RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models
Old 12-16-14, 11:44 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lexus IS Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

2010 RX350 DIY Brakes vs Lexus Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-22, 08:09 PM
lodit
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello all,

I was curious if there is an existing post about general labor prices for full brake replacement jobs (front and rear)?
Currently have an '11 RX 350 AWD with roughly 80k miles on it and was told that it's time to replace the rotors and pads (2mm and decreasing daily).
I was able to source a full front/rear drilled/slotted brake kit w/ ceramic pads, springs, clips from the bay for about $250.
Probably overkill with the drilled/slotted part, but wasn't much difference cost-wise with plain and supposedly performance is much better, so why not, right?

Anyways, I'm trying to see what forum members would estimate as reasonable labor pricing for the job and decide whether or not to DIY for the first time if cost is prohibitive.
It it helps, I'm near Phoenix, AZ.

Thanks!
Old 06-07-22, 02:30 AM
ghuns
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by lodit
Hello all,

I was curious if there is an existing post about general labor prices for full brake replacement jobs (front and rear)?
Currently have an '11 RX 350 AWD with roughly 80k miles on it and was told that it's time to replace the rotors and pads (2mm and decreasing daily).
I was able to source a full front/rear drilled/slotted brake kit w/ ceramic pads, springs, clips from the bay for about $250.
Probably overkill with the drilled/slotted part, but wasn't much difference cost-wise with plain and supposedly performance is much better, so why not, right?

Anyways, I'm trying to see what forum members would estimate as reasonable labor pricing for the job and decide whether or not to DIY for the first time if cost is prohibitive.
It it helps, I'm near Phoenix, AZ.

Thanks!
No idea what the jobs costs, but if your rotors are the originals, they probably don't need to be replaced yet. And no aftermarket pads/rotors will beat the OEM ones.
Old 06-07-22, 04:18 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,175 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Prices vary too much around the country and even from shop to shop and over time for any old post to be able to provide relevant pricing data.
There are average prices available on the internet if you do some googling.
Note that these same basic design brakes are shared by many Toyota and Lexus models and every car repair shop on the planet has replaced hundreds of them. It is a simple job.
I suggest you call around some local shops. Many will not do repairs with parts supplied by the owner, so you have to ask about that too.

I agree that drilled and slotted rotors are in this application usually not as good as OEM. They are noisier due to the holes and slots as the brake pads pass over them.
I prefer good coated aftermarket rotors that will not rust as quickly as OEM.
Old 06-07-22, 09:27 AM
lodit
5th Gear

Ah, gotcha.

From a performance perspective, drilled/slotted rotors and ceramic pads were hyped up from online advertisements and videos I saw on Youtube, so I thought to try them out.

Including less noise, dust, but more bite during hard braking and heat dissipation. (grain of salt taken)

I'll scope around for a reputable shop and see what they charge.

Thanks!
Old 06-07-22, 01:23 PM
Clutchless

The original pads are ceramic, as are most replacement brake pads.
Old 06-29-22, 04:12 PM
13RX350w
4th Gear

Default 13Rx350w

Got 42214 on mine and stops fine.
Old 07-01-22, 10:50 AM
Clutchless

What is 42214?
Old 07-01-22, 12:33 PM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 422 Likes on 338 Posts

I believe he means that he has 42,214 miles on his brake pads.
Old 07-01-22, 02:16 PM
chuyrobles
Instructor

Received 246 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by lodit
Hello all,

Currently have an '11 RX 350 AWD with roughly 80k miles on it and was told that it's time to replace the rotors and pads (2mm and decreasing daily)…
Who told you it was time to replace them? Definitely agree on the pads; the general recommendation for all pads is to replace them at 3mm or under.
The rotors, however, are only replaced if they cause vibrations when braking, or they are worn down beyond the recommended thickness. Otherwise, you can re-use them and just replace the pads. Tip: always check the guide pins as tbey tend to dry out. Use a good high temp silicone to lube them.
The following users liked this post:
fred9xx (08-27-22)
Old 07-28-22, 10:07 AM
notasubaru
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Can someone suggest brake pads and rotors on RockAuto?
Been looking at this kit. I don't really know what to purchase if its separate (not sure what's a good brand etc.)
It just seems like ceramic is the way to go?

Need both front and rear. I'm located in Western Canada if that helps.
Old 07-28-22, 01:48 PM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 190 Likes on 160 Posts

Many of us have used Akebono ceramic pads with success. The kit you reference will be fine, but only if you feel the need to change all the rotors. It is unlikely that it is necessary. Not a bad price for all that though. Powerstop is a well known brand.
Old 07-29-22, 12:52 PM
Clutchless

I have the Raybestos Element 3 brake pads on my RX and liked them enought to install them on a couple of other cars. They are a hybrid ceramic and semi-metallic pad. Quiet, stop great and last a long time with minimal dust. Plus they are far cheaper than Akebono ceramic pads.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...t=1684&jsn=906
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...t=1684&jsn=904

OEM pads were probably Akebono or Advics and both are also excellent brake pads.
Be sure to get some special grease for the brake caliper slide pins I like the Motorcraft XG3A stuff, but there are others such as CRC 05361 Silaramic Brake System Grease

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

For rotors you want those that have a coating to prevent rust. The OEM rotors do not have such a coating and rust to pieces in a few years. Do not get drilled and slotted rotors. They will not help you stop better, are noisy due to the holes and will not last as long due to the removal of metal making them weaker.

Again there are several great choices at Rockauto in the section labeled FULLY COATED
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...hub,rotor,1896

Last edited by Clutchless; 07-29-22 at 12:56 PM.
Old 07-29-22, 02:23 PM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 422 Likes on 338 Posts

I have been utilizing Wagner ThermoQuiet brake pads on all of our vehicles for at least the last 12 to 15 years. Good firm bite, low dust, silent as a tomb, and very affordable. I usually find the best deal on them at rockauto.com.
Old 08-06-22, 10:27 AM
Roscol
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by notasubaru
Can someone suggest brake pads and rotors on RockAuto?
Been looking at this kit. I don't really know what to purchase if its separate (not sure what's a good brand etc.)
It just seems like ceramic is the way to go?

Need both front and rear. I'm located in Western Canada if that helps.
I’ve been using brake kits from MaxBrakes.com, they ship for free from within Canada, used them on all my vehicles for years now.
just did my fronts but I believe you can get a full front and rear kit with tax and delivery for under $300.00 Canadian.

Old 09-05-22, 09:17 AM
droopy128
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

This is an old thread, LOL.. but i'll be changing out rear brakes.. rotor/pad.

Quick Reply: 2010 RX350 DIY Brakes vs Lexus Dealer