RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

free alignment

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-12, 06:59 PM
bam
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default free alignment

I thought I read somewhere that all new Lexus vehicles have a certain number of miles for a free first alignment but I can't seem to find where I read this. I checked the manuals but obviously I'm reading too fast or didn't actually see it in the first place. Can someone verify if this is actually true and if so how many miles/months you have to request your free first alignment?
Old 06-05-12, 07:43 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

One year or 15K which every comes first. You do have to have a complaint though, stating it is pulling or your tires are wearing. They won't do it just because you want one. I had it done and told them it was pulling, it wasn't, but they did make a few adjustments to the front and rear end.
Old 06-05-12, 07:46 PM
bam
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MEP7557
One year or 15K which every comes first. You do have to have a complaint though, stating it is pulling or your tires are wearing. They won't do it just because you want one. I had it done and told them it was pulling, it wasn't, but they did make a few adjustments to the front and rear end.
Wow. One year or 15k miles. That seems quite generous but I'll take it. Do you recall where you saw or read this as I couldn't find it in the manual?
Old 06-05-12, 10:30 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Not just Lexus but other makers provide this too. I thought it was 1 year or 12k miles.
Old 06-05-12, 10:49 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

It's in the warranty info, they don't like to advertise it to much.
Old 06-06-12, 02:08 AM
BertL
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

OP: As MEP suggests, look at your Warranty and Services Guide that is part of the 3" of manuals in your glove box or online at Lexus.com via "My Lexus". For my (future) 2013 RX450h, the warranty manual indicates on page 18 under Basic Warranty "...wheel alignment and wheel balancing, which are covered for 12 months or 20,000 miles, whichever occurs first".
Old 06-06-12, 06:55 AM
bam
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BertL
OP: As MEP suggests, look at your Warranty and Services Guide that is part of the 3" of manuals in your glove box or online at Lexus.com via "My Lexus". For my (future) 2013 RX450h, the warranty manual indicates on page 18 under Basic Warranty "...wheel alignment and wheel balancing, which are covered for 12 months or 20,000 miles, whichever occurs first".
Thanks for the specific page reference. I was able to find it and mine is also covered for 12 months or 20k miles. I must say that is quite generous of Lexus to cover it for so long. Nice to know that wheel balancing is covered too.
Old 06-06-12, 07:16 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

thanks for this thread. which is quite timely, i still have 2 months before the free alignment expires.
Old 06-06-12, 07:43 AM
Paul B
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My personal view, and it is just mine, is that if you are not having an issue with excessive tire wear or the car pulling to one side is to accept the alignment that was done during the assembly process and not ask for trouble. By asking the dealer to realign the car just for the sake of taking advantage of its availability can introduce the possibility of the technician messing up what was fine to begin with.

I guess I trust Lexus to set it up right more than I do a dealer service tech, who may or may not have the skill and experience necessary.
Old 06-06-12, 08:47 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 170 Likes on 144 Posts

Well, I took advantage of the free alignment and my RX was no worse for the wear. Only slight adjustments were made. I would have done it anyway because I get an alignment every year after winter.
Old 06-06-12, 11:59 AM
kwbuggy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just be careful how you ask for it, I was said that I thought it might be off. The service advisor was smart, she asked why I thought that and I foolishly said "I think I must have hit a pothole". End result: I paid for the alignment!
Old 06-06-12, 01:16 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 170 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by kwbuggy
Just be careful how you ask for it, I was said that I thought it might be off. The service advisor was smart, she asked why I thought that and I foolishly said "I think I must have hit a pothole". End result: I paid for the alignment!
Ouch! My service manager knew how to write it up to have it covered under warranty. All you have to say is the alignment feels off, no explanation necessary.
Old 06-06-12, 07:29 PM
2011RX350
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

how does this warranty differ on a late model CPO RX bought at 12k miles?
Old 06-07-12, 04:54 AM
BertL
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Original warranty transfers to a new owner. In this case, the original date the vehicle was placed into service, not your purchase date of the used vehicle, would start the 12-month clock being discussed here for the basic warranty. I didn't see any reference in the standard warranty to something being different with CPO when I read the terms myself, but you may want to take a look yourself to be sure.

I found on Lexus.com that alignment is initially checked as part of certification. The actual terms for CPO are here. I'll let you do your own interpretation of those additional terms that apply in your situation, but I personally don't see how CPO would extend the original warranty related to alignment, when CPO has exclusions such as "standard upkeep items" and general "wear and tear". Alignment in my mind is really a maintenance item, and Lexus has broad enough examples in those terms they could take the same position I suppose. Anyway, that's my view for what that's worth or not, and it could be further debated.

I have only purchased new, never CPO, so am not familiar with any additional terms beyond what I see on the web that somehow may have been added as part of your deal. My take though remains -- if the vehicle was originally placed into service more than 12 months ago, you're out of luck with the possibility of a free alignment as part of the original basic warranty. I suggest though, you should check with your SA if you think you've got a case for one -- you never know what may happen in the name of Customer Satisfaction, and it can't hurt to ask.

Last edited by BertL; 06-07-12 at 06:52 AM. Reason: Added CPO link and personal interpretation of those terms
Old 06-07-12, 08:37 AM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Well, I was close on the mileage. My RX is 2 years old now and I still don't have 15k on it. It is true about leaving the factory settings alone, sometimes the steering wheel ends up not so straight. That is a pet-peeve of mine.

Quick Reply: free alignment