RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Driver's Seat and Narrow Legroom?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-12, 03:58 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

i'm with the majority, the RX 350/450h is the best highway cruiser out there.
i drove a CT200h this july 4th and after 2 hours i am complaining to the "owner". ( no wonder he let me drove it!)
talk about your legs hitting the console, and there's no comfortable position driving.
i have given up adjusting the seat.. then there's the sun visor or lack thereof..
then there's the arm rest and the center console..uhh!
it feels like a nightmare driving the CT200h.. seriously.. i had more comfort with my wife's 2011 Toyota Prius..
Old 07-05-12, 04:01 PM
HWDRX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I must be the wacked out one!

HI,
I actually have an issue with the left side, not the right side. My knee hits the door panel that holds the switches, I expect there to be a hole there in a year or two. Seems you can't stretch out the left leg as the brake is in the way and when you bend your leg it sort of rests on the door. I guess I am used to it after 5,000 miles but I would like to see a brake switch vs. the pedal so I can stretch my left leg without hitting the brake. Of course, I am the only one with this concern.

Oh, and Lexus, if you are trolling, why don't you slim down that door switch area so there is a bit more leg room? Thank you..
Old 07-05-12, 04:47 PM
BCRCornet
Driver

Originally Posted by Woodrow
... I will also tell you that I think the RX is the most comfortable and best handling road car I've ever driven, once you admit to yourself that it isn't intended to be a race car. I think it could be the perfect car for road trips!
+1!
In early May, I drove from Vancouver to Toronto and back - >9200 km in 13 driving days. Very much enjoyed the drive.
Old 07-06-12, 06:45 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

So i tried to reproduce the problem this morning ( even though the legroom has never been an issue for me)
There is no way my knees will hit the right or the left side when im driving.
Is it possible that the problem is with the driver's positioning of his knees?
Or there are 2 people occupying the driver's seat doing " you know what".
Kidding aside, i can even cross my legs ( left over the right knee) with the settings i have on memory.

Here's an advice as you play with the settings on the driver's seat.
Use the location of the buttons on the steering wheel as your guide. ( left for the L knee, right for thr R knee)
The kneecap should be directly below it or 5-10 degrees off center.
Old 07-06-12, 07:25 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by HWDRX
HI,
I actually have an issue with the left side, not the right side. My knee hits the door panel that holds the switches, I expect there to be a hole there in a year or two. Seems you can't stretch out the left leg as the brake is in the way and when you bend your leg it sort of rests on the door. I guess I am used to it after 5,000 miles but I would like to see a brake switch vs. the pedal so I can stretch my left leg without hitting the brake. Of course, I am the only one with this concern.

Oh, and Lexus, if you are trolling, why don't you slim down that door switch area so there is a bit more leg room? Thank you..
I checked yesterday and yes my left leg rests on the door, but it's padded leather and it feels just fine. The right leg rests on the center console and it's hard plastic. If it were padded leather that might help a bit, but I think it's the angle my knee ends up pushing on the pedal that causes my ache. When I put on the cruise I draw my foot up a little towards the seat and in line with brake pedal. When I straighten that leg I stretch it out between the accelerator and the brake pedal, but don't like doing it as I think it would affect my ability to slam on the brakes.
Old 07-06-12, 08:35 PM
BobBass
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Dun,
I recall thinking the same thing about the right side; if it was padded or cushioned somehow it wouldn't be an issue.
Old 07-06-12, 11:46 PM
zyx345
Driver School Candidate

Thanks to all for all of the replies. Any additional are helpful.

I also found this older Consumer Reports review on the Third Gen RX and if you go to approx. 40 seconds into the video they briefly describe the drivers side legroom.

Old 07-07-12, 09:57 AM
BobBass
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

WOW! SHE HITS THE KNEE ON THE HEAD WITH THAT. Good ol' Consumer Reports. Great find for this thread.
Old 07-07-12, 12:07 PM
EMSLEXUSRX
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I remember seeing this video a while back when checking out reviews for the third gen RX. It was one of the more accurate reviews that I had seen and addressed a lot of the pros and cons that I happen to feel that the RX has.
Old 07-07-12, 11:29 PM
RxRPh
Driver School Candidate

Default driving posture is the key

I think it's got more to do with driving posture than anything else. I have a Toyota Landcruiser and experience a similar discomfort to that described by the OP with my left leg rubbing the door handle when I drive. Like the Rx, the LC has a lot of room in the cockpit, but it's just the way I sit that causes me a bit of discomfort.
Old 07-08-12, 05:03 AM
BCRCornet
Driver

Default driving posture is the key

Originally Posted by RxRPh
I think it's got more to do with driving posture than anything else. ... Like the Rx, the LC has a lot of room in the cockpit, but it's just the way I sit that causes me a bit of discomfort.
+1
I have no issues at all, with lots of space between my knee/leg and the door/console. I suspect that if I played with the seat and steering wheel adjustments, I could replicate the problem that some others are encountering, but I'm quite happy with my seat and steering wheel settings as they are.