RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

450h FWD vs. AWD

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-12, 12:23 PM
saz25
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 450h FWD vs. AWD

Hi all,
Can anyone talk about the pros and cons of the FWD vs. the AWD on the RX450h?

thanks,
Steve
Old 08-13-12, 12:34 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

When I purchased my FWD 450h, a good friend of mine purchased the exact same vehicle in AWD. After the first year, we were discussing the AWD/FWD trade-off over lunch. He said the AWD system was just extra weight being carried around and had not helped him in any way. We live in N. CA and don't really need AWD. I noticed he was averaging a little more than 2 MPG less than I was getting. I have never noticed any traction problems with my FWD 450h. I own a second car, Subaru Outback, that I use for fun trips and it has an exceptional AWD system if needed. I have always owned at least one AWD vehicle since 1985 and do not feel that I have compromised in any way with the FWD 450h. I don't use it in snow. But, the car has a snow mode that can be enabled. If I lived in a winter climate, I think I could rationalize the AWD option.

I haven't looked at the 2013 configurations, but in prior years there were some options that only came on the AWD versions.

Last edited by UCSB; 08-13-12 at 12:37 PM.
Old 08-13-12, 01:26 PM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here where I live I have felt the AWD kick in a few times. That being said we get a healthy dose of the frozen sunshine known as snow. I would not be without it.
Old 08-13-12, 02:04 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Mine is just FWD and the few times I've been in the snow it performed very well. Why would I want AWD the next time though ??? I'll tell ya, it's the only way you're going to get factory tow hardware . Oh yea, most of them have some extra toys available as options.
Originally Posted by saz25
Hi all,
Can anyone talk about the pros and cons of the FWD vs. the AWD on the RX450h?

thanks,
Steve

Last edited by Cruiter; 08-13-12 at 02:05 PM. Reason: info
Old 08-13-12, 02:22 PM
BertL
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I've had AWD since my first RX in 1999. FWD would likely be just fine from a pure safety perspective 99% of the time with me living in SoCal, but at the cost of 1-2 MPG and a small percentage uplift at time of purchase, I will continue to have AWD for the piece of mind it provides ...and as Jim says, I am then able to have the Lexus towing package for maximum flexibility and plugging in my bike carrier.
Old 08-13-12, 06:16 PM
HWDRX
Driver School Candidate

Default Only the AWD is warranted for towing.

The only reason to buy the AWD is for the towing. The FWD is not rated to tow at all and will not be warranted. I bought the FWD model and when I went to put on a factory hitch the dealer would not. I made them trade it for an AWD.

Other then this, I can not detect a difference. The tow rating is due to a transmission cooler only found in the AWD. I am quite certain I have my facts straight. Lastly, if you stomp the throttle at the light both front and rear motors will pull.

Ed
Old 08-13-12, 06:34 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 171 Likes on 145 Posts

No roof rack on the FWD either which may partially account for the slightly better mileage Jim gets. I wouldn't consider getting anything but AWD in the northeast between winter and monsoon seasons.
Old 08-13-12, 07:37 PM
EMSLEXUSRX
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HWDRX
The only reason to buy the AWD is for the towing. The FWD is not rated to tow at all and will not be warranted. I bought the FWD model and when I went to put on a factory hitch the dealer would not. I made them trade it for an AWD.

Other then this, I can not detect a difference. The tow rating is due to a transmission cooler only found in the AWD. I am quite certain I have my facts straight. Lastly, if you stomp the throttle at the light both front and rear motors will pull.

Ed
I have a FWD RX, and I thought I saw on my sticker with all the contents that the vehicle has along with the price that my vehicle had the tow prep package, which includes the transmission cooler, heavy duty alternator and radiator(ball mount not included), so I must be able to do some towing with the FWD.
Old 08-14-12, 05:09 AM
BertL
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by EMSLEXUSRX
I have a FWD RX, and I thought I saw on my sticker with all the contents that the vehicle has along with the price that my vehicle had the tow prep package, which includes the transmission cooler, heavy duty alternator and radiator(ball mount not included), so I must be able to do some towing with the FWD.
Yes, 350 can have towing prep and hitch on FWD and AWD, but on the 450h which was the OPs question, it remains only available on the AWD as an option.
Old 08-14-12, 06:11 PM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Don't think you could find a FWD RX in Chicago.
Old 08-14-12, 06:33 PM
HWDRX
Driver School Candidate

Default I beat this down with the dealer

Originally Posted by EMSLEXUSRX
Hi again,
I am not an expert but I actually purchased a FWD unit, went home and called back in to have the tow hitch put on. The dealer would not do it! After reading the manual front to back it seems they state quite clearly they do not recommend towing with the FWD. Will it tow? I would expect it would. Could you maybe get a tow package? I would expect that you can. However when I pressed the dealer they took the new FWD back and sold me an AWD for the same cost and I racked up 1,000 miles in the week I had it!

I could have easily put on a tow package from someone else or maybe bought the toyota version and installed it myself. If the RX died of course they would point at the hitch and tell me I am screwed. I think they knew it. I could not take that chance. I do tow a bit. No more then about 1,500 pounds and mostly on flat land but nevertheless, I tow and wanted to be sure I was covered. Finally, I am not sure if the extra cooler in the left wheel well is ever put into a FWD. As I understand it, this is the main component allowing a 3,500# rating on the AWD vs. none for the FWD. I would love to know if you have the cooler along with your factory tow package. Just so we are talking about the same thing, I am driving the Hybrid.

Ed
Old 08-14-12, 07:52 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I would love to know if you have the cooler along with your factory tow package. Just so we are talking about the same thing, I am driving the Hybrid.
Window sticker on 2012 450h says:
Transmission cooler/Heavy Duty Alternator/Radiator $238

FWD vs AWD -
I don't like front wheel drive. On rapid acceleration, I oversteer or it oversteers.
I haven't owned a FWD. My last RWD was 30 years ago, nothing but AWD since.
Lexus AWD is on - demand. Good or bad, don't know.
Snow mode okay, just wish it was good for a little faster speed.
AWD makes some folks over confident and when they get stuck....they are really stuck and drive when they should be home in front of the fireplace.

Last edited by DunWkg; 08-14-12 at 08:06 PM.
Old 08-17-12, 06:05 AM
Alpy64
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To me when snow is back and have to drive on the snow or wet / humid or damaged roads, etc., AWD is much more safer/secure.
Electrical motor located at the back gives enough power for pushing the car when required.

Except that, FWD looks sufficient for this car.
Do not know really whether there is difference in terms of consumptions between AWD and FWD

bye
Old 08-17-12, 08:31 AM
mdv
Driver School Candidate

The reason they do not want you to tow with fwd is that in reverse you only have one electric motor not two. The 450 only uses the electric motors in reverse not the engine. So with one motor you could not back up a hill with trailer.
Old 09-02-12, 01:43 PM
chumsdad
Rookie

Originally Posted by HWDRX

Ed
I wish it was that simple. I just bought a 2013 RX 450h AWD and discovered from the almanac sized owner's manual that towing is not recommended at all even with AWD but without the $245 tow prep package (see pages 367 and 944). The tow prep package includes the transmission cooler, heavy duty radiator and heavy duty alternator. In other words, these items are not standard on the 450h AWD.

This is in contrast to the RX 350, which can tow 2000 lbs even without the tow prep package and in either FWD or AWD versions.

My guess is it would cost a lot more than $245 to have the tow package put in by the dealer but anybody have an idea on that?

Last edited by chumsdad; 09-02-12 at 02:09 PM.