RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models
Old 12-16-14, 11:44 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lexus IS Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

2010 RX350 DIY Brakes vs Lexus Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-22, 06:36 AM
afpj
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

Sounds like you got everything covered in standard fashion otherwise. To answer your original question, I've not read or heard of anything that would cause premature brake "warpage" on these vehicles. What brand pads and rotors? are you noticing uneven wear on the pads? See any signs of uneven pressure on the rotors? It would be interesting to see what your mechanic finds as far as run out on the rotors.
Old 12-19-22, 03:20 PM
Wes45
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, thanks to everyone here and the excellent recommendations, I decided to replace the pads and brakes myself and just found a great deal for new pads and rotors for all four wheels. Not sure if I can mention the current sale price from Buybrakes, a veteran-owned company and the EBC S20 Ultimax pads with coated smooth rotors S20K1188. Wanted to pass along a good deal.
Old 04-24-23, 03:53 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

Wanted to share about my experience with permatex extreme brake lube (purple paste)...much like other reviews out there, I discovered it swells rubber seals, especially the little rubber band on the slider pins on some Toyota vehicles. So after 50 miles on a brake job and after reading more on permatex ceramic brake lubes, I decided to check my slider pins and they were stuck! I removed the rubber seal on the pin and replaced with a new one, and it slid right back in. I could not get the pin back in with the original swollen seal. Back to sil-glyde for slide pins. The ceramic stuff seems like it would work great on other metal to metal contact points, just not the pins. HTH

Last edited by afpj; 06-30-23 at 06:26 AM.
Old 04-25-23, 04:52 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 422 Likes on 338 Posts

Good points. Have to be careful about what lube to use on caliper pins with those rubber sleeves. Good ol' Sil-Glyde saves the day. My tube of Sil-Glyde is probably more than 20 years old now. I don't use it often but when I need it, it is there on my garage shelf waiting for me.
Old 05-05-23, 05:03 AM
Uno99
10th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Choosing the right brakes - help?

Hello everyone,
My 2013 RX350 (300,000kms!) needs new brakes and instead of paying toyota $850 like last time, I'm considering other options. I'm in Canada so choices and retailers are more limited. I came across the following on partsavatar.ca and things look good to me but I'm concerned I had to go with a different brand for the rear pads.
Does anyone have experience with "centric parts" brand brakes and should it be ok going with the dynamic friction co pads on the rear?

Thanks everyone for any advice!

Old 05-05-23, 05:16 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Centric brake pads are well-respected in the industry. I prefer Wagner ThermoQuiet brake pads. Been running them on all of our vehicles for more than 15 years and have never had a problem with any of them. Very quiet, good bite, low dust, and long-lasting.
The following users liked this post:
Uno99 (05-05-23)
Old 05-05-23, 05:33 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,175 Likes on 1,003 Posts

It is better if both front and rear brake pads are the same brand and model so they have similar friction characteristics. You do not want to unbalance the brake system with different pads at each end of the car and since you plan to replace all of them you should keep hunting for something that is in stock for front and rear. Why are you going semi-metallic? The OEM pads are ceramic which are lower dust and there are many more options in the ceramic pad category. FYI I think Rock Auto ships to Canada and they have a great selection.
I have been running Raybestos Element 3 hybrid pads (they are ceramic and semi-metallic) for several years and have found them to be quick stopping, quiet and low dust. They are also relatively inexpensive at Rock Auto. I have installed them on 3 other cars for myself and relatives.
Rock Auto sells discount packages with Raybestos brake pads and their coated rotors. I was just looking there for my Sister's Honda.
​​​​​​https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...+pad+kit,13824

Last edited by Clutchless; 05-05-23 at 05:39 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Uno99 (05-05-23)
Old 05-05-23, 11:40 AM
Uno99
10th Gear

Thanks for the advice! Shipping is almost $300 from rock auto, plus I gotta pay Canadian taxes.
I might be able to find a cheat code though, or find the same thing locally.
Old 05-05-23, 11:59 AM
MattRX
Racer

Received 780 Likes on 559 Posts

I got my front rotors from Toyota for about 80 CAD each w/ free shipping. I got the rears from Rockauto (Advics - looked identical to OEM which were also Advics) because locally they are too expensive. The rears cost less to ship from Rock because they're a lot lighter than the fronts. The Centric rotors I have on my Highlander are nicer than the Advics which don't have as thick of a coating.
Old 05-05-23, 12:05 PM
Uno99
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Clutchless
It is better if both front and rear brake pads are the same brand and model so they have similar friction characteristics. You do not want to unbalance the brake system with different pads at each end of the car and since you plan to replace all of them you should keep hunting for something that is in stock for front and rear. Why are you going semi-metallic? The OEM pads are ceramic which are lower dust and there are many more options in the ceramic pad category. FYI I think Rock Auto ships to Canada and they have a great selection.
I have been running Raybestos Element 3 hybrid pads (they are ceramic and semi-metallic) for several years and have found them to be quick stopping, quiet and low dust. They are also relatively inexpensive at Rock Auto. I have installed them on 3 other cars for myself and relatives.
Rock Auto sells discount packages with Raybestos brake pads and their coated rotors. I was just looking there for my Sister's Honda.
​​​​​​https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...+pad+kit,13824
sorry for the multi-post but I think I've found my best possible set here in Canada. All Centric brand, and I found they offer premium and super premium. Does this look better, Clutchless? They don't seem to sell a "super" premium rotor, but I presume they are all compatible...

Old 05-05-23, 07:44 PM
ColAngus
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

I melted a set of Centric pads on 4 laps at a track in my Nissan. Literally from brand new, bedded in and down to metal in a gentle AutoX track day. The noise squealer gored the one rotor and all. Everything else might be fine, but I will live the rest of my life without buying cheap pads like that again. Cheap calipers can be justified, but cheap pads are insane and cheap rotors aren't much better.
Old 05-06-23, 04:55 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,175 Likes on 1,003 Posts

The Centric Premium Rotors are coated to resist rust, which is better than OEM, so they should be an excellent selection.
If you do not take your RX to the track, then those pads and rotors should be fine for daily driving.
Be sure to bed the brakes in after installation.
Old 05-06-23, 05:12 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Taking an RX to the track would be a massive waste of time and money.
Old 05-06-23, 11:26 AM
ColAngus
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Right, but it speaks to the quality even though an AutoX won't be in the cards. Whatever OEM pads I had worked without any issues. Fancy Hawks worked fine. Centric melted.
Old 05-06-23, 04:55 PM
Uno99
10th Gear

Originally Posted by ColAngus
Right, but it speaks to the quality even though an AutoX won't be in the cards. Whatever OEM pads I had worked without any issues. Fancy Hawks worked fine. Centric melted.
Did you have the normal,premium, or super premium Centric pads? Reading a bit about them, it seems there's a good bit of difference between them.

Quick Reply: 2010 RX350 DIY Brakes vs Lexus Dealer