RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Show me your phone mount

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-16, 11:15 AM
steerpike
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default smartphone mounting options

The RX350 is somewhat lacking in places to mount a smartphone (principally for when using the GPS feature of my phone, which works better than the built-in NAV). I've found that I can rest it horizontally on the ledge behind the steering wheel, between the RPM/speed dials, but reaching for that location is a bit dangerous while moving.

I did try a 'CD slot adapter', that slides into the CD slot and holds the phone magnetically. This worked great, but slightly damages (visually) the 'skirt' or 'shield' that protects the CD opening. Vent-mounted options seem unsuccessful also.

I did find a vendor 'ProClip' that has a custom mount for the car ( http://www.proclipusa.com/dashboard-...-350/2013.cmsv ) . Is that the best option? Are there other similar custom solutions?
The following users liked this post:
Sonnyblu62 (05-16-21)
Old 07-09-16, 02:22 PM
steerpike
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nuphan
This one sticks to the dash pretty well.

I have three different suction mounts from past endeavors, and none of them will even think of sticking in that area! Did you coat the surface with something? I just cleaned all three suction cups, no difference.

I've also tried sticking to the small glass 'port-hole' in front of the rear-view mirrors; they stick but only for a short while - I suspect the 'lexus' wording on the glass surface presents enough roughness to break any seal.

Looks like the custom ProClip mount is going to be my best option.
Old 07-10-16, 12:37 AM
haidensity
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by steerpike
Looks like the custom ProClip mount is going to be my best option.
There really is no better option, in my opinion, than the proclip. Yes, pricey but nothing I've tried is as secure while not compromising visibility (of either the windshield or the nav screen). I modded the center-vent mount to work with a clip thingy and it doesn't block anything. Highly recommended.
Old 07-10-16, 01:40 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I still got my windshield suction mount, but now I prefer and use the following:

Get the following one:
https://amzn.com/B012NFIXS0

Do not get the following one:
https://amzn.com/B0169Y2XYG

I have ordered both. The first one is better due to stronger magnets and the "stub" sticks out longer so with "recessed vents" it will still work with the phone. Whereas the second one the stub is too short and will not work in vehicles where the vents are "recessed". The first one is around $12. The cheaper second one is around $7.

Also if you are traveling a lot and use rental cars, this item is very small and you can take it with you. Just make sure to remember to remove it when you return the car!!!

Originally Posted by Ciege
I'm searching for a method to mount my smartphone in my 450h.
I've been leaning towards a proclip mount but haven't settled on which of the 3 hard mounts they offer. I don't really want a windshield mount.

So, if you have your phone mounted, snap a pic and share it please!
Old 07-10-16, 10:26 AM
steerpike
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexusrus
I still got my windshield suction mount, but now I prefer and use the following:

Get the following one:
https://amzn.com/B012NFIXS0

Do not get the following one:
https://amzn.com/B0169Y2XYG

I have ordered both. The first one is better due to stronger magnets and the "stub" sticks out longer so with "recessed vents" it will still work with the phone. Whereas the second one the stub is too short and will not work in vehicles where the vents are "recessed". The first one is around $12. The cheaper second one is around $7.

So the first one (the one you recommend) clips successfully into either of the two RX350 center vents? The RX 350 center vents are not like most vents, with only one horizontal 'louvre' to connect to, and a large gap above and below the louvre. Does the 'stub' project deep inside the vent so that it connects to the vertical louvres behind? And does it effectively 'lock' the vent in a 'straight out' position, such that air flows straight out? I presume you can't adjust the airflow direction much (if at all), and I presume the design is such that the mount does not push the vent down too much due to the weight of the attached phone? It looks like the 'v' shape will cause a wedging action, and the four prong design allows it to lock onto horizontal and vertical louvres.

I guess for $12 you can't go wrong ... I'm just collecting a pile of failed mounts!
Attached Thumbnails Show me your phone mount-20160710_100900_crop-sml600.jpg   Show me your phone mount-20160710_100907_crop-sml600.jpg  
Old 07-10-16, 03:53 PM
greeknasty
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ive attatched photos of my proclip mount. best money spent IMO. sits very nicely and sturdy.
Attached Thumbnails Show me your phone mount-img_20160710_174948.jpg   Show me your phone mount-img_20160710_174954.jpg  
Old 07-12-16, 12:35 AM
kahuna415
Driver School Candidate

Sorry no photos but I will attach the Amazon link for a Arkon Car Rail or Truck Seat/Floor Mount.
I can put an iPad or my 6s Plus with no problem. Can buy a smaller phone mount for $9.95 extra. I tried cd mount, didn't work, cup holder mount, didn't work.
This Arkon is the best and very sturdy yet bendable. Cost is $34.95.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 07-12-16, 07:47 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

I'll take some pics in the next couple of days. My wife drives the RX/LX. I drive thd RCF/CT. As far as I know this works well in the RX for her and she is very particular. We tried the windshield mounts that cost more the $69 and no go for her bc it bounces up aND down. She did not like anything attached to the windshield. Also tried one of the mounts that stands up and plugs into the cig lighter and sticks out and multi adjustable to any angle. Even this was a no go bc she would hit it when shifting onto and out of Park (This does not work in the RX/RCF bc the cig lighter is inside the center console. Ok in the LX/CT.

Hopefully will have some time to post pics in the RX soon.

So the first one (the one you recommend) clips successfully into either of the two RX350 center vents? The RX 350 center vents are not like most vents, with only one horizontal 'louvre' to connect to, and a large gap above and below the louvre. Does the 'stub' project deep inside the vent so that it connects to the vertical louvres behind? And does it effectively 'lock' the vent in a 'straight out' position, such that air flows straight out? I presume you can't adjust the airflow direction much (if at all), and I presume the design is such that the mount does not push the vent down too much due to the weight of the attached phone? It looks like the 'v' shape will cause a wedging action, and the four prong design allows it to lock onto horizontal and vertical louvres.

I guess for $12 you can't go wrong ... I'm just collecting a pile of failed mounts!
Old 07-13-16, 06:47 AM
tkill12
Driver School Candidate

I ordered this $12 one last week from amazon. Its been in my car a few days and so far its working great. I put the thin metal plate inside my otterbox cover. My phone is pretty heavy (droid turbo) but the magnet is strong enough to hold through the otterbox and so far I don't see any movement/vibration as I drive. The wedge shape, the heft of the magnet in the head, and a rubberized coating on the mount help to hold it solid within the vent. There is some loose movement up and down with the vent, but so far it hasn't been a problem for me. For the price and size this has been a good one for me so far. Time will tell how it holds up.
Old 07-13-16, 04:40 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Here is the pics of the $12 one on our 2013 RX450H with a big iPhone 6 Plus attached. My wife had the metal plate attached towards the bottom of the iPhone instead of like mine in the middle of my Samsung Galaxy S5.

I'll post more pics of the cheaper one in my CT200H which dId not work well due to the SHORTED stub and with the AC vent recessed ....... it just will not reach out far enough to the phone.

I'll take some pics in the next couple of days. My wife drives the RX/LX. I drive thd RCF/CT. As far as I know this works well in the RX for her and she is very particular. We tried the windshield mounts that cost more the $69 and no go for her bc it bounces up aND down. She did not like anything attached to the windshield. Also tried one of the mounts that stands up and plugs into the cig lighter and sticks out and multi adjustable to any angle. Even this was a no go bc she would hit it when shifting onto and out of Park (This does not work in the RX/RCF bc the cig lighter is inside the center console. Ok in the LX/CT.

Hopefully will have some time to post pics in the RX soon.

Also BELOW is the cheaper one on my CT200H. As you can see the short stub does not stick out far enough and I had to hold the phone with my hand (also the magnet is not as strong)

!!!
This cheaper one is NO GOOD. The stub is too short.

Last edited by lexusrus; 07-13-16 at 05:45 PM.
Old 07-13-16, 05:48 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Yes, the $12 I had recommended above works well. I stick it in the "lowest vent lever, if more than one" so that it will anchor in place better.

Originally Posted by tkill12
I ordered this $12 one last week from amazon. Its been in my car a few days and so far its working great. I put the thin metal plate inside my otterbox cover. My phone is pretty heavy (droid turbo) but the magnet is strong enough to hold through the otterbox and so far I don't see any movement/vibration as I drive. The wedge shape, the heft of the magnet in the head, and a rubberized coating on the mount help to hold it solid within the vent. There is some loose movement up and down with the vent, but so far it hasn't been a problem for me. For the price and size this has been a good one for me so far. Time will tell how it holds up.
Old 07-19-16, 08:17 AM
jclem
Pole Position

I chose 'iKross' (no it's Not just for iphones which I don't have). It's only $8 or 9 on Amazon. I didn't want to block my vents. It's quite versitile....I have one in my RX and one in my Ford truck.
Attached Thumbnails Show me your phone mount-2016-07-19-11.08.11.jpg  
Old 07-20-16, 02:09 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

It might work well too.

I just don't want to put a "sticky" thing on the dash.

Also I think the vent can serve to "cool" the phone when WAZE is running since the WAZE app tend to heat up the phone a lot.

Originally Posted by jclem
I chose 'iKross' (no it's Not just for iphones which I don't have). It's only $8 or 9 on Amazon. I didn't want to block my vents. It's quite versitile....I have one in my RX and one in my Ford truck.
Old 07-20-16, 04:01 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts

It might work well too.

I just don't want to put a "sticky" thing on the dash.

Also I think the vent can serve to "cool" the phone when WAZE is running since the WAZE app tend to heat up the phone a lot.
i went with a cd player mount after giving up finding a flat surface. I came to the realization that i don't use cds anymore. The ac vents above keep my phone nice and cool when i use waze.
It works well , cheap and easy to install/remove.

similiar to this one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Magnetic-Cel...kAAOSw14xWPn7S
Old 07-20-16, 03:11 PM
airboss
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jclem
May have to get one of these. Unfortunately, I keep my phone in a plastic case.....

Quick Reply: Show me your phone mount