RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2012 RX350 and check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-12, 06:51 AM
ibrady
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 RX350 and check engine light

Just got my 2012 RX350 2 weeks ago and the check engine light comes on. Turns out the dealer thinks a mouse got to a wire (in a harness) in my garage. They soldered the wire instead of replacing the very expensive part. Called Lexus Customer Service and no help there. I would have expected Lexus to replace the damaged part. After all, how likely is it that the damage was caused in my garage rather than their lot where the car sat for months. Not happy.
Old 06-22-12, 11:41 AM
rx11fan
Rookie

Originally Posted by ibrady
Just got my 2012 RX350 2 weeks ago and the check engine light comes on. Turns out the dealer thinks a mouse got to a wire (in a harness) in my garage. They soldered the wire instead of replacing the very expensive part. Called Lexus Customer Service and no help there. I would have expected Lexus to replace the damaged part. After all, how likely is it that the damage was caused in my garage rather than their lot where the car sat for months. Not happy.
Did they tell you which harness? Is it the main engine harness? It runs about $2500 I think. Check my old thread, where I complained about leaving hundreds of the wires in harness exposed.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...nger-side.html
Old 06-22-12, 12:41 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

A few years ago, my daughter and I drove her ES down to my parents home in AZ. A desert rodent chewed through a wire or two in her car. We didn't know that, it just started running poorly. The repair was not a warranty item and was very expensive at the Lexus dealership just to basically patch the wires back together. If they fixed your car for free, consider yourself lucky. Some of the wiring harnesses are so extensive that replacing them, may cause more problems than just fixing the wires.

In terms of how likely is it that the damage occurred in your garage, I'd say it is a possibility. I had a wiring harness damaged in my SC in my garage.
Old 06-22-12, 01:04 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

I'd say it's very likely it happened in your garage. I wouldn't expect them to cover that under warranty. Rodents are a pain, they can do a lot of damage very quickly. I suggest you set up some mouse traps in your garage.
Old 06-22-12, 01:48 PM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree; rodents don't seem to bother new cars, but a lot of different smells in an engine that has driven all over including weeds which would attract them!! Be thanksful it was free; I would NOT want anyone replacing a whole bunch of wires on any car; on the assembly line they do it and verify all is correct!
Old 06-25-12, 07:06 PM
m1964
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by UCSB
... If they fixed your car for free, consider yourself lucky. Some of the wiring harnesses are so extensive that replacing them, may cause more problems than just fixing the wires.
I agree-replacing harness requires removal of many things,and dealer may not put those back together as good as assembly line did. If they soldered the wires, the connection should outlast the RX
Old 06-25-12, 08:09 PM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by hypervish
I'd say it's very likely it happened in your garage. I wouldn't expect them to cover that under warranty. Rodents are a pain, they can do a lot of damage very quickly. I suggest you set up some mouse traps in your garage.
Your automobile insurance might cover the repair subject to your comprehensive deductible.
Old 06-27-12, 06:39 PM
ibrady
Driver School Candidate

Thanks all for the feedback. We've decided to be satisfied with the dealer fix as replacing the part, as several indicated, could be more invasive than the fix.