RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2011 RX350 Master Cylinder Failure

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-12, 01:57 PM
SSTTIM
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 RX350 Master Cylinder Failure

Just had my master cylinder fail. Seeing lots of chat about earlier models being recalled, but nothing yet for the 2011. Any others out there been hit by this one?
Old 06-28-12, 07:18 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

1st one I've heard of on the Gen III's. But that's why we have warranties. They should take good care of you at the dealer. If over 30k, I hope you flushed and changed the fluid as required.
Originally Posted by SSTTIM
Just had my master cylinder fail. Seeing lots of chat about earlier models being recalled, but nothing yet for the 2011. Any others out there been hit by this one?
Old 06-29-12, 06:00 PM
EMSLEXUSRX
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just like Cruiter said. Lexus will take care of you when it comes to the stuff that should be dealt with under warranty. I just had my 2010 RX in for two weeks due to a popping noise that I was getting when going from Reverse to Drive, or basically just when driving around. Apparently, they replaced my CV axles and one the front bearings. The noise is gone, I got to drive a 2010 RX, which I think drives much better than my RX, by the way; they filled up my gas tank and washed and vaccuumed the car. The only thing I had to pay for was just under $27 for a tire rotation. It even looked like they may have even waxed the car, but I'm not sure.

While I'm not loving the way my RX drives so much(it drives much harder over the imperfections in the road compared to the 2012) the car looks great and the dealership treats me great!
Old 07-03-12, 02:40 PM
deena
Driver School Candidate

Default 2011 RX 350 Master Cylinder Failure

This just happen to me with my RX350 on July 1 my car is still in the shop waiting for the part that they had to order. This should not happen with a car a year old. I know Lexus will take care of it but the point is what if you are on the freeway going 65 miles an hour you are in trouble! I was lucky on a side street when it happen. I just wonder if this is a problem with the 2011's and it takes a few years for Lexus to realize it when enough cars have this problem.
Old 07-03-12, 02:52 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 112 Posts

What is the symptom for Master cylinder Failure? Please advice.
Old 07-03-12, 04:25 PM
VVRX
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GoHuskers
What is the symptom for Master cylinder Failure? Please advice.
Excessive play in your pedal or pedal sinks to floor.
Old 07-09-12, 04:34 PM
SSTTIM
Driver School Candidate

Default Master Cylinder Failure

An early warning of impending M/C failure can be found by pushing your foot firmly on the brake pedal. If there's a M/C problem in your future the pedal will slowly sink to the floor. Holding the pedal pressure for about a half-minute will tell the tale. The worse the problem, the faster the pedal goes to the floor. YOU SHOULD REPORT YOUR M/C FAILURE TO THE NHTSA OR ODI WEB SITES. My failure occurred while sitting at a red light, but the pedal did feel mushy for two or three days before. If it had happened three days later I would have been driving on the I-10 on my way to Phoenix at 75mph! I don't want to even think about that.
Old 07-09-12, 04:50 PM
svofan1
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know if the 2011 model has the same feature as the 2012, I am refering to the "hill assist"...I happened to have a hill by the house and a traffic light and when I go that way and the light is red in order not to "fall back" when starting I press the brake pedal hard and the "yellow light" indicating the feature is engaged then I accelerate uphill.....I presume that at that moment if there is a MC failure (or about to fail) it will show, correct?...or am I assuming?...
Old 07-09-12, 06:06 PM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by svofan1
I don't know if the 2011 model has the same feature as the 2012, I am refering to the "hill assist"...I happened to have a hill by the house and a traffic light and when I go that way and the light is red in order not to "fall back" when starting I press the brake pedal hard and the "yellow light" indicating the feature is engaged then I accelerate uphill.....I presume that at that moment if there is a MC failure (or about to fail) it will show, correct?...or am I assuming?...
Is "hill assist" a standard feature??? Ii don't remember it being mentioned anywhere or in my reading???,Thanks
Old 07-09-12, 08:41 PM
svofan1
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't like to assume, but this is what I am reading on the window sticker under the heading "STANDARD EQUIPMENT"and in the section called "safety features" reads: 4 wheel anti-lock breaking system (ABS) with electronic brakeforce distribution (EBD),Brake Assist (BA) / Vehicle stability control (VSC). I guess I called it "hill assist" incorrectly because that it is how is clled in other cars (maybe Toyota or Acura)
Old 07-09-12, 11:16 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SSTTIM
An early warning of impending M/C failure can be found by pushing your foot firmly on the brake pedal. If there's a M/C problem in your future the pedal will slowly sink to the floor. Holding the pedal pressure for about a half-minute will tell the tale. The worse the problem, the faster the pedal goes to the floor. YOU SHOULD REPORT YOUR M/C FAILURE TO THE NHTSA OR ODI WEB SITES. My failure occurred while sitting at a red light, but the pedal did feel mushy for two or three days before. If it had happened three days later I would have been driving on the I-10 on my way to Phoenix at 75mph! I don't want to even think about that.
You have to think about such scenario... and for the benefit of all members reading this thread, whether it's MC failure or failure from the brakes,
You can still slow down the car..

1. Engine Braking, manually shift ( even on Automatic) from the highest gear to the lowest and safely steer your way to the shoulder.
2. Push the On/Off button and Safely and slowly steer yourself to the shoulder.

if i have to choose between bad and worse, i'd gladly take that scenario at an interstate, where everyone is moving on the same direction.. You can always have your hazard lights ON to warn other drivers as you make your way to the Right.. to the shoulder.
IT is more dangerous, IMO to happen in the city where there are stop lights and pedestrian crossing
Old 07-11-12, 04:43 PM
deena
Driver School Candidate

Now I have had that car in the shop since July 1 and finally we were supposed to get it back today--Lexus calls to tell us that the master cyilinder part it was replaced with has failed when they were test driving it today! I do not know whats going on, but I don't think I want that car back! They are bringing in some engineers from Lexus tomorrow to fiqure it out I guess.
Old 07-11-12, 04:51 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by deena
Now I have had that car in the shop since July 1 and finally we were supposed to get it back today--Lexus calls to tell us that the master cyilinder part it was replaced with has failed when they were test driving it today! I do not know whats going on, but I don't think I want that car back! They are bringing in some engineers from Lexus tomorrow to fiqure it out I guess.
Read the booklet that came with your RX...specifically the WArranty pages.
There's anumber of attempts, for the same problem that the dealer can fix your car..
Beyond that you are entitled under Federal and StAte laws for compensation.
Whether's it's a refund, dealer buys back the car from you, or give you a similarly equipped RX with milage close to yours.
Old 07-13-12, 03:56 PM
deena
Driver School Candidate

Now the engineers are saying that it was the brake activator not the master cylinder that failed--don't know what a brake activator is! We will see-- said it will be ready tomorrow.
Old 07-13-12, 06:43 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

It will probably be something very simple that gave the same symptoms as the master cylinder and that's what made the 2nd one look bad. You'll be back on the road and in time forget the whole scenario. These cars are complex and the dealer was probably frantic trying to satisfy you. Sometimes our doctors diagnose incorrectly as well and we find later it was something else with similar symptoms. It happens and usually without fault.
Originally Posted by deena
Now the engineers are saying that it was the brake activator not the master cylinder that failed--don't know what a brake activator is! We will see-- said it will be ready tomorrow.