RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

BT - Phone (iphone) connection dropping issue anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-12, 06:29 AM
py0413
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to hear that I am not the only one having this issue. My phone's BT is always on as it is paired with my other cars too. I rarely turn it off unless I take a long flight and try to save on power.

Interesting enough, I can still call and receive calls while the screen shows my phone is not connected, but I won't see the incoming numbers nor does my phonebook/speed dials exist anymore.

This is going to be something I have to discuss with the service department next time I see them.
Old 07-17-12, 09:17 AM
TexasRxh
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BertL
Think of your iPhone hardware like your body or that of a shell. iOS is what goes inside that to give it it's personality. As DunWkg says, Apple updates iOS from time-to-time to add capabilities and fix problems -- iOS 5 has been out for more than a year now, so it's time you "sent your iPhone back to school" for some improvements and hopefully make it a little smarter than it is now. As he says, it may or may not resolve the actual problem you're having with car connectivity. Make sense?

Just plug your iPhone with the USB cable that came with it into your Mac or PC, as you did at time of the original iPhone purchase. iTunes will see your iPhone and notice iOS is down-level then prompt you to update. Let it do it -- it will take some time to download the code and update things. Don't disconnect or try to stop the process once it begins. Your contacts, apps, etc will be backed-up automatically before it starts, and they will still be on your phone when the process is complete. The whole process is extremely simple. After you do this, I'd suggest you at least connect your iPhone to iTunes every few weeks (I do mine approximately every week) so that you have a backup of your iPhone in case you loose it or some disaster strikes, and any updates will be automatically downloaded to your phone as well. The side benefit is some day when you buy a new iPhone, you'll just plug it into iTunes after you buy it, iTunes will recognize you had one before and ask you if you want to bring everything over from your old phone -- so your settings, apps, contacts, etc are there and ready-to-go on your new device immediately. Stay current and let your iPhone benefit from the latest updates as often as possible.
One thing to note regarding upgrades and iPhone backups: Priot to iCloud backup (IOS 5) if you want to preserve your WiFi connections or anything with a password or key you must choose the option in iTunes on the Summary tab under Backup that encrypts the backup with a password. Otherwise you may need to re-setup your WiFi and some other stuff.
Old 07-26-12, 02:31 PM
cloud11244
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cloud11244
My wife is finding that , in order to connect, she does not have to go through the "connection' process (which was already done), but has to turn the Bluetooth off, then on again on her Iphone 4 settings everytime she enters the car in order to connect. So, is this a Lexus problem or an Iphone 4 problem? I am still a little confused in spite of the discussions above in this thread.
I think I have found a fix for this. First, I updated to IOS 5.1.1 as others have suggested in this thread. Then I deleted the BT devise (that connects to the Lexus) on the Iphone and changed the name of the Iphone. I also deleted the Iphone from the Lexus BT. Then I repaired the Iphone to the Lexus system. Now the Iphone automatically "connects" everytime my wife enters the car, as it should! Thanks for all the suggestions.
Old 07-26-12, 02:43 PM
BertL
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Great news, and thanks for reporting back results!
Old 07-26-12, 04:28 PM
svofan1
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cloud11244
I think I have found a fix for this. First, I updated to IOS 5.1.1 as others have suggested in this thread. Then I deleted the BT devise (that connects to the Lexus) on the Iphone and changed the name of the Iphone. I also deleted the Iphone from the Lexus BT. Then I repaired the Iphone to the Lexus system. Now the Iphone automatically "connects" everytime my wife enters the car, as it should! Thanks for all the suggestions.
..what happens if you have 2 phones paired to the BT?...dose the first one who enters the car connects automatically?....of do have to disconnect one and connect the other?....
Old 07-26-12, 05:18 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by svofan1
..what happens if you have 2 phones paired to the BT?...dose the first one who enters the car connects automatically?....of do have to disconnect one and connect the other?....
One to four phones, first in first connected. Keep in mind if the car is running and no one is in the car, the first phone in range connects not necessarily the first in the car. It could be the first around the car.
Old 07-27-12, 04:27 AM
svofan1
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DunWkg
One to four phones, first in first connected. Keep in mind if the car is running and no one is in the car, the first phone in range connects not necessarily the first in the car. It could be the first around the car.
..thanks, that is the way it is supposed to work, is the RX 2012?...mine does not do that, we have to connect manually whom ever's phone we want to use in the car...that is the way my 2011 MDX used to do it..first in, first one connect, no manula anything....when contacted Lexus they had no answer..the dealer well,,,, the dealer is the dealer and the Boston strangler is the Boston strangler ..no help there either.....as they say...lol....