RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Wood Gone

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-12, 04:36 PM
CanadianRX
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep Rx350 premium luxury package or higher has it in Canada
Ebony posted below
Attached Thumbnails Wood Gone-img_20120914_192320.jpg  
Old 09-14-12, 10:34 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's a Luxury package thing NOT a RXh thing.
Old 09-15-12, 08:32 PM
mklemovitc
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The 2013 RX450h Luxury package includes "Rear cupholder wood trim".

See http://pressroom.lexus.com/releases/...duct+specs.htm

The same page on the 2013 RX350 product information sheet only lists "Rear cupholder"

See http://pressroom.lexus.com/releases/...duct+specs.htm
Old 09-15-12, 09:11 PM
BertL
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TxTarheel
Also it is not shown as an extra if you get the luxury package. Is it listed in the luxury package for the RX440h?
Let's try to remove emotion here. Since you asked for the answer to the RX450h question, look at the official Lexus document in my post #6 of this thread that came out with the 2013 models at this year's Geneva Auto Show. Page 7 indicates the rear cupholder has wood trim in the Luxury Package of a 2013 RX450h. As I've said, the truck sitting in my garage with that package, has it, so I can physically confirm the fact.

Now, as to the 2013 RX350, this product spec sheet from Lexus issued at the same time as the RX450h version above, on page 8 does not call out "wood" in the luxury package, but note it does indicate by bold highlighting there was some sort of change from the 2012 model when they write only the words "Rear cupholder" (compared to the RX450h spec sheet that adds in the word "wood") as part of the Luxury Package. I grant you, it does not say the wood was "taken away", but marketing documents from most any mfgr in any industry would never say it that distinctly, even if it were a fact. I'll leave it to readers of this post to develop your own opinion given the two documents still out on an official Lexus site.

PERSONAL OPINION ON
While I appreciate this detail is important to some and we're all wound up in it, I don't consider the "wood trim surrounding only the rear cupholder" important enough that things like marketing brochures, etc call it out. Marketing materials tend to hype the good and more generic or big things -- almost never the "take aways" as some people may perceive them. If Lexus or any brand tried to go to the level of detail specifying the color and type of ***** and other (more minor) detail like that for every vehicle, they would have to produce marketing books for each model that would prohibitively increase the cost of our vehicles because they'd have to pass their internal legal and marketing tests as well as production and distribution costs of producing the extra marketing material. It would probably make the whole vehicle look more complex than it needs to for most consumers if the marketing materials are too detailed. When I was researching differences in 2012 to 2013 models earlier this year to decide on possibly canceling my 5-month old 2012 special order and starting over with a 2013 (which I did), I went through line item by line item of every piece of documentation I could scrounge up including suppositions here on CL, and frankly, I ended up with more on-the-mark info than my dealer or the Lexus Customer Sat line could confirm until physical delivery took place. As much as it pains me through that, I unfortunately have examples where both my dealer and Lexus Customer Sat were wrong because Lexus Marketing did a poor job prioritizing the hype surrounding the 2013s above what ended up being inconsistent and incomplete information back out to their customers and other IT infrastructure including Lexus.com. I'm disappointed in Lexus Marketing for that. I'm also sorry that the Customer Sat line perhaps was not clear or right in their response to other customers, but I've had that same issue as well and followed-up with them with the facts each time when I knew something to be different than their response to me -- hoping some database somewhere would get updated to prevent the problem for someone else. As much as I want perfection from Lexus in every interaction I have with them, I consider there are still human people involved and subject to mistakes with the information they have available to them.
PERSONAL OPINION OFF
Old 09-15-12, 09:28 PM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wholeheartedly agree Bert; very well said, and I think others who have worked with design, marketing or manufacturing can appreciate the complication of keeping information accurate as a product changes!! Well Done
Old 09-16-12, 05:08 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Dwight and Bert are correct in that wood looks to be gone from the RX350 in US configuration, period and end of story. It may still be there in Canada or other countries I'm not sure. It still seems to be part of the RX 450h. But there have been lots of adds/deletions in the 2013 year, this is just part of them.

Thursday evening I went to the preview party for the ESh. In what looked like the full trim package it did not have wood in the rear armrest either but maybe the one on the showroom was missing something. But it was still a nice looking sedan but with a 2.2L 4cyl and 200hp in (h) configuration.
Attached Thumbnails Wood Gone-esh.jpg  
Old 09-16-12, 09:12 AM
dentate
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Canadian RX- We do not have a premium luxury package. We have a possible 5 packages beyond the base...Premium 1, Premium 2, Touring, Ultra Prem 1, Ultra Prem 2 and the other model the F-sport. I believe the woodgrain trim on the rear console cupholder lid is only available for 2013 on the Ultra 1 and Ultra 2--which are similar in content to the US Luxury Package.

dentate
Oshawa, ON
Old 09-16-12, 12:36 PM
CanadianRX
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dentate
Canadian RX- We do not have a premium luxury package. We have a possible 5 packages beyond the base...Premium 1, Premium 2, Touring, Ultra Prem 1, Ultra Prem 2 and the other model the F-sport. I believe the woodgrain trim on the rear console cupholder lid is only available for 2013 on the Ultra 1 and Ultra 2--which are similar in content to the US Luxury Package.

dentate
Oshawa, ON
I don't know what I was smoking when I wrote that but your are correct. I meant Ultra Premium 1 and 2 lol.
Old 09-16-12, 08:12 PM
TxTarheel
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My sincere apologizes to anyone that I have offended here. I apologize for my previous comments and for keeping this subject alive, as it serves no purpose. No emotion here. I just prefer the older version and was sad to see it disappear. I was hopeful there might be some way to obtain the part at a resonable price but that does not appear to be the case. Should have just let it go.

BertL, I was trying to ascertain if it was listed on the 450h package info anywhere and as you stated it is listed. Missed it on your earlier post, my bad. Should have reread the thread before posting. Please excuse my error.

Case closed.

Last edited by TxTarheel; 09-16-12 at 08:29 PM.