RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Same Distortion on 4 different windshields

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-12 | 10:31 PM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry guy can not find it on my 2011 450h .It must be in the Glass on the Canadian build 350's
Old 06-01-12 | 10:50 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Weird...

I can confirm though that Pilkington does not make the glass for Japan build Lexus vehicles. The glass on every Lexus I've ever had has been made by Ashi glass corp.
Old 06-07-12 | 03:34 PM
krypttic
Pole Position

I went back to the dealer today and met with service techs and a rep from the factory. Here is what I found:

- Some people could see the distortion (to different degrees), while some could not see anything at all and thought I had mental problems.

- All the Canadian built models I saw (from 2010 to 2013) have Pilkington glass and I noticed distortion in the same spot on every one of them, some worse than others.

- All the Japanese built models have "Nippon Lamipane" glass and I didn't notice distortion in any of them.

The dealer and factory rep are going to verify that the two glasses are the same (acoustic dampening, size, etc.) and if so, just replace my Pilkington glass with Nippon glass from another vehicle on the lot. I would rather not break the seal on a brand new windshield, but I guess I don't have a choice...

BTW, I've found that the "best" way to see this distortion is to go out in the late afternoon (when the sun is lower in the sky) and point the vehicle north). Look near the bottom left corner of the windshield near the A Pillar at a fixed object about 75 feet away and move your line of sight up/down and left/right. To me, it's very noticeable.
Old 06-07-12 | 03:51 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

krypttic, I didn't think you have mental problems. I just couldn't see it, really I can't read the glass in that corner because of the state inspection sticker. I'll take your word I have Nippon Lamipane since my RX was from Japan. Thanks for the info.

You know Cruiter had his windshield changed out early on due to cracks and hasn't had any problems. But you might not want to change yours since it's so new. Can you put something there to keep your eyes from looking at that spot? How bad is it on a scale of 1 to 10?
Old 06-07-12 | 03:59 PM
cafpaf
Pole Position

krypttic, based on your statement, "BTW, I've found that the "best" way to see this distortion is to go out in the late afternoon (when the sun is lower in the sky) and point the vehicle north). Look near the bottom left corner of the windshield near the A Pillar at a fixed object about 75 feet away and move your line of sight up/down and left/right. To me, it's very noticeable." personally I just would not bother. However, as you say, to you it is very noticeable so I hope the swap works out well for you.
Old 06-07-12 | 04:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by krypttic
The dealer and factory rep are going to verify that the two glasses are the same (acoustic dampening, size, etc.) and if so, just replace my Pilkington glass with Nippon glass from another vehicle on the lot. I would rather not break the seal on a brand new windshield, but I guess I don't have a choice...
You don't want them to remove the windshield from another vehicle and put it on your vehicle. You want a NEW windshield. They can't scrape all the gasket and sealant off a windshield thats been already installed, and install it on yours and be sure its going to hold properly and be water and air tight.

Its ridiculous for them to even suggest such a thing...
Old 06-07-12 | 04:08 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

I wouldn't swap the windshield, not worth it.
Old 06-07-12 | 04:09 PM
krypttic
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SW10ES
You don't want them to remove the windshield from another vehicle and put it on your vehicle. You want a NEW windshield. They can't scrape all the gasket and sealant off a windshield thats been already installed, and install it on yours and be sure its going to hold properly and be water and air tight.

I think this is the only way for me to see an installed piece of glass to check for defects before it's put-on my car. Is this really a big issue?
Old 06-07-12 | 04:19 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Ron, like Anita said, mine was replaced at about 6 months due to a stress crack from top to bottom center. I've not heard of another but FYI, they did an excellent job. No leaks, No wind noise, all electronic mirrors and such placed back as before. And no distortion ( I did check). The dealer actually ordered the glass and had the local glass company that did it for a business do the swap at the dealership so the techs could watch and make sure the electronic stuff was working properly. So if they're offering I'd say take a chance.
I think this is the only way for me to see an installed piece of glass to check for defects before it's put-on my car. Is this really a big issue?
Old 06-07-12 | 04:27 PM
krypttic
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Ron, like Anita said, mine was replaced at about 6 months due to a stress crack from top to bottom center. I've not heard of another but FYI, they did an excellent job. No leaks, No wind noise, all electronic mirrors and such placed back as before. And no distortion ( I did check). The dealer actually ordered the glass and had the local glass company that did it for a business do the swap at the dealership so the techs could watch and make sure the electronic stuff was working properly. So if they're offering I'd say take a chance.
You have a 450, right? Does that mean you have Japanese glass? Would you have any concern taking the windshield from another new vehicle on the lot instead of ordering a brand new one? A few posts above, somebody mentioned not to do this because of gasket residue, etc.

I'm just worried that they'll order me a new windshield and it will also have problems. Whereas if I took the one from another vehicle, I can inspect it beforehand.
Old 06-07-12 | 05:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

HUGE issue. I would consider a "used" windshield a safety risk, windshields are installed with an epoxy glue, you're basically ungluing something and regluing it. No way I'd accept a car that had been done to, and the dealer is irresponsible for suggesting it IMHO.

Ask them to order a replacement, and inspect it beforehand. You're just asking for noise, leaks, and worse the glass failing in an accident by letting them do something so stupid. A small distortion is not worth that.
Old 06-07-12 | 05:30 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

You can choose from A or B. (A) live with what you have, (B) let them order you a new w/s. Do not even consider one from another car, once it's mounted it's used and you'd probably have issues with left over residue. Sorry to put it this way but you're gonna have to figure this one out and make your own decision rather than let one of us in cyber land make it for you. If you want ask the dealer 'What would HE do'? It's not something they've done for the 1st time, it's a routine procedure if that helps. Lot's of reasons windshields break and they have to be replaced so ......
You have a 450, right? Does that mean you have Japanese glass? Would you have any concern taking the windshield from another new vehicle on the lot instead of ordering a brand new one? A few posts above, somebody mentioned not to do this because of gasket residue, etc.

I'm just worried that they'll order me a new windshield and it will also have problems. Whereas if I took the one from another vehicle, I can inspect it beforehand.
Old 06-07-12 | 05:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah I wouldn't be worried about the replacement. I just had the windshield in my ES replaced with OEM Lexus glass at Lexus of Alexandria and the result was terrific. No noise, no leaks, no damage. My concern is the used windshield. Just not safe.

Its not like a bumper they can just remove from one car and re-atach to yours. The windshield is a structural component of the vehicle, it is epoxied in place, and windshields aren't meant to be re-used.

Thats what I would tell them, you can't accept the distortion on a new $50k vehicle, and you can't accept a used windshield either. You want a new OEM Lexus windshield, nothing less because you're concerned about the vehicle's safety re-installing a used windshield.
Old 06-18-12 | 04:40 PM
krypttic
Pole Position

OK, I'm going to have the windshield replaced. According to the regional rep, there is no way to get Nippon Lamipane glass (what is on the Japanese builds) and all replacement windshields in North America will be Pilkington (what comes on the Canadian builds). I'm worried, since I've seen distortion in many of the Pilkington windshields; but I'll have a chance to inspect the replacement before installation to check for defects/distortion.

Another problem is that the dealer won't do the installation. They use a company that damaged my vehicle last year during a windshield replacement (stained headliner, broken visor clips, loose mirror, etc.). I complained (who wouldn't) and now they don't want to touch another one of my vehicles.

Can anyone in the Phoenix, AZ area recommend a glass installer? The dealer is providing the Lexus glass and paying for the installation.

Last edited by krypttic; 06-18-12 at 04:44 PM.
Old 06-20-12 | 06:54 AM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

I'm sorry, but I find this statement as ridiculous as saying that sanding and repainting a body panel is impossible because the paint will never stick. People reinstall glass all the time with zero problems. When you're restoring a car, you're pretty much limited to reinstalling factory glass. Aftermarket glass comes with all manner of fitment problems. Beneath the sealant is the original glass. Any company with a modicum of pride in their work will make sure to clean and prep the glass perfectly.

Yeah I wouldn't be worried about the replacement. I just had the windshield in my ES replaced with OEM Lexus glass at Lexus of Alexandria and the result was terrific. No noise, no leaks, no damage. My concern is the used windshield. Just not safe.

Its not like a bumper they can just remove from one car and re-atach to yours. The windshield is a structural component of the vehicle, it is epoxied in place, and windshields aren't meant to be re-used.

Thats what I would tell them, you can't accept the distortion on a new $50k vehicle, and you can't accept a used windshield either. You want a new OEM Lexus windshield, nothing less because you're concerned about the vehicle's safety re-installing a used windshield.
Structural? So when people have their cars painted and they pull all the glass out, the windshields should just be thrown away? Should probably throw away this subframe too.

Yes, the windshield provides rigidity to the roof section. However, removing a windshield from a car in no way compromises it. A used windshield off of a brand new dealer lot car is no less strong than the windshield on your car when you picked it up. And it will be stronger than a windshield that has been repaired by Safelite. The idea that an undamaged windshield, once removed from a car, is completely useless is absurd.

Last edited by GrandSedanFan; 06-20-12 at 07:17 AM.

Quick Reply: Same Distortion on 4 different windshields