RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

sirius/xm radio subscription

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-13, 06:49 PM
dwlink
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While I wouldn't expect subscriber prices with Sirius to decrease, the integration of apps and smartphones with cars should cause the rate at which their prices are increasing to settle somewhat.

Sirius will now have to compete with all of the internet-based radios at the expense of your cellular data plans. I haven't ever had any problems with them, but do agree that their prices have increased fairly aggressively over the past few years.

While its a bit of a misnomer, if passed, the Internet Radio Fairness Act will force Sirius (8% revs) to pay the same royalties as Pandora and other internet radio companies (16% revs). If you really enjoy Sirius, then cross your fingers that this doesn't happen or else their subscriber fees are going to be awful.
Old 06-12-13, 10:42 PM
NotHereMan
9th Gear

Originally Posted by qb14
I bought a '13 Hybrid a little over a month ago and the XM reception that I get in my RX is significantly worse than in the '11 CT that it replaced and the aftermarket XM radio in the '03 Civic Hybrid that the CT replaced. The reception in the Civic was great. There were a few spots that had signal loss every day. But very few. The reception in the CT was even better. I got lost signal loss in some of the same locations as the Civic. But not all of them. There were no new places where I would lose signal.

I get far more signal loss in the RX than I have in the past 10 years in the other two cars. Granted the additional dropouts that I get are in tree lined areas. But they are the same tree lined areas that I've driven 2 times a day, 5 days a week for the past 10 years, without getting signal loss in those areas.

Do any other RX owners who have (or previously had) XM in other cars have worse signal loss problems in the RX than they do (or did) in the other cars?

If the problem is unique to me, I'm concerned that this may have problems getting it fixed. I could easily see a repair technician just blame the signal loss on trees.
I believe that the XM antenna is in the shark fin, on our cars. What kind of antennas did your
previous cars have? I'm thinking that could be the difference...

-- Dave
Old 06-13-13, 08:28 AM
qb14
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NotHereMan
I believe that the XM antenna is in the shark fin, on our cars. What kind of antennas did your
previous cars have? I'm thinking that could be the difference...
You may be correct. But I'm not confident that the RX Shark Fin contains the XM antenna.

On the Civic, I had the standard aftermarket magnetic XM antenna right above the rear windshield. The CT has a stick antenna in the same spot as the RX Shark Fin. It has a base, similar to the Shark Fin, but has a stick coming out of it. But, I've read that the XM antenna was not part of that of that component. I know that there are aftermarket shark fin antennas for the CT. But none of them advertise that they contain XM antennas. People who have installed the aftermarket shark fins have reported no change in XM reception. So, I think that it's fair to assume that the XM antenna in the CT is not in the stick antenna.
Old 06-13-13, 08:53 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Shark Fin

The shark fin is the antenna for all of your satellite reception on the Lexus RX and other series that have it.
Originally Posted by qb14
You may be correct. But I'm not confident that the RX Shark Fin contains the XM antenna.

On the Civic, I had the standard aftermarket magnetic XM antenna right above the rear windshield. The CT has a stick antenna in the same spot as the RX Shark Fin. It has a base, similar to the Shark Fin, but has a stick coming out of it. But, I've read that the XM antenna was not part of that of that component. I know that there are aftermarket shark fin antennas for the CT. But none of them advertise that they contain XM antennas. People who have installed the aftermarket shark fins have reported no change in XM reception. So, I think that it's fair to assume that the XM antenna in the CT is not in the stick antenna.
Old 06-13-13, 09:03 AM
qb14
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Cruiter
The shark fin is the antenna for all of your satellite reception on the Lexus RX and other series that have it.
Yeah. Thanks. I just found that in one of Sewell's replacement parts diagrams and was coming back to post that. It looks like there are a lot of potential points of failure between the antenna and the radio. There are at least 3 different cord assemblies. A problem with any of them could cause reception problems.
Old 07-12-13, 11:15 AM
zmanRX350
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I called XM today to cancel. I call 1-866-635-2349. I asked to cancel as my account was scheduled to Auto-renew tomorrow at $159.39/year per radio. I told the XM agent (name was Peter) that I could afford this new price. I told him I had promotional discount last year and I need the same rate or I will cancel.

He put me on hold for several minutes and came back saying he would award last year's price expect that the U.S. Music Royalty Fee is now $10.75 which is more than $2.00 increase over last year.

So I told Peter I was still not happy with his new offer and that he should throw in Internet Radio service for free. He said he could not do that for free, but could offer internet radio at 50% off. So I said I'll take it.

Thus, each car radio I have is "XM Select 1 Year" service = $86.00 plus "U.S. Music Royalty Fee" = $10.75 for a TOTAL per radio at $96.75. Then I have Internet Radio service at $19.00.
Old 07-12-13, 11:38 AM
saz25
Rookie

Great work. I got a very similar deal the last my XM was up for renewal.

I wonder if I can try this with Lexus when my Enform subscription expires soon.
I would renew but not at the price stated.

I've always had good luck with XM on getting reductions. Now I'll try that tactic with Lexus,
Steve
Old 07-15-13, 02:15 PM
cynalan
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hiroslamme
My subscription never shut off from the time I purchased my Lexus in May 2009, as well as mom's car she purchased in 2010.
Interesting. I've been driving my RX350 for nearly 3 years now and have never paid a dime for the service. I listen to Sirius/XM at least 2 hours per day while commuting. The service never turned off after its 3 month trial nor have I received any solicitation calls, e-mails or letters. Guess I fell through the cracks. Shhhh, don't tell anyone.
Old 07-15-13, 02:39 PM
mp33er
Driver School Candidate

Just got my sub. started and one thing I've noticed is XM radio needs a lot higher volume level. I usually put regular FM at 15, but XM needs to be at least 25 or even higher - is this normal? or station specific? just tried a few stations, so far. At least, I don't lose signal...
Old 07-15-13, 03:17 PM
BertL
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mp33er
Just got my sub. started and one thing I've noticed is XM radio needs a lot higher volume level. I usually put regular FM at 15, but XM needs to be at least 25 or even higher - is this normal? or station specific? just tried a few stations, so far. At least, I don't lose signal...
Yes, I have to do the same thing.
Old 07-15-13, 03:46 PM
cavedawg
Rookie

I also have to use a higher volume with XM but since that is all I listen to it is not a problem.

Dawg
Old 07-30-13, 02:34 PM
mklemovitc
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My 6 month $25 trial rate was about to expire on 1 August so I had made myself a calendar reminder to call and cancel.

When I cited expiration of the special rate as my reason for cancelling the rep offered straight away to give me the current special rate: 5 months for $25. Adding US Music Royalty Fee and taxes makes my total $29.18. Not a bad deal for 5 more months of service.
Old 08-02-13, 07:19 PM
GoGiantsNJ
Pole Position

I like the XM channels, but I do get tired of the games to get the best deals on three cars with it. I always get the excellent"cancelling now" rates.

Luckily my Daughter has 6 million songs on her i-pod, so I won't renew her car's XM next year.
Old 08-03-13, 05:38 PM
RONCO
Driver School Candidate

Still free on the wifes RX
I can't complain about the price!
Old 08-03-13, 09:12 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GoGiantsNJ
I like the XM channels, but I do get tired of the games to get the best deals on three cars with it. I always get the excellent"cancelling now" rates.

Luckily my Daughter has 6 million songs on her i-pod, so I won't renew her car's XM next year.
XM can put all of your cars on the same timetable so you renew them all as a single transaction each year. The next time a subscription comes up negotiate your low rate, then have them extend that to the other vehicles and realign all of the renewal dates.

Quick Reply: sirius/xm radio subscription