RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

A couple of Questions.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-12, 01:56 PM
HWDRX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A couple of Questions.

Hello everyone,
The first is a simple one. Does anyone know if the RX is supposed to turn on the headlights when it rains? Most other cars I have owned that have auto wipers turn on the wipers when it rains and the lights as well. Some do this independent of the wipers. My car is nearly fully loaded, if this matters.

Secondly, and a bit more involved. Today I got the dealer to give me a CT200h loaner while my car was being serviced. Curiously, they could not give me a loaner unless I was doing some sort of repair work so I am having a dent removed too. I find this odd, but not the reason for writing.

I am driving this CT around and find that the car will coast. Maybe that's not exactly what it does but when I let go of the gas pedal I can clearly feel the car "free up". Its not doing the regeneration thing. It shows that it is regenerating on the display. It is clearly free wheeling sort of like when you shift a car into neutral and coast. Then on other occasions the car will not coast but with my foot off the pedal, it actually applies battery power and sort of pushes itself along. This could be off putting to some but I like it.

I am asking as my RX does nothing of the sort. If I take my foot off the gas it will simply go into regeneration mode. It does not matter if I hit the brake. Mine is an AWD mode, if this matters. Does anyone else notice this? My mileage is not too great either so I am wondering.

Thanks,
Ed
Old 06-29-12, 07:28 PM
BertL
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The RX does not automatically turn on headlights when it rains.

On your second question, I have no experience and have never driven a CT, so cannot comment.
Old 06-29-12, 09:15 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

I wish the rx had this feature. I'm surprised it doestn have the auto headlight with wipers, my jeep has this feature and it cost more then half the price of an RX. It even has auto adjustable peddles
Old 06-30-12, 08:16 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

In the CT manual, it doesn't seem to indicate the CT will "coast". It made it sound like it always regenerates when your foot is lifted off the accelerator. Perhaps if the battery is full it coasts. Although in my RX the battery is never full and I think I read some third party article for good charging and discharging the batteries are never filled.
Old 06-30-12, 09:10 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

That's correct. The Toyota/Lexus technology is that they will last longer if never overcharged or discharged beyond a maximum/minimum amount. And the nickel/hydride batteries are fast charging and long lasting.

As for the CT, I'm wondering if it's different performance settings might include one that coasts with less regeneration than others. If that curious, I'd visit their forum and drop the question.
Originally Posted by DunWkg
In the CT manual, it doesn't seem to indicate the CT will "coast". It made it sound like it always regenerates when your foot is lifted off the accelerator. Perhaps if the battery is full it coasts. Although in my RX the battery is never full and I think I read some third party article for good charging and discharging the batteries are never filled.
Old 06-30-12, 09:49 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

More from the CT manual:

Sport mode
Use when high levels of response and feeling are desirable, such as when driving in mountainous regions or when overtaking.
When the driving mode select switch is turned right, the “SPORT MODE” indicator comes on in the instrument cluster.
Press the switch to change the driving mode to normal mode.
Doesn't really answer the deceleration question.