RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Same Distortion on 4 different windshields

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-12, 11:07 AM
krypttic
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I'm still more comfortable with a new windshield for the following reasons:

- i doubt the installer would be meticulous enough to get all the old adhesive off the glass. This could result in a loose seal when reinstalled.

- I think yanking on the glass to get it removed can compromise its structural integrity (pressure points and micro fractures may develop that are not immediately noticeable). Removal and reinstallation of the rear view mirror can also be compromised by re-applpying adhesive.

- The "new" windshields on the dealer lot all have significant water spots (this is cosmetic only, and can be remedied with the right chemicals, but it is annoying).

Granted, some (or all) of the above issues can be alleviated by choosing the right installer, but I think starting with a new piece of glass gives a much better chance of avoiding problems. Unfortunately, all the new pieces of glass are Canadian (Pilkington) so I hope the new one isn't as distorted as the one I already have.
Old 06-20-12, 12:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by panyo64
I'm sorry, but I find this statement as ridiculous as saying that sanding and repainting a body panel is impossible because the paint will never stick. People reinstall glass all the time with zero problems. When you're restoring a car, you're pretty much limited to reinstalling factory glass. Aftermarket glass comes with all manner of fitment problems. Beneath the sealant is the original glass. Any company with a modicum of pride in their work will make sure to clean and prep the glass perfectly.
Just google "Used Windshield AND Safe" and read. For one, its difficult to remove a modern windshield without damaging it in the first place. Two, when you restore a vehicle you don't have airbags. The passenger airbag uses the windshield to ensure it deploys properly.

Structural? So when people have their cars painted and they pull all the glass out, the windshields should just be thrown away? Should probably throw away this subframe too.
Google "Windshield AND vehicle structure" and read. The windshield is absolutely a structural component of a unibody vehicle.

Its up to you, but I would never install a used windshield on a vehicle I or my family would be driving or riding in, and a solution to a factory defect is not taking a windshield off of another vehicle on a lot and installing the defective windshield back onto another vehicle and selling it as new. THAT is absurd.

I don't think asking for a NEW OEM windshield for a $55,000 vehicle when the original has a factory defect is "absurd"

Last edited by SW17LS; 06-20-12 at 12:22 PM.
Old 06-21-12, 05:03 AM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 221 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by SW10ES
Just google "Used Windshield AND Safe" and read. For one, its difficult to remove a modern windshield without damaging it in the first place. Two, when you restore a vehicle you don't have airbags. The passenger airbag uses the windshield to ensure it deploys properly.

Google "Windshield AND vehicle structure" and read. The windshield is absolutely a structural component of a unibody vehicle.

Its up to you, but I would never install a used windshield on a vehicle I or my family would be driving or riding in, and a solution to a factory defect is not taking a windshield off of another vehicle on a lot and installing the defective windshield back onto another vehicle and selling it as new. THAT is absurd.

I don't think asking for a NEW OEM windshield for a $55,000 vehicle when the original has a factory defect is "absurd"
A windshield swap is the only way the OP would get the Japanese glass that he finds superior to his apparently defective Pilkington glass. The defect is a distortion out of the line of sight which apparently quite a few people have never noticed or cared much about.

Passenger airbags are designed to bounce off the windshield. The issue with ANY windshield installation is that if you get into an accident, the force of the airbag may push the windshield out because the epoxy hasn't cured, not because a used windshield is somehow structurally compromised.

And yes, the windshield fills in the void between the A-pillars, giving rigidity to the upper half of the car. But are you really arguing that because of this, a 27 mile windshield is so fatigued as to be unsafe? Exactly how much can safety glass fatigue before it cracks? Again, the safety issue in a rollover with a used windshield is the exact same as the issue with a brand new one. It's not the integrity of the windshield itself, it's the quality of the installation.

I would never install a junkyard windshield on a new car. However, a windshield off a brand new, unsold car has poses none of those concerns.

Last edited by GrandSedanFan; 06-21-12 at 05:18 AM.
Old 06-21-12, 07:30 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by panyo64
A windshield swap is the only way the OP would get the Japanese glass that he finds superior to his apparently defective Pilkington glass. The defect is a distortion out of the line of sight which apparently quite a few people have never noticed or cared much about.
Its not the only way. You can specify which windshield by part number when you order the part. I just purchased an OEM Lexus windshield for my car, the options are right there in the system. I'm sure the Pilkington and Ashi or Nippon glass options have different part numbers.

Passenger airbags are designed to bounce off the windshield. The issue with ANY windshield installation is that if you get into an accident, the force of the airbag may push the windshield out because the epoxy hasn't cured, not because a used windshield is somehow structurally compromised.
My issue is with the bonding surface of the windshield. You could never be sure the original adhesive was completely removed, and with the surface being scored and abraded by scraping it off you're just not going to have a factory seal.

"Probably fine" isn't enough for my family's safety.

And yes, the windshield fills in the void between the A-pillars, giving rigidity to the upper half of the car. But are you really arguing that because of this, a 27 mile windshield is so fatigued as to be unsafe? Exactly how much can safety glass fatigue before it cracks? Again, the safety issue in a rollover with a used windshield is the exact same as the issue with a brand new one. It's not the integrity of the windshield itself, it's the quality of the installation.
The 27 miles haven't fatigued the windshield, but prying it up off of one car just might have.

Again, I'm just not going to play games with my family's safety. If it was a side window or a bumper or something that would be one thing, but the windshield is too important a component to the vehicle to be prying one off of another car, scraping the adhesive off, and re-adhering it to the vehicle my family would be riding in. I'd rather just leave the original windshield in.

Aside from the safety concerns, a brand new $50k vehicle he should get a NEW windshield, not one pryed off another car. Bottom line.

Last edited by SW17LS; 06-21-12 at 07:33 AM.
Old 06-21-12, 08:04 AM
TexasRxh
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you assume both sides of this issue have technically justifiable approaches then you are down to personal choice. My personal preference would be to have them order a NEW windshield. But I'm not the one who has to "live" with the result.
Old 06-21-12, 10:06 AM
cafpaf
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Am I missing something? I understand that the distortion is a major issue for the OP. However, I do not understand all of the discussion regarding replacing it with either one that has already been installed or one that is new. Again the distortion not being a factor, I am sure that windshields are replaced thousands of times every day without any problem. Sealant is removed, applied, cleaned, etc. all without issue. What am I missing? Are me making a mountian our of a mole hill?
Old 06-21-12, 12:05 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Windshields are replaced all the time with no problems, but it is unusual for a USED windshield to be installed on another vehicle.
Old 06-21-12, 01:19 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 221 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by SW10ES
Its not the only way. You can specify which windshield by part number when you order the part. I just purchased an OEM Lexus windshield for my car, the options are right there in the system. I'm sure the Pilkington and Ashi or Nippon glass options have different part numbers.
I actually agree on your preference for new glass, just because it's new. But I don't have any distortion in my windshield. However....

Originally Posted by krypttic
OK, I'm going to have the windshield replaced. According to the regional rep, there is no way to get Nippon Lamipane glass (what is on the Japanese builds) and all replacement windshields in North America will be Pilkington (what comes on the Canadian builds).

Last edited by GrandSedanFan; 06-21-12 at 01:24 PM.
Old 06-21-12, 02:39 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Default All pertinent views and then some have been made

Everyone's point has been made, some multiple times. It appears there has to be a last word, so... Care to guess ???

Thread closed!

This is the best BB there is on cars. And most of us would agree our RX is a very good place to chat, exchange views, photos, etc but we need to keep it good or it can unravel fast. Just saying ....
Note: If there is any disagreement I'm always available on PM

Last edited by Cruiter; 06-21-12 at 02:42 PM. Reason: spelling