RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Wideview Side Mirror Monitoring System

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-12, 05:27 PM
CanadianRX
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sarhento
Hi,

I notice that you have a 2012 model. I was just told that this has been discontinued in 2013. What upsets me is the fact that I was not told during the negotiation/transaction deal. I was made to believe that everything in the package were there. That particular feature is one of the reasons why I went for the Ultra Premium package only to be disappointed.
Slightly off topic. Surprisingly the ultra premiums are made in Japan. Just saw my VIN.
Old 08-20-12, 07:49 PM
dentate
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Canadian Ultra premiums (both 1 and 2) ) are also maunfactured in Cambridge....As for the blind spot monitoring system, the website has said for a long time late summer production. In fact, Cambridge started including the blind spot monitoring system (on Ultra 1 and 2's) with vehicles build the week of Aug 01 with VIN's beginning with 169XXX I believe. (and accordingly they are now $ 500 more) That has been a known fact for some time. I am in a holding position for a 2013 for that reason. The 2013 steering wheel was redesigned thereby losing the ability to accomodate the location for the button for the wide monitoring system...I had it on my 2010 - it like the auto dim headlights was not wildly useful but it did prevent me from scuffing tires/rims when curb parking!!

dentate
Oshawa, ON
Old 08-20-12, 08:39 PM
sarhento
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dentate
The Canadian Ultra premiums (both 1 and 2) ) are also maunfactured in Cambridge....As for the blind spot monitoring system, the website has said for a long time late summer production. In fact, Cambridge started including the blind spot monitoring system (on Ultra 1 and 2's) with vehicles build the week of Aug 01 with VIN's beginning with 169XXX I believe. (and accordingly they are now $ 500 more) That has been a known fact for some time. I am in a holding position for a 2013 for that reason. The 2013 steering wheel was redesigned thereby losing the ability to accomodate the location for the button for the wide monitoring system...I had it on my 2010 - it like the auto dim headlights was not wildly useful but it did prevent me from scuffing tires/rims when curb parking!!

dentate
Oshawa, ON
I have a 2013 model which does not have the BSM. Are you saying then that this was manufactured before Aug. 1?
Old 08-21-12, 09:55 AM
dentate
Driver

The build date is actually on the black plate located on the driver's door or frame surround...the date of maufacture will be in the right upper corner and will look something like 07/12 - if your vehicle were built in July of 2012. If your vehicle orginated from Cambridge the very first number/letter in the VIN will be a 2 if it was built in Japan it will be a J. The earliest VIN from Cambridge that I have seen with the blind spot monitoring for a Canadian (read AWD) vehicle begins with 2Txxxxxxxxx169xxx and I believe the F-Sport models began with 167xxx (not that we can get them with the blind spot monitoring here in Canada nor park assist -unlike our US counterparts - Lexus Canada asleep at the switch again) Any VIN less than 169xxx was built before Aug 01/ 2012 and does not have it - you can also tell by looking at the outboard portion of the mirror surface and you can actually see the symbol there--there is also a button on the drivers left side panel where the buttons are located for headlamp washer, gas cap release and power tailagate opener, (second row closest to the steering column - it says BSM or something like that--i have seen it once) - again I am speaking about Canadian Ultra Premium vehicles only!! Hope that helps!

dentate
Oshawa, ON
Old 08-21-12, 05:44 PM
sarhento
Driver

My VIN starts with 2T but with 161 instead of 169 that you are talking about. So based on what you said, my car was built before August 1, and that's the reason why it has neither the wide-view sidemirror monitoring system nor BSM. So if I understand you correctly, there are two types of RXs in 2013 - one without the BSM/wideview sidemirror and one with BSM. Is this correct?

Last edited by sarhento; 08-21-12 at 05:45 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old 08-21-12, 07:23 PM
CanadianRX
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by sarhento
My VIN starts with 2T but with 161 instead of 169 that you are talking about. So based on what you said, my car was built before August 1, and that's the reason why it has neither the wide-view sidemirror monitoring system nor BSM. So if I understand you correctly, there are two types of RXs in 2013 - one without the BSM/wideview sidemirror and one with BSM. Is this correct?
JTJBK made April 2012. No BSM or wideview.
Old 08-21-12, 07:51 PM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sarhento I think you are just sol because it also states that everything is subject to change without notice. And that is how they we get out of the car not having something or not.
Old 08-21-12, 09:03 PM
dentate
Driver

Wideview (camera on the bottom of the right exterior mirror) was discontnued for 2013 with the redesigned steering wheel. The Blind Spot Monitoring is included in Canadian Ultra Premium 1 and 2 packages with late summer production. When I spoke with the fleet manager at my dealership he said the Cambridge plant began inclusion of the BSM with vehicles produced the week of Aug 01, 2012 and that corresponded to vehicles with VIN's 169xxx and higher and I have seen those now arriving at the dealership. However, be aware that there are still some kicking around build prior to Aug 01-without that feature... I have yet to see anything arriving from Japan with that option inluding the hybrids. Also be aware that the Ultra Premium 1 and 2's now cost $500 more than before if that feature is included.

dentate
Oshawa, ON
Old 08-22-12, 04:57 AM
sarhento
Driver

I would like to thank you guys for your responses.
What upsets me was the fact that the discontinuance of wideview was not communicated to me when I was doing the deal with my dealership. As I stated before, wideview was one of the features that made me go for Ultra Premium. I would have perhaps given the package a second thought had I known or been made aware that this feature was not available. The Lexus website continues to show wideview as part of the Ultra Premium Package. So i believe there was a misrepresentation of the product to me.
Old 08-22-12, 07:43 PM
sarhento
Driver

Default Just to give an Update

I was told by my dealership to elevate my complaint to Lexus Canada. I did but was told that it was the dealer's responsibility to settle with me. Lexus Canada through their representative I talked with on the phone agreed with me that I should have been told of what was discontinued or changed in the package I was getting. He told me that the dealer is responsible for failure to disclose such information -the discontnuance of wideview and replacement of BSM. So I was told to get back to the dealership. I did. Now the dealership asked me with what would make me happy. I said either they install BSM (which apparently couldnot be done by them as it is done at the factory level) or give me credit for the value of wideview. I think that is fair as I am not trying to rip them off. I just want to get what I paid for.

My dealership promised to get back to me on this. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 08-22-12, 08:11 PM
dentate
Driver

The BSM option adds another $500 to the Ultra Premium stickers.....I think it could be added if they wanted to but they really do not want to order 2 new mirrors and a new button panel...I am sure that the wiring has been there since the 2013's were introduced...however, i stand to be corrected. Lexus Canada also claims that parking sensors cannot be added after leaving the factory and there is a fellow from London ON that has proved them wrong on that front, too--(it might be a tad expensive thought but Lexus guests regularly pay upwards of $800 for aftermarket parking sensors that work for about a year and do not appear on the navi screen as Lexus Park Assist) That same fellow also added the wide side monitoring to his pre-2013 RX-all it seemed to need as I recall was a new mirror (expensive) and a button for his pre-2013 steering wheel - if you care to look all his info is posted on here -just do a search! I believe that that wide side monitoring was also a stand alone option in the USA (never here!!) perhaps someone from the USA can confirm this and perhaps what the cost was--that might help you with your case! Hope that helps!

dentate
Oshawa, ON
Old 08-22-12, 08:19 PM
CanadianRX
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by dentate
The BSM option adds another $500 to the Ultra Premium stickers.....I think it could be added if they wanted to but they really do not want to order 2 new mirrors and a new button panel...I am sure that the wiring has been there since the 2013's were introduced...however, i stand to be corrected. Lexus Canada also claims that parking sensors cannot be added after leaving the factory and there is a fellow from London ON that has proved them wrong on that front, too--(it might be a tad expensive thought but Lexus guests regularly pay upwards of $800 for aftermarket parking sensors that work for about a year and do not appear on the navi screen as Lexus Park Assist) That same fellow also added the wide side monitoring to his pre-2013 RX-all it seemed to need as I recall was a new mirror (expensive) and a button for his pre-2013 steering wheel - if you care to look all his info is posted on here -just do a search! I believe that that wide side monitoring was also a stand alone option in the USA (never here!!) perhaps someone from the USA can confirm this and perhaps what the cost was--that might help you with your case! Hope that helps!

dentate
Oshawa, ON
Canadians always get the shaft! lol Also in Florida, Freight, PDI etc is 895, here it is 2k and it comes from Cambridge! I just don't get it
Old 08-23-12, 03:01 PM
sarhento
Driver

How much do you think is the value of wide-view side mirror monitoring system? I realize it is part of the package and difficult to quantify but what is your best guesstimate?

I am trying to decide whether what my dealership is offering me as a credit is fair.
Old 08-23-12, 04:09 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That is a tough call. I would expect at least $500. The side view monitor was not a stand alone option here in the US, it was part of the Luxury Package. They have removed the Side View Monitor and replaced it with the Heated Steering Wheel. BSM is a $500 option on top of that.
Old 08-24-12, 06:53 AM
sarhento
Driver

Originally Posted by MEP7557
That is a tough call. I would expect at least $500. The side view monitor was not a stand alone option here in the US, it was part of the Luxury Package. They have removed the Side View Monitor and replaced it with the Heated Steering Wheel. BSM is a $500 option on top of that.
My dealer got back to me with a $200 offer
I'm thinking to ask them to double that at least.

Quick Reply: Wideview Side Mirror Monitoring System