RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Internet pricing bs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-12, 11:38 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by NoLFA4U
I'm asking in the 40s for my CPO 2010 RX AWDs.

36k is a good price IMO.
There's no limit to anyone's asking price.

Here's a lik from Kelly Blue Book For a CPO AWD with navigation,HID etc in Excellent condition.
Price is at 36, 200

http://www.kbb.com/lexus/rx/2010-lex...ue&anchor=true
Old 07-09-12, 12:39 PM
NoLFA4U
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know of any dealership manager that uses kbb as their pricing source. If they did, I imagine they wouldnt have a job for that long.
Old 07-09-12, 12:42 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by markrivers
Here's a link to Two 2010 RX350 Base priced at 29,900.
One has 39,000 miles on it so it's quite close to what the OP is looking at.

http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-...-RX-350-c21582

Here's another link from Kelly blue book where i input all the options including navigation and HID lights

Excellent condition: 33,256
Very Good condition : 32,456
Good condtion: 31,456
Fair conditon: 28, 756
http://www.kbb.com/lexus/rx/2010-lex...ty&anchor=true

As you can see, even in excellent condition, the highest this car is going to get is 33,000

So you're willing to pay 6,000 for AWD and Navigation?
I still stand by my comment that i will OnLy buy this RX for 32,000 or at most 33,000.

And just to remind everyone, we're talking about a USED Car and not a CPO Lexus ( which is always pricier).
Almost ALL on your list are BASE model and I bet they are prob. FWD as well.

Yes, $6000 for AWD and Navi are way too expensive BUT it will be way too cheap if you have to modify a Non-Navi FWD RX350 into a Navi/AWD as the factory setup.

I would say it is decent for a 2010 AWD/Navi/HID with 30k miles for $35k-$38k. Also, markets place BIG roles in price as well. I live in NE so AWD is considered higher value than FWD models.
Old 07-09-12, 01:08 PM
firehawk12
Driver School Candidate

When I purchased my new 2012 RX350 AWD with navi, prem, comfort and a few more accessories, I relied heavily on internet prices such as prices that people posted on forums and websites such as truecar.com.

I had to determine the average price people were paying around my area as well as what others were paying for, say in California. With online research, I was able to prepare myself mentally when walking into dealerships and knowing how much savings I can get away with. The salesman will obviously tell you its a ridiculous price and you won't find a better deal and its selling out fast, trust me, it's their job to. For example, I called one dealer and I told them my price range and the salesman asked where I came up with these imaginary numbers on a new RX. I told him the internet and he laughed and said he'll call me back. He calls me back and apologizes and says he learned something new today. He gives me a price tag that was BELOW my asking price. Needless to say, I put a deposit on it and picked it up 2 days later!

I had to go through 15+ dealers over the phone and in person before I even got this offer. Moral of the story, shop around and don't commit to just one dealer. There are always deals out there, you just have to find them.

If you have to question the price, I would say leave it. IMO, I say you can find a better deal on a used 2010 RX350.

BTW, my price on the RX was 43k even. Had to travel to DE but the savings are huge compared to NYC. Average price around NY is 45-46k. My friend's father works at Lexus of Manhattan as a salesman and he states that I got it for dirt cheap and don't know how I was able to obtain this price tag.
Old 07-09-12, 04:59 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GoHuskers
Almost ALL on your list are BASE model and I bet they are prob. FWD as well.

Yes, $6000 for AWD and Navi are way too expensive BUT it will be way too cheap if you have to modify a Non-Navi FWD RX350 into a Navi/AWD as the factory setup.

I would say it is decent for a 2010 AWD/Navi/HID with 30k miles for $35k-$38k. Also, markets place BIG roles in price as well. I live in NE so AWD is considered higher value than FWD models.
@ GoHuskers, i don't want to argue with you. Obviously you missed the part on my post where i said i included AWD, Navigation and HID on the filter ( as far as the KBB breakdown went)

All i'm saying is, i have numbers to back my claim..it may be "unrealistic". But that's your opinion.

Bring this print out from Kelly Blue Book and the buyer can NEGOTIATE with the dealer.
If they don't want to, there are other dealer's to consider.

I used to live in Connecticut and i understand what you mean by AWD plays an important role there.
Old 07-09-12, 05:01 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by NoLFA4U
I don't know of any dealership manager that uses kbb as their pricing source. If they did, I imagine they wouldnt have a job for that long.
You got it backwards buddy! You as the buyer brings this information to the dealer, whether it's KBB.com Truecars.com or Edmunds.com or even Yahoo.com.
You want to start a negotiation, somewhere in the middle or get some freebies/ options.
Old 07-09-12, 07:11 PM
NoLFA4U
Driver

You would be better off taking in printouts of a similar cars at different dealerships, along with the carfax of each one.

Last edited by NoLFA4U; 07-09-12 at 07:14 PM.
Old 08-08-12, 10:46 PM
SAPNY
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it all depends on the car and how long it has been in the dealership
internet pricing is not real world
Old 08-08-12, 11:02 PM
SAPNY
Rookie

internet price is a good reference but the real price depends on particular used car and the amount of time its been on the lot at a dealership
Old 08-10-12, 04:48 PM
NCRon
Driver School Candidate

I for one hope the whole idiotic system of haggling between salesmen and car buyers comes to an end soon. It is crazy for any business to be at war with its own customers and it is equally crazy for a customer to feel as if he or she must always seek an even lower price no matter how good the price being offered seems to be. I have found that a far better way to buy a new car (and in some cases a certified preowned one) is by using a car purchasing service offered by a credit union, a warehouse club such as Costco or various other organizations. I just used Costco to buy a 2013 RX 350 and it was the most stress-free car-buying experience of my life, which has now spanned more than 68 years. I just emailed Costco, provided my membership number, got the name of a Costco contact at a local Lexus dealership and then emailed that person a request for a price quote. In a wink, the salesman emailed me a price that showed the MSRP for the kind of vehicle I wanted and the Costco price for it. I got a nice discount that satisfied me and that seemed fair. The trade-in was a bit trickier since Costco pricing doesn't include trade-ins. However, to confirm that the dealer's offer was fair, I took my trade-in to a local Carmax and got an offer from them. It was close enough to what the dealer was offering to convince me that the dealer's price was fair. Had there been a huge difference, I would have sold the car to Carmax and then bought the Lexus at the Costco price with no trade-in. It is always nice to buy a new expensive toy and not be left fuming and suspicious and angry at the person or place that you bought from. With any luck at all, this will soon become the norm for buying cars.

Last edited by NCRon; 08-10-12 at 04:51 PM. Reason: minor changes
Old 08-10-12, 04:57 PM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NCRon
I for one hope the whole idiotic system of haggling between salesmen and car buyers comes to an end soon. It is crazy for any business to be at war with its own customers and it is equally crazy for a customer to feel as if he or she must always seek an even lower price no matter how good the price being offered seems to be. I have found that a far better way to buy a new car (and in some cases a certified preowned one) is by using a car purchasing service offered by a credit union, a warehouse club such as Costco or various other organizations. I just used Costco to buy a 2013 RX 350 and it was the most stress-free car-buying experience of my life, which has now spanned more than 68 years. I just emailed Costco, provided my membership number, got the name of a Costco contact at a local Lexus dealership and then emailed that person a request for a price quote. In a wink, the salesman emailed me a price that showed the MSRP for the kind of vehicle I wanted and the Costco price for it. I got a nice discount that satisfied me and that seemed fair. The trade-in was a bit trickier since Costco pricing doesn't include trade-ins. However, to confirm that the dealer's offer was fair, I took my trade-in to a local Carmax and got an offer from them. It was close enough to what the dealer was offering to convince me that the dealer's price was fair. Had there been a huge difference, I would have sold the car to Carmax and then bought the Lexus at the Costco price with no trade-in. It is always nice to buy a new expensive toy and not be left fuming and suspicious and angry at the person or place that you bought from. With any luck at all, this will soon become the norm for buying cars.
Be aware that the public is totally brainwashed that "Costco" always has the best quality for the lowest price. Thankfully I went to my credit union instead! I used to be around the car business so my salesman shared with me that they had to kick back $300 to the Credit Union but greedy Costco requires an $800 kickback. We all know who's pocket that extra $500 comes from!!!! And of course the CU provided instand financing so the fastest deal ever on buying a car!!!
Old 08-10-12, 07:00 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Dwight, I don't know if you have a bone to pick with COSTCO, but there is no standard on an $800 kickback to them. If someone told you that, they told you wrong. I've been a member since they came to the area over 20 years ago and it's a service they provide for their customers. Some have joined just for that feature (was worth the membership price) and stayed. If that was the case then on a much cheaper car closer to 20 thousand, the $800 would put their price over sticker.
Originally Posted by dctex99
Be aware that the public is totally brainwashed that "Costco" always has the best quality for the lowest price. Thankfully I went to my credit union instead! I used to be around the car business so my salesman shared with me that they had to kick back $300 to the Credit Union but greedy Costco requires an $800 kickback. We all know who's pocket that extra $500 comes from!!!! And of course the CU provided instand financing so the fastest deal ever on buying a car!!!
Old 08-10-12, 07:31 PM
dctex99
Lead Lap

[QUOTE=Cruiter;7415228]Dwight, I don't know if you have a bone to pick with COSTCO, but there is no standard on an $800 kickback to them. If someone told you that, they told you wrong. I've been a member since they came to the area over 20 years ago and it's a service they provide for their customers. Some have joined just for that feature (was worth the membership price) and stayed. If that was the case then on a much cheaper car closer to 20 thousand, the $800 would put their price over sticker.[/QUOT

Jim: It may vary with the price of the car, but on THIS Lexus that is what they would have had to pay C ostco and paid much less to the Credit Union; and of course, once again, the Credit union is providing instant financing. If Costco has a recommended Bank you can rest assured that they get paid for it.. Also,,,Just a little trick for peoples knowledge since I have been around the car business so much more than many....Most banks Kick back to car companies with a 6 month contract; so if you fiind a better deal after 5 1/2 months and pay it off, the bank has to REFUND the kickback!!! This is the case with many products; a friend refinanced his Solar System and the sales guy got really mad as part of that kick back came OUT of his next check!! It is an interesting world inside, Jim; sometimes ignorance is truly bliss!!
Old 08-10-12, 08:26 PM
VVRX
Pole Position

There is nothing wrong with making a purchase through the internet providing you are willing to accept what is available from the dealer of stock on hand. I was given up front prices of 2-3k off dealer invoice. Unfortunately, I
was looking for options that were unavailable and was forced to order.
Old 08-10-12, 09:07 PM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by VVRX
There is nothing wrong with making a purchase through the internet providing you are willing to accept what is available from the dealer of stock on hand. I was given up front prices of 2-3k off dealer invoice. Unfortunately, I
was looking for options that were unavailable and was forced to order.
Yes, and being in California we have hundreds to chose from, but yes, if you want some
not so common options, special order is still the way to go and can still get a great price!!

Quick Reply: Internet pricing bs?