RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Anyone get a discount on a 2013 RX??

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-13, 03:38 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by seanlin
What is the reason no Nav? It is going to be hard to sell later on.
Do not believe that to be necessarily true. Not everyone wants a built-in NAV system which is incredibly expensive to update and requires a monthly subscription to get access to traffic and weather information via Lexus Enform. The maps app on my cellphone is far more powerful, immediately up-to-date, includes traffic information, weather condition updates and does not cost extra. When the I-5 bridge in WA collapsed the online maps were updated in very short order, as an example, and traffic was already being routed on to alternate roads.

In addition, once you commit to the Lexus NAV and Lexus Enform system you are stuck with it. Functionality updates will probably not be made available to older 3rd Generation RX, such as user interface changes. Instead, those would more than likely only make it into future RX model years. With a separate standalone GPS or cellphone system you can inexpensively replace the device and get all the latest features. A 7" tablet with cellular capabilities would make a better traveling companion. Otherwise, how often do you really need the system?

Take the money one saves in not making that purchase, put it in the bank, and when it comes time to trade-in your vehicle you will be no worse off. If you do not subscribe to Lexus Enform you will be even further ahead of the game.

Of course, YMMV.
Old 07-12-13, 04:25 PM
masushsa
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by utee05
I agree it would be hard to resell but we would never use. Wife doesn't want it either and we all know they call the shots
I agree with the previous poster...Most people look for Navigation...Its around 2775 MSRP (with negotiation, you could bring this price a little lower)....The new RX350s come with Navigation System w/Voice Command, Backup Camera, Lexus Enform screen multimedia display & Lexus Enform with Destination Assist and eDestination, App Suite, SiriusXM NavTraffic, NavWether, Stocks Sports & Fule prices (1-year trial subscription included)

May be worth re-evaluating this option from a long term perspective....
Old 07-12-13, 05:46 PM
busurfer
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RX330inFL

In addition, once you commit to the Lexus NAV and Lexus Enform system you are stuck with it. Functionality updates will probably not be made available to older 3rd Generation RX, such as user interface changes. Instead, those would more than likely only make it into future RX model years. With a separate standalone GPS or cellphone system you can inexpensively replace the device and get all the latest features. A 7" tablet with cellular capabilities would make a better traveling companion. Otherwise, how often do you really need the system?

Of course, YMMV.
Good points but the one I believe is erroneous was your statement about upgrades; since (at least the 2013 model) the Nav is hard disc based, any upgrades should be able to be uploaded through the USB port. If it were disc based you would have more limitations but as long as you are not exceeding the data storage capability of the hard disc you should be good for functionality updates. The apps suite in Enform will be broadened over time and to be honest, most people I know would be shocked to get in a $40k+ car and not have Nav.

Many states are moving to total hands-free legislation while driving which will limit how much you can actually use your cell phone. That said, I would love to see an interface that would clone your smartphone to a 10" screen for all Nav/app/traffic functionality but the data usage would probably rival the cost of the XM traffic subscription. I don't see use for the XM Weather subscription, I can look out the windows.

Last edited by busurfer; 07-12-13 at 05:49 PM.
Old 07-12-13, 08:35 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by busurfer
Good points but the one I believe is erroneous was your statement about upgrades; since (at least the 2013 model) the Nav is hard disc based, any upgrades should be able to be uploaded through the USB port. If it were disc based you would have more limitations but as long as you are not exceeding the data storage capability of the hard disc you should be good for functionality updates. The apps suite in Enform will be broadened over time and to be honest, most people I know would be shocked to get in a $40k+ car and not have Nav.

Many states are moving to total hands-free legislation while driving which will limit how much you can actually use your cell phone. That said, I would love to see an interface that would clone your smartphone to a 10" screen for all Nav/app/traffic functionality but the data usage would probably rival the cost of the XM traffic subscription. I don't see use for the XM Weather subscription, I can look out the windows.
Yes, I know about the switch to the hard drive based NAV system. They have been available in the RX since the start of the 3rd Generation for the 2010 model year. Requires you to go to the dealer for the updates and is no longer something you can perform yourself as with the past DVD system. For the 2013 MY they started with Activation Card Numbers. You will see how that goes when you want to update your maps next year.

http://lexusnavigation.com/what_to_order.php

Still, just because they can provide non-map updates does not mean Toyota/Lexus will and changes would definitely not be made if hardware changes would be required. For example, changes in Bluetooth technology might preclude a current RX from taking advantage of new capabilities available in future Bluetooth version updates. Some features could be backwards compatible but some might not. Only time will tell.

With the abilities of current smartphones for voice commands and connectivity to our RX over existing Bluetooth versions this old man has no problems going hands-free. This should get even better over time. As for weather, it is not always the weather you can see which is of concern. Should you live in the midwest, as an example, you would be interested in positional storm information and direction in case you need to seek shelter. Same with the many storm alerts we have been getting of late here in FL. Could be sunny at the office while my property is being hit by high winds and heavy rain.

What I want as a owner is an open system and not a closed eco-system controlled by Toyota/Lexus which requires the owner to visit the dealership to make minimal changes to their vehicle. By carrying a smartphone or tablet the owner controls their ability to select from a range of hardware and software products to fit their needs and pocketbook. I do not need to use the Lexus NAVTEQ system maps if I choose not to. I can use Google's maps or maps from other vendors such as TomTom. Believe there are four vendors out there with base map info that others use such as Apple. Also, why do I want to keep paying for these connectivity services when I already have a 4G LTE contract to support my devices. My RX has a Wi-Fi hotspot wired in the hatch sharing with my data plan such that I can use it as an office or for entertainment via any device I choose when I am on the road. If I get tired with Verizon, I can always rip it out and replace it with the same from some other company.

Finally, I have been in new vehicles of late with six figure price tags which did not have GPS nor fancy NAV system. Sometimes it is more about the journey than the destination.

As this has gotten a bit off topic from the original I will end here. Should you wish to continue you can start a new thread on this topic.
Old 07-13-13, 11:32 AM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by utee05
I agree it would be hard to resell but we would never use. Wife doesn't want it either and we all know they call the shots
I agree also; the dealer WILL discount your trade even more without NAV; I would never buy new or used without factory NAV....just too chintzy looking at a little box taped to my windshield and I like the Lexus features!!! It reminds me of a stubborn person I knew years ago that ordered a Cadillac WITHOUT a/c....saved that $500, but ate $1000 when he traded and the dealer admitted they really didn't want it and would send it to the wholesale auction in hopes of some dealer buying it in a colder climate!!!
Old 07-15-13, 10:40 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dctex99
I agree also; the dealer WILL discount your trade even more without NAV; I would never buy new or used without factory NAV....just too chintzy looking at a little box taped to my windshield and I like the Lexus features!!! It reminds me of a stubborn person I knew years ago that ordered a Cadillac WITHOUT a/c....saved that $500, but ate $1000 when he traded and the dealer admitted they really didn't want it and would send it to the wholesale auction in hopes of some dealer buying it in a colder climate!!!
I agree, most people looking for luxury cars want the nav, the trade- in value will be affected without it.
Old 07-15-13, 11:18 AM
DerekK912
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tromly
I agree, most people looking for luxury cars want the nav, the trade- in value will be affected without it.
Personally, I do not care for the Nav for the same reasons the previous posters mentioned.

However, right now that is the only way to get the good backup camera display. The display in the rear-view mirror is just too small to use.
Old 07-15-13, 04:07 PM
Sh1nra
Pole Position

We got ours for $44,200 pre tax. Msrp was at $50,489.
We were in and out of the dealership in about 1.5hrs.
I got to drive it home. The ride was ALOT smoother than I thought.
Will post pictures when I get the chance. Currently it's just sitting in the garage until my dad has time to get insurance for it.

Rx350 AWD with Nav and back up camera. No HID since it wasn't worth it to me. I rather put aftermarket ones for much less.
Old 07-15-13, 04:10 PM
seanlin
Rookie

Originally Posted by Sh1nra
We got ours for $44,200 pre tax. Msrp was at $50,489.
We were in and out of the dealership in about 1.5hrs.
I got to drive it home. The ride was ALOT smoother than I thought.
Will post pictures when I get the chance. Currently it's just sitting in the garage until my dad has time to get insurance for it.

Rx350 AWD with Nav and back up camera. No HID since it wasn't worth it to me. I rather put aftermarket ones for much less.
Very nice deal. Is it include $1500 lease rebate or just straight $6200 off?
Old 07-15-13, 04:15 PM
Sh1nra
Pole Position

Originally Posted by seanlin
Very nice deal. Is it include $1500 lease rebate or just straight $6200 off?
The rebate was not included. It was straight off.
Old 07-15-13, 05:48 PM
cavedawg
Rookie

I would want the nav on a new RX. I am planning on retiring later this year and the maps, food and points of interest is what I would use the most.

Dawg

Last edited by cavedawg; 07-16-13 at 10:14 PM.
Old 07-15-13, 09:30 PM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cavedawg
I would want the nag on a new RX. I am planning on retiring later this year and the maps, food and points of interest is what I would use the most.

Dawg
I just made a trip to LA from near San Diego last Saturday; the traffic info was worth it all to me; let me know way ahead where it slowed and where I should make up time....tomorrow another rush as Comicon starts Wednesday along with Del Mar Thoroughbred Racing; so even MORE traffic......Nav with traffic is awesome!!
Old 07-15-13, 09:56 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tromly
I did a quick check at kbb.com using a 2010 RX350 AWD and there was only about $500 difference in trade-in value between a vehicle with NAV vs. without NAV in S FL. Even high demand features diminish in value over time. Was somewhere around $2500 for NAV when new.

Of course, how this is in the real world is another story.
Old 07-17-13, 01:15 PM
utee05
Driver School Candidate

If I did not end up getting nav I certainly will not be buying an external nav like the ones those attach to the windshield. Don't know why people buy those when google maps on your phones works very well and has traffic updates and turn by turn navigation. Also once connected to your vechicle you can get the notifications on your stereo.

Well regardless I doubt I will be able to find one without nav as these seem to be more in stock and I had not realized that you need this to have the backup camera option.

Thanks all for the info on this. Didn't mean to side track the discussion too much on this whole nav thing.
Old 07-17-13, 09:41 PM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Personally I have NAV, but I don't have an iphone, so no google maps; don't need a hi tech phone;just basic!

Quick Reply: Anyone get a discount on a 2013 RX??