RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Whats up with free maintenance?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-12, 11:05 AM
sailorx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats up with free maintenance?

Would someone tell me why Toyota gives free maintence to everyone but Lexus.
Old 07-09-12, 11:15 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by sailorx
Would someone tell me why Toyota gives free maintence to everyone but Lexus.
Can you be more specific with your question?
Lexus gives you a complimentary 5,000 and 10,000 miles maintenance

Just bring the car to the service bay and you won't be paying a single centavo.
You'll even get a loaner and sweet cookies.
Old 07-09-12, 12:33 PM
DMC9114
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by markrivers
Can you be more specific with your question?
Lexus gives you a complimentary 5,000 and 10,000 miles maintenance

Just bring the car to the service bay and you won't be paying a single centavo.
You'll even get a loaner and sweet cookies.
I didn't know they gave you loaners for these services; thought I read somewhere that they didn't. Or maybe it depends on the dealership?
Old 07-09-12, 01:03 PM
MikeP
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

If I'm not mistaken, I believe Lexus' policy is a loaner if it's a warranty repair, or scheduled maintenance that would require the dealer to keep your car for 24 hours or more. My experience, however is the availability of loaners is dependent on individual dealers. Mine, for instance, will offer a loaner for services longer than 2-3 hours.
Old 07-09-12, 01:30 PM
BertL
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Detail on the loaner policy for warranty service is outlined in the warranty guide with each of our vehicles. As MikeP is saying, my experience is similar in that the warranty terms in that guide are my minimum expectation... My dealers have always given me a loaner for every service I have asked for one -- but I realize that is at their discretion part of the time. It's part of my decision process when selecting dealers I want to do ongoing business with.
Old 07-09-12, 01:42 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 171 Likes on 145 Posts

Welcome to CL, sailorx. The two free services covers most people for 18 months so it's close to the Toyota program. Loaner vehicles are at the dealers' discretion. Mine typically says only for major service (3+ hours) but I can get one when I bring the RX in for minor stuff too. I pass on it most of the time.
Old 07-09-12, 05:08 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

My Dealer is Lexus of Valencia
They give me a loaner everytime. I do have to schedule it and not just walk in.
I just had my 2nd complimentary service july 3 and got a 2012 CT200h as a loaner.

And since service dept is closed on the 4th. I got to play with the CT200h for 2 days.
Returned it on the 5th.

Maybe because i"m a repeat customer or maybe my Lexus dealer is just top notch.
Old 07-09-12, 05:29 PM
EMSLEXUSRX
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My dealership allows me to get a loaner for oil changes, tire rotations, if I ask for it in advance while scheduling my appointment. Most of the time, if you ask for one when you show up for your appointment, they are usually out of loaners.

When my RX was in for two weeks for warranty repairs, my SA told me I could take the loaner down to the Fla. Keys, if I wanted to, which I wasn't expecting that. Of course, I didn't take advantage of that offer at the time.
Old 07-09-12, 07:33 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

toyota only just started giving out two years of free maintenance and that was to buy back customers during/after the whole recall fiasco.

two years is really just 2 oil changes up to 20,000 miles, and seeing as how Lexus offers the first two maintenance for free, then its really not that big of a difference.

the official loaner policy is that you get one during warranted work and if the car has to stay overnight but my dealership gives them to me even for oil changes
Old 07-09-12, 07:58 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

@ SailorX are you referring to Toyota Care ?

i have this since we purchased a 2011 Toyota Prius IV last year.
you have 5 free check in/ 25,000 miles which ever comes first.
RXSF is right, the only other freebie you get is the 2nd oil change.

I was able to get 4 out of the 5 services.
i missed the 15,000 thinking i can get the 5th FREE for the 30,000 miles
i should have read the fine print.
Old 07-09-12, 08:59 PM
dnkyle
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can I bring to any Lexus dealer for 5K and 10K free services or I've to bring it to the dealer that I bought it from?

Thanks
Old 07-09-12, 09:18 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

^^ anywhere.
Old 07-10-12, 06:59 AM
DMC9114
Driver School Candidate

I don't mean to go off tangent here, but I have a question regarding the need to take advantage of the two free services within 18 months from the vehicle purchase. My RX is a commuter and my commute to/from work is quite short; I may barely put on 6K miles per year.

Therefore, when the 18th month starts creeping up and my odometer hasn't reached 10K, am I basically S.O.L. in getting the free oil change?
Old 07-10-12, 07:19 AM
BertL
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DMC9114
I don't mean to go off tangent here, but I have a question regarding the need to take advantage of the two free services within 18 months from the vehicle purchase. My RX is a commuter and my commute to/from work is quite short; I may barely put on 6K miles per year.

Therefore, when the 18th month starts creeping up and my odometer hasn't reached 10K, am I basically S.O.L. in getting the free oil change?
Officially, yes. There are reports though of some flexibility with some SAs, but I wouldn't count on it for the free-bees since it is governed more by Lexus Corporate. If I were you, I'd talk to my SA before you get to the 12 month mark. Suggest you look at the warranty guide in your truck -- first service is 5K/6 months, 10K/12 months -- not 18 months. ...and FWIW, I am in same position as you with low mileage.
Old 07-10-12, 09:41 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DMC9114

Here's my advice.
Do your second complimentary on or before the 18th month. You don't have to do the oil change.
They will do mostly inspection, tire rotation etc.

Now when you get to 10,000. Bring your Lexus to a Toyota service dept for oil change. (around $76) ot the door.
BUT with your driving habits, i'd probably change your oil around 8,000 miles.

I have a longer commute than you, 30miles one way ( to downtown LA) and highway driving is BETTER than city if we're discussing the performance of the Synthetic oil.

Quick Reply: Whats up with free maintenance?