RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models
Old 12-15-14, 03:08 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tires and Wheels Guide
Print Wikipost

TPMS reset switch - easy way to find without looking

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-19, 01:09 PM
auntrout
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just adjusted the tire pressure since the dealer had them at 37 psi and went to this thread and my owners manual to try to reset the TPMS. No luck finding the reset switch. Based on the directions given in this thread I'm assuming it is not visible when you look under the area near the steering wheel.
Old 02-23-19, 07:45 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 256 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by auntrout
I just adjusted the tire pressure since the dealer had them at 37 psi and went to this thread and my owners manual to try to reset the TPMS. No luck finding the reset switch. Based on the directions given in this thread I'm assuming it is not visible when you look under the area near the steering wheel.
Page 686 of the 2015 RX350 owners manual shows where the TLMS reset button is: https://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/d...f/OM48D65U.pdf

It's easier to search the online owners manuals that try to find information in the hard copy manuals. You can also download the online manual to your PC which might make it easier to search.
Old 02-23-19, 10:48 AM
auntrout
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kansas
Page 686 of the 2015 RX350 owners manual shows where the TLMS reset button is: https://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/d...f/OM48D65U.pdf

It's easier to search the online owners manuals that try to find information in the hard copy manuals. You can also download the online manual to your PC which might make it easier to search.
Thanks Kansas. That is the page of the owner's manual I was looking at and for the life of me I could not locate the switch. Is it somewhere under the dash so you can not actually see the switch but have to just feel for it. I appreciate the link to the owners manual.
Old 02-23-19, 01:04 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Thanks Kansas. That is the page of the owner's manual I was looking at and for the life of me I could not locate the switch. Is it somewhere under the dash so you can not actually see the switch but have to just feel for it. I appreciate the link to the owners manual.
OK, then here is a YouTube video that shows it:
Old 02-23-19, 02:34 PM
auntrout
Driver School Candidate

OK, then here is a YouTube video that shows it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhZsDNUUd1A
Thanks so much Kansas. I found the switch and reset the TPMS. The location of that switch has to be one of most stupid design features I've come across so far with the RX350. In my other vehicle I can just reset my TPMS via my on board computer display. The YouTube video was also a little concerning when the guy measured his tire pressure and they were down to 24 psi and he said he never received any kind of warning from the TPMS. Thanks again.
Old 02-23-19, 04:49 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

The location of that switch has to be one of most stupid design features I've come across so far with the RX350.
It should be easy to find now that you know where it is. I can understand putting a switch that isn't used very often in an out of the way location.

The YouTube video was also a little concerning when the guy measured his tire pressure and they were down to 24 psi and he said he never received any kind of warning from the TPMS.
The tire pressures at which the low pressure warning light in the instrument cluster illuminates are defined in a vehicle ECU at the factory. IMO, car makers often set the minimum pressures in the ECU's too low. I don't know what the minimum ECU tire pressure for the gen 3 RX is but I know that it is only 26 psi for one vehicle we have that has a recommended tire pressure of 35 psi.

The guy in that video sure is clueless if he set his tire pressures to 32 psi and didn't check them again until an entire year later when he found the pressures ranged from 25 to 27 PSI.

Tire pressures rise and fall about 1 psi for each 10 degrees of ambient temperature change. So, if one sets their tire pressures to 32 psi on a summer day when it is 90 degrees Fahrenheit, the pressures will be at about 25 psi on a Winter day when it is 20 degrees Fahrenheit assuming there has not been any air leakage that would cause tire pressures to be even lower.

Tire pressures should be checked at least monthly if ambient temperatures are consistent - more often if ambient temperatures are fluctuating. For where I live (eastern Kansas), I assume an average Winter temperature of 20 degrees Fahrenheit when setting tire pressures. If it is 50 degrees in my garage when I set the pressures "cold" and it is 20 degrees outside, I set all the tire pressures to at least 3 psi above the pressures stated on the door jams. When the temperature fell to below zero a couple of weeks ago, I added three more psi to all the tires to compensate. I use a small portable AC/DC air compressor to adjust tire pressures.

As Spring approaches and ambient temperatures increase, I may bleed some air out of the tires but probably not much since all our vehicles are on Winter tires on extra wheels. I'll be putting the summer wheels/tires on our vehicles in four to six weeks depending on weather forecast. At that time, I will reprogram the vehicle ECU's with the TLMS codes for the summer wheels using an ATEQ Quickset programming tool.

OK, maybe I'm a little obsessive about tire pressures but correct pressures are important for vehicle safety and making tires last as long as possible.
Old 02-23-19, 05:32 PM
auntrout
Driver School Candidate

It should be easy to find now that you know where it is. I can understand putting a switch that isn't used very often in an out of the way location.

The tire pressures at which the low pressure warning light in the instrument cluster illuminates are defined in a vehicle ECU at the factory. IMO, car makers often set the minimum pressures in the ECU's too low. I don't know what the minimum ECU tire pressure for the gen 3 RX is but I know that it is only 26 psi for one vehicle we have that has a recommended tire pressure of 35 psi.

The guy in that video sure is clueless if he set his tire pressures to 32 psi and didn't check them again until an entire year later when he found the pressures ranged from 25 to 27 PSI.

Tire pressures rise and fall about 1 psi for each 10 degrees of ambient temperature change. So, if one sets their tire pressures to 32 psi on a summer day when it is 90 degrees Fahrenheit, the pressures will be at about 25 psi on a Winter day when it is 20 degrees Fahrenheit assuming there has not been any air leakage that would cause tire pressures to be even lower.

Tire pressures should be checked at least monthly if ambient temperatures are consistent - more often if ambient temperatures are fluctuating. For where I live (eastern Kansas), I assume an average Winter temperature of 20 degrees Fahrenheit when setting tire pressures. If it is 50 degrees in my garage when I set the pressures "cold" and it is 20 degrees outside, I set all the tire pressures to at least 3 psi above the pressures stated on the door jams. When the temperature fell to below zero a couple of weeks ago, I added three more psi to all the tires to compensate. I use a small portable AC/DC air compressor to adjust tire pressures.

As Spring approaches and ambient temperatures increase, I may bleed some air out of the tires but probably not much since all our vehicles are on Winter tires on extra wheels. I'll be putting the summer wheels/tires on our vehicles in four to six weeks depending on weather forecast. At that time, I will reprogram the vehicle ECU's with the TLMS codes for the summer wheels using an ATEQ Quickset programming tool.

OK, maybe I'm a little obsessive about tire pressures but correct pressures are important for vehicle safety and making tires last as long as possible.
I agree, I thought it was a little funny when the guy said he hadn't checked his tire in a year. Out of curiosity, do you use a dial pressure gauge? I'm looking for one that is more accurate than the one I currently use. Do you have a gauge you'd recommend?
Old 02-23-19, 06:05 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

I'm looking for one that is more accurate than the one I currently use. Do you have a gauge you'd recommend?
The tire gauge I use most is digital and came with an air compressor model that is no longer made. I've got a variety of digital, dial and the old "stick" type gauges.

If I was buying a tire gauge today, I'd probably just look for a highly rated one on Amazon or maybe buy the Dill digital gauge from Tire Rack simply because I've been happy with other products from Dill Air Control: https://www.tirerack.com/accessories...ILL5900&ID=284
Old 02-23-19, 08:40 PM
auntrout
Driver School Candidate

The tire gauge I use most is digital and came with an air compressor model that is no longer made. I've got a variety of digital, dial and the old "stick" type gauges.

If I was buying a tire gauge today, I'd probably just look for a highly rated one on Amazon or maybe buy the Dill digital gauge from Tire Rack simply because I've been happy with other products from Dill Air Control: https://www.tirerack.com/accessories...ILL5900&ID=284
Thanks I'll check out the Dill.
Old 04-22-19, 07:54 AM
Kidanel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tpms light on

The cruise control will not work when tpms light is on.

Originally Posted by FastFord
I don't know how to turn them off, but during the winter months when the other rims/tires are on the car, I use electrical tape to hide the light. I'm not bypassing anything or disabling the system. I even checked with my insurance company because I get a discount for winter tires and they said if I don't want TPMS, I don't have to have them as far as they are concerned. I do however check the pressure often during the winter months. Trac control and all other functions work whether TPMS is getting a reading or not.
Old 04-24-19, 07:00 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Kidanel
The cruise control will not work when tpms light is on.
False. It's just a light, nothing more.
Old 05-17-19, 03:55 PM
Roscol
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Tire pressure warning reset switch?

I’m a recent new owner of a 2010 RX450h (oct2009 build date), been learning a lot on these threads but now I have a stumper for everyone.
I do have TPMS that is working but can’t seem to find any way to calibrate or reset the system.
according to the manual I should have Tire Pressure Warning reset switch. I can’t see It?

Old 05-18-19, 08:17 AM
Roscol
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Yeah, I found it, it’s about 20 feet or so under the dash. If I ever wanted to hide something, I now know where to put it, lol.
Old 04-03-24, 10:49 AM
Miketheboss
2nd gear

Thank you for this post, i had tried everything and couldn't locate the switch.Thanks to your threat someone posted a video showing exact location
The following users liked this post:
KingCreole (04-05-24)
Old 04-03-24, 10:50 AM
Miketheboss
2nd gear

Thank you for this video, It was great help in locating the switch
The following users liked this post:
KingCreole (04-05-24)

Quick Reply: TPMS reset switch - easy way to find without looking