RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

sirius/xm radio subscription

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-12, 06:28 AM
bam
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default sirius/xm radio subscription

As some of you know, we recently bought a 2012 rx450h and the 3 month free sirius/xm trial period is coming to an end next month. We received a renewal notice in the mail and the renewal prices are extremely expensive. I went online to see if I could find a lifetime subscription option and I couldn't find one online. We have two other cars and I purchased the lifetime subscription on those cars for way less than the optons that were given to us for the rx450h. I thought maybe they just didn't list the lifetime option on the website so I called sirius/xm and asked them about it and apparently they discontinued the lifetime option in January so now if I want to continue my subscription, the fartherest out I can extend is 3 years and that is even way more than I paid for my lifetime subscription on my other two cars. Dang that sucks. I might have to do without sirius/xm. Frankly, my wife doesn't even listen to it as she likes the local channels more but it would be nice to have but not at their prices. Oh well.

Also, we decided to def not get the weather package because that is a total waste of money and the traffic package was interesting but in the few months that we've had it for free, it hasn't been as accurate as I would have hoped or thought it would have been. We live in SoCal so it's not like we're in some remote area. We're in a major city so I'm a little dissapointted that the traffic isn't as accurate as I would have liked.
Old 05-24-12, 06:42 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

I'm not sure what Sirius/XM is doing these days, but in the past when you call to cancel your service and tell them at that cost it's not a value to you, They'll come up with better pricing.

If you do a search on the topic you can see what some others have received. My current subscription runs thru September and it was $77 for the year, radio only, no traffic or weather.
Old 05-24-12, 07:27 AM
bam
Lead Lap

Yes, the customer service representative did try to get my business by giving me a lower price. He said he could offer me a multi-car discount which I know is part of their sales tactic. I wasn't really interested because the discounted price was still way more than what I paid for a lifetime subscription. Also, it seems that they now give you a quoted price and also add on some other music fee. I'm guessing it's some kind of royalty fee to the music labels.
Old 05-24-12, 08:41 AM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I find it to be just another distraction in the Chicaigo area. The FM signals are much stronger than satelite. It is a pain having to adjust the volume every time I channel surf. I'm in my first 3 months also and haven't even hooked the IPOD up yet, which I plan to do as soon as my subscription expires. I will miss the comedy channels though.
Old 05-24-12, 10:16 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Richard
If you can't get them to cooperate and your RX is going to be your main driver, you can switch one of your lifetime contracts to the new car. Just tell them you sold the other one. I was quoted switch from car to car without a fee as long as over three years per car on my lifetime contract. More than one way to skin a cat
Originally Posted by bam
Yes, the customer service representative did try to get my business by giving me a lower price. He said he could offer me a multi-car discount which I know is part of their sales tactic. I wasn't really interested because the discounted price was still way more than what I paid for a lifetime subscription. Also, it seems that they now give you a quoted price and also add on some other music fee. I'm guessing it's some kind of royalty fee to the music labels.

Last edited by Cruiter; 05-24-12 at 10:17 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-24-12, 10:53 AM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are willing to wait until it expires you can get it at half the offered price they sent you. I told the opperator that I did not use it except in the summer to go to the lake. Then I waited and every letter they sent me was lower than the one before. I ended up renewing for $84 for the year. Thats a long way from the 190 they wanted originally.

You can also call them up and say you got a coupon that said you could renew for $85 and social engineer them into giving it to you for that.
Old 05-24-12, 07:04 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Every time I fill out a Lexus survey, I wish there was a blank I could tell them i think XM-Sirius has a business model not worthy of Lexus. I don't like all this behind the back negotiating. If you don't know about, you end up paying too much.

I bought lifetime over the phone and was never told I couldn't transfer it to a new car. However, if I paid an additional fee they would transfer it. I paid the fee and monthly for next three months my service was terminated. Each time involved an hour long call to get it back. Each incident I documented the date, time and to whom I spoke and requested a service ticket number for each incident. Each time I was told my case was moved up the corporate ladder and they would call me. Nope...never called. Granted, I have spoken to some of the finest service representatives, although each time they involved technicians. So I can't complain about the phone calls, just rant about the various pricing structures you folks have mentioned.

If you ever have to deal with Lexus Enform, you will immediately know the difference. Lexus is miles above XM in responsiveness, professionalism and consistent pricing.

Last edited by DunWkg; 05-24-12 at 07:08 PM.
Old 05-24-12, 07:46 PM
JellyBean
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I hate XM-Sirius' business tactics and refuse to do business with them. My trial subscription ended in February and they're still calling me every other day. Good thing I blocked them from Google Voice. Agreed that Lexus should do better than that company. They're a royal PIA to terminate service with. Never again. Hate them. (And yes, it was that bad )

JB
Old 05-24-12, 10:51 PM
MC5Wes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Xm

You guys are correct. Sirius XM is the worst customer service I've ever had.

I think Lexus should dump them and go with the other satellite radio service.
Old 05-25-12, 05:41 AM
Paul B
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for reminding me. I just dumped my SiriusXM subscription service. I was paying quarterly and it was way too much. They did offer me an annual contract of $93.00 including all the taxes but they wanted to force me into an automatic renewal, which I won't do.
Old 05-25-12, 06:50 AM
bam
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MC5Wes

That's part of the problem. There is no other satellite radio service. Siriius and XM merged not too long ago and so they're now one. Their explanation to the regulators in how their merging wouldn't create a monopoly is that their competition is regular radio, ipod, cd, etc and not necessarily "other" satellite radio services (because there is no other sat radio services).

I like having the sat radio but for the prices that they're charging, it's just way too high. They need to bring back the lifetime option. I can undertand that they need a succesful business plan without the lifetime option but I do believe that they can still come out on top with some kind of lifetime option. Considering that most people get rid of their cars in 4 or 5 years, I can see them creating a pricing plan where a lifetime option could still work out for them but also work out for those people that actually keep their cars for a longer time period.

Basically, at this point, they can either offer a lifetime option at a higher cost but still being reasonable and earn my business or continue on their current tactic and not have any of my business. It seems that they're going for the most profit per customer model vs. a reduced profit per customer model but gaining a larger audience. In essence, it appears to be a small cusotmer base with high margins vs a large customer base with small margins.

The way I see it, it's kinda like how some cars dealers will nickel and dime you for a very little discount expecting that they'll sell low volume but be more profitable on each sale, whereas other car dealers will go the opposite and sell super high volume but make a minimal margin on each sale. In my opinion, in all business cases that follow the high volume, low margin belief, they always seem to come out on top.
Old 05-25-12, 06:50 AM
mklemovitc
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MC5Wes

You're jesting, right? The "other satellite radio service" is XM Sirius.

The Federal Trade Commission dropped the ball when they allowed that merger. The combined company still isn't profitable and the combined customer service has the worst of both separate companies.
Old 05-25-12, 07:51 AM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

They keep turning mine back on for trial periods to entice me back. Basically I think the quality sucks. It sounds like I am listening to an AM radio. I just throw away the cards when they come.With todays technology you would think they would have better quality. I don't see them lasting too much longer.
Old 05-25-12, 07:21 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I enjoy having the service in my cars. If I remember to call and get a discount, that is great. If I forget on a car and it gets renewed at $160, it is not that big of deal. I wish them well and hope the service continues to develop.
Old 05-25-12, 08:02 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Default How to get better customer service

If you can't get what you could say is reasonable customer service, then go on Facebook in mass. Just be factual and to the point with out getting emotionally angry. That will get to them in time, it's like printing an "I'm not satisfied because..." on the front page of your big city news paper only it costs you nothing. Go on their site and hit the face book icon with your comments. It's bad press and they will jump through hoops if it turns out to be viral. Just keep it respectful so it has legitimacy. Doing it right ensures the customer wins.

Quick Reply: sirius/xm radio subscription