse for him, my sister placed a deposit on a 2013 fully loaded GS450h 3 months ago and will now cancel that transaction. I also mentioned that to him during his tirade and he said he didn't care that he lost that sale either or mine.

On Monday, the salesperson called to apologize again and his excuse was that it was the end of the month and he had 2 pending sales going and was stressed out.

So in the end the offer stands at 415 below invoice. I am tempted to write a letter to the dealership about my experience.
Hey bud sorry to here and I've purchase multiple vehicles from Hennessy Lexus of Gwinnett and hosted many events there. They've always been amazing to deal with and completely customer service oriented. Very sorry to hear your story. I know them really well and please email me at seloc1@gmail.com I would like to help in any way. They've always stood behind the local Lexus community SELOC.

Sorry again to hear and let me know how I can help

Mike
Old 10-07-12, 10:04 AM
rks1974
Driver School Candidate

$1,250 off invoice for 2013 RX40h in MA. Purchased.
Old 10-08-12, 09:52 PM
Littlegurl
Driver School Candidate

I live in Chicago (with a 9.25% sales tax) and wanted to buy a 2013 RX450h, my closest dealer quote me $57800 (not including the taxes and document charges) with the luxury package. Is this a good deal? Any help is appreciated...

Quick Reply: Anyone get a discount on a 2013 RX??