RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

A piece I do not know it comes from!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-12 | 12:36 PM
Alpy64
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default A piece I do not know it comes from!

Hi All,
I 've gotten my car last Friday after the 45'000km service including a total cleaning of the leather seats and exterior cleaning and polishing.
Last Sunday (yesterday) I drove the car for about 450kms without any problem but a real pleasure as usual.
After a car wash today when wiping the car and particularly wiping of the right side-view mirror I have discovered this little metal piece (see pics attached).

The piece was found almost like this (after I've pulled it a little bit with my nail)

Another view

and anoother one

Do you know this?
It was found behind the mirror of the side not fixed.
I removed it carefully and my mirror works perfectly, no noise, lights, etc.

I will send the pics to the Lexus car dealer tomorrow and will ask for explanations.

In addition, to this I've noticed that my removable trailer ball (which was placed in the trunk against the spare wheel below the plate covering spare wheel) was not in the trunk anymore certainly because they have removed it for accessing some areas and forgot to replace it.

Last edited by Alpy64; 05-28-12 at 01:04 PM.
Old 05-28-12 | 01:09 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 173 Likes on 147 Posts

I think that might be one side of the clips that holds the mirror in place. There were four pieces that looked like that if I remember correctly, two side by side on either side of the mirror. You might try carefully moving the mirror from different angles with your fingers to see if it's loose. Or remove the mirror completely by tilting the mirror up so you can put your fingers under the bottom and then pulling it out. Unfortunately I don't have a picture of the back of the mirror to explain it better. I'd bring it to the dealer to check. Maybe someone knocked into the mirror strong enough to break it during the exterior cleaning.
Old 05-28-12 | 01:24 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

OK, found a picture in JDKane's instructions for changing out the puddle lamps. Does the piece look like the ones in the picture?
Attached Thumbnails A piece I do not know it comes from!-2063469970099908742s600x600q85.jpg  
Old 05-28-12 | 05:53 PM
svofan1
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

God!!!! ..you guys really know your cars..specially you Anita...if I am not wrong that is the piece, it looks like the one in the pics that you researched.....
Old 05-28-12 | 06:46 PM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Pop off the mirror and reinstall it. If I remember properly it is a guide for the sensor to tell where the mirror is in its shell.

To get the mirror off, put your fingers around the out side edges and gently pull the mirror out. It sits on 4 plastic rods with ***** on the end that go in the holes in the white disc on the picture above. While your at it, change out the bulb to an LED
Old 05-30-12 | 10:19 AM
Alpy64
Pole Position

Hi All !
... and many thanks for this input and it is the small piece I have pictured above... apparently you know this better than the car dealer I called on Tuesday a.m. because he told me that he did not know from where that small metal part comes from (unbelievable!)
Thanks I do will try to remove the mirror as you indicated and will keep you informed (with pics to feed the forum with info)... unless I have the chance to visit the car dealer but little chance (70kms away from home).
Old 05-30-12 | 10:32 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Alpy, good luck removing the mirror. It's not that hard. I hope you can slip that piece back into place. Otherwise the dealer may owe you a new mirror.
Old 05-31-12 | 10:11 PM
Alpy64
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kitlz
Alpy, good luck removing the mirror. It's not that hard. I hope you can slip that piece back into place. Otherwise the dealer may owe you a new mirror.
I cross fingers! and hope this will be not so hard !

Thnaks for your cooperation again!
Alain
Old 06-01-12 | 03:06 AM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

It really is not that bad. I changed my puddle light bulbs to LED ones (you should make use of this time to do yours) while in the parking lot of a hockey rink in the middle of November at just above freezing. I had to remove both mirrors and undo 4 screws on each one and install bulbs and it took me just under 15 minutes to do both with no bad repurcussions. It is psycologically stressing the first time you pull out the mirror but if you spread out your fingers on the outside edges and pull out while wiggling it you will be fine.
Old 06-01-12 | 12:15 PM
Alpy64
Pole Position

Originally Posted by InRBigness
It really is not that bad. I changed my puddle light bulbs to LED ones (you should make use of this time to do yours) while in the parking lot of a hockey rink in the middle of November at just above freezing. I had to remove both mirrors and undo 4 screws on each one and install bulbs and it took me just under 15 minutes to do both with no bad repurcussions. It is psycologically stressing the first time you pull out the mirror but if you spread out your fingers on the outside edges and pull out while wiggling it you will be fine.
good experience return !

Will try...