RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Anyone tried to install head up display?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-12, 10:35 AM
superfly32
Rookie

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

And don't forget...if you wear polarized sunglasses....you won't see the HUD
Old 08-13-12, 01:30 PM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by superfly32
And don't forget...if you wear polarized sunglasses....you won't see the HUD
That is completely false. I drive with my sunglasses on all the time (Ray Ban polarized) and I can see my HUD just fine. I know it sounds like a "First World Problem" as my kid would say but when I had a loaner Ct200H for a week the HUD was the thing I first and most missed.
Old 12-05-15, 08:50 AM
DeepStPetF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible Solution

Something like this looks like a cheap, easy and complete solution to the problem of adding a HUD
... There are many like this on Amazon and even include GPS NAV data through ODB2 cable... I may actually buy 3 of these (1 first of course) to fit all 3 of our cars... works in any ODB2 (1996+) and they come with a screen that addresses the safety film issue (double refection) mentioned above. It's worth a shot for the price for sure. I'll post my results.
Old 03-11-18, 08:35 AM
North
Driver

Question Adding Heads Up Display

I think that this has been covered but I never could find anything that showed someone had SUCESSFULLY installed or had the dealership install a HUD after the fact. This is truly the one thing I wished my car had. It is a RX 450h ultra premium but did not have the HUD included. It would be a great feature to add to all the other ones on this car. In my simple mind it looks like you could just cut out the dash where the unit would go(there is already an impression there) purchase the unit, and the cluster of three buttons, perhaps the mounting brackets all which are available and connect to the wiring which seems to be there on the Japanese RX 450h models and that would be it. I know that the windshield is different however what about just applying the film available for the aftermarket kits so it would be readable? Again I'm sure I have overly simplified this very complex undertaking but just curious. Thanks!! Tim
Old 03-11-18, 03:44 PM
tempestv8
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Hi Tim,

I suspect it would be a fairly difficult task, and I'm not all that impressed with the 3rd gen RX HUD as it's pretty basic. On the newer NX models with HUD, there is now colour, which makes the RX display seem very "first generation" HUD.
The following users liked this post:
North (03-11-18)
Old 03-11-18, 04:00 PM
North
Driver

Thanks so much Lawrance! I am going to talk with my dealership about this however my hopes are not very high. Just something I could wish for! I'm sure I would be better off just getting the after market one that goes in the OBD port.
Old 03-11-18, 04:05 PM
North
Driver

Hey Lawrance, on a side note my RX 450h is at the dealership and they gave me a BRAND new RX 350, even though I cannot stand that "fish mouth" front that sucker will fly! The interior is really incredible you can turn the wheel with one finger as the power steering is amazing! Maybe one day they will do something about that angry spaceship front end!!!
Old 03-13-18, 03:01 PM
SkiMe
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

There may be a chance that some things are pre-wired, just not installed.

I was thinking about installing a BSM switch, mirrors, sensors....but the sensors are pretty dang expensive (even used). But, I did a little exploring and at the switch location, there is a pigtail wiring that would plug into the BSM switch. So, at least for that part, the vehicle has been pre-wired for options not installed in the vehicle. I believe I also saw two pigtails for each of the two sensor behind the rear bumper. So......it might be possible. But also, expensive.

With that said, ours came with the HUD and I really do love it! I wish all my vehicles came with it!
North (03-14-18)
Old 03-13-18, 04:31 PM
tempestv8
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

The alternative might be to buy an aftermarket unit like a Hudly.

https://gethudly.com/
North (03-14-18)
Old 03-14-18, 05:49 PM
North
Driver

I thought about pulling off the dummy plate where the HUD buttons go to the lower right of the steering wheel to see if I see any pigtails, wiring etc. Just hope I could get the plate back on if there was not!
Old 03-18-18, 09:38 AM
North
Driver

It looks as though you would not in fact have to replace the whole dash. There is a small piece next to the windshield I think they call it Windshield defrost panel nozzle. It seems as though you could just pop the one out that doesn't have the cutout for the HUD with the panel that does. I have saw several panels with the HUD on line for sale. I just wonder if you added this to the car without the HUD would it cause any problems with the computer? I do also think that the wire is there. Any thoughts. Thanks, Tim
Old 03-20-18, 02:28 PM
North
Driver

Does anyone know if there are "any" RX 450h ultra premium package that has the Heads Up Display. I talked with Lexus parts dealer and he looked at many diagrams with the wiring harness and he could not fine even one example of a RX450H 2013 ultra premium package with the HUD? This is very curious, anybody have, heard of or seen one with this combination? What's strange is that there is a pig tail that is attached to the back of the dummy plate where the HUD buttons go on the bottom right of the dash next to the steering wheel. I just wonder where this wire goes? Does it end up at the top of the dash where the HUD would have been? I may pop up the garnish on top of the dash just to see? Any ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!!
Old 03-20-18, 05:36 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by North
Hey Lawrance, on a side note my RX 450h is at the dealership and they gave me a BRAND new RX 350, even though I cannot stand that "fish mouth" front that sucker will fly! The interior is really incredible you can turn the wheel with one finger as the power steering is amazing! Maybe one day they will do something about that angry spaceship front end!!!
I agree. The front end of almost every modern day lexus jets out for no apparent reason. there's a ton of empty space in there and it makes no sense to me whatsoever. Im not sure why they arent more judicious about not having extra , unneeded overhang. I think its just the design elements they want to incorporate. It's just annoying when parking, braking, turning etc to have such a long nose.
Old 03-24-18, 08:07 AM
North
Driver

Hello again, still trying to figure out the heads up installation. I tested the dummy plate pigtail inside the car where the HUD buttons go and sure enough there is power to it! I took of the defroster nozzle behind the dash board but cannot figure out where the pigtail for the HUD is located!!!, Anyone have any suggestions or even better pictures or diagram? I had a guy from one of the Lexus dealership send me a diagram of the wiring harness however not a lot of help, it shows the plug that I think goes into the HUD unit however the connector is called meter mirror sub-assembly? Anyway the "beat goes on". Perhaps I will finally figure this out. Thanks again!! Tim
Old 03-24-18, 09:06 AM
SkiMe
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Tim, I have a 13' with HUD so let me know what pics you need. If I can access easily, i'I' take some pictures for you....
North (03-24-18)

Quick Reply: Anyone tried to install head up display?