RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Today I hit a German bicyclist

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-12, 05:14 PM
Lindareal
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Today I hit a German bicyclist

I have had my 2010 450h for about 2 months and my only complaint is the blind spot caused by the biggest side mirrors I have ever seen on an SUV. Today I came to a 4 way stop on a quiet country road in Pennsylvania, looked both ways, and moved forward at my new slow speed to increase my mpg. Suddenly a cyclist was in front of the car and I knocked him to the ground. State Police, trip to emergency room, and then a repair at the bike shop and in my opinion, all because I did not see him at the stop sign to my left because the mirror filled my line of sight to my left. Also a problem to my right but not as extreme. I keep thinking my height 5' 1 1/2" does not help. I think I am as high on the seat as it will allow so has anyone had the same experience and does anyone have a suggestion? If not, I think the car is going....way too scary for me.
The biker was a tourist travelling with his father and brother from Boston to Washington,DC. They were so sweet.

Last edited by Lindareal; 08-10-12 at 05:17 PM. Reason: adding comment
Old 08-10-12, 06:31 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

Lindareal, welcome to CL. I moved your thread over to the 3rd gen forum. Sorry to hear about your accident. It sounds like the bicyclist wasn't seriously hurt. You have to be grateful for that. If it makes you feel better, I had a similar incident happen to me a few weeks ago. I didn't see someone walking in the crosswalk to the left of me. I stopped in time but it was pretty scary. I can only suggest doing what I do which is to check to the left and right probably more times than needed. And then proceed slowly.
Old 08-10-12, 06:40 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Linda, a hearty 2nd welcome to the forum and also grateful it wasn't worse. When I got my car a little over three years ago I noticed the front quarter (both sides) blind spot immediately and just started leaning my head left and right to see around (especially at stops). It seems annoying at 1st but later you don't even realize you're doing it.

It's a great car but like almost all cars there is something we'd like to see different. But it's manageable. I'm a shorty too but a couple of inches higher at 5'4".

Last edited by Cruiter; 08-10-12 at 06:41 PM. Reason: correction
Old 08-10-12, 08:19 PM
Lindareal
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for putting my post in the correct spot and thanks for the feedback. I love the car with the one exception. I received a reply from Jim Myers who has my exact car including the color. He is a little taller than I and he suggests leaning forward ....says you get so use to it that you do it without thinking. The German e-mailed me from a pub in Newark,DE where they are spending tonight. I pray he wakes up and is able to pedal. Again thanks for the support.
Old 08-10-12, 08:56 PM
EMSLEXUSRX
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have to do the same thing as Jim when I'm coming out of the parking garage where I work. Monthly parkers in my garage have a sticker with a 4-digit number on it that you have to put on the lower left corner of the windshield so that when you come up to the cashier, she/he looks at your sticker so that you're not charged for the daily rate for parking in the garage. Of course, the cashier is in a booth, and between her craning her neck to see what the number is on my sticker and me craning my neck to see when she gives me the go ahead to leave is a daily thing to deal with when I park in that garage.

I do feel that it can be a bit more challenging to park in a parking spot with the 2010 RX, than it was with the '07 RX.
I have a hard time judging if I'm correctly between the lines.
Old 08-10-12, 09:04 PM
SAPNY
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I understand that its the mirror (physically) which blocks your view, but this is a good place for me to recommend something I am using - Available from any car shop - They really help and are very inexpensive
Hope everyone feels better
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM6142991401P

Last edited by SAPNY; 08-11-12 at 09:52 PM.
Old 08-10-12, 09:57 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

the problem is the think A pillar and even though they put that small window in the corner, it doesnt really help. Sorry to hear about it but glad they didnt press charges
Old 08-11-12, 08:08 AM
BCRCornet
Driver

Default A-pillar Obstructs Vision

Originally Posted by RXSF
the problem is the think A pillar and even though they put that small window in the corner, it doesnt really help...
+1

I've found that, not only is the A-pillar quite thick, but it's located relatively far forward in my line of sight (compared to other cars I've driven.) At stop signs, I've taken to moving my head left and right to look "around" the A-pillar before concluding that there's nobody "hiding" behind the A-pillar before proceeding.
Old 08-11-12, 08:28 AM
afpj
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

At 5'4" I have the seat raised and have no issues. I actually like the bigger mirrors compared to 2nd gen. I guess I've never noticed the head bobbing motions while looking around at stop signs. I have to thank my husband for that and taking me up in tail draggers where you cannot see straight ahead. Glad no one was seriously injured.
Old 08-11-12, 04:13 PM
Lindareal
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks for the support but

Today I hit a German bicyclist-lexus-mirror.jpg

Actually it is NOT the pillar ....it is the mirror that blocks my view. I am trying to add a photo that I took at the scene of the accident and put the camera where my line of sight would be.
Old 08-11-12, 08:34 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Can i be the devil's advocate here and blame the cyclist for not Stopping in a 4 way stop sign?
or was he there first before you reach the stop sign?

if it was the second case, then may i suggest looking LEFT and Right quickly before you reach the STOP sign.
a Booster seat will also help you.

Personally, i like the big side mirror.

Last edited by markrivers; 08-12-12 at 04:24 PM.
Old 08-12-12, 06:01 AM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts

I'm 6' with a long torso, so I've never noticed how much the mirrors could block your view. I sit with the seat all the way down and I have clear sight lines all around the front of the car. Perhaps sitting on a pillow would help. My girlfriend is 5'0" and she has to sit on a pillow in her CRV to be able to see.
Old 08-12-12, 09:59 AM
BCRCornet
Driver

Default Mirror? Or Pillar?

Originally Posted by Lindareal
Actually it is NOT the pillar ....it is the mirror that blocks my view...
It appears that the problem is the mirror if you're of shorter stature. The pillar is the problem if you're on the taller side.
Old 08-12-12, 11:04 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

its just the nature of the beast, we cant do anything about it. If the mirrors were smaller (which Id personally dislike), then blind spots from the side/rear of the vehicle would be enormous as well.
Old 08-12-12, 05:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

I don't have an RX but I've driven them plenty of times. I don't think the mirror is any larger than other SUV mirrors, in fact I can think of several midsized SUVs with larger mirrors. Our Jeep has similarly sized mirrors.

If the cyclist came to that stop sign at the same time as you, you had the right of way and he was in the wrong. In my experience bikers often ignore the rules of the road, but they are just vehicles when it comes to right of way.

Quick Reply: Today I hit a German bicyclist