RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Traffic update icons

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-12, 08:11 AM
shanmand
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Traffic update icons

I am struggling to keep the map from moving whilst clicking on the traffic update icons. How do you pause it from moving.
Old 08-30-12, 09:05 AM
BertL
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Try clicking anywhere on the map by pushing down on the controller -- that will reposition that position to the center of what's visible and should stop the map moving even if you "drive off" what you can see. Press the MAP button on the controller again to reposition it to the center and get the display moving again.

When I'm trying to identify what is happening with traffic, I tend to zoom out on the display so I can see a wider picture of what is going on with possible alternatives. The traffic icons remain large enough you can still select them. Another way, is with your controller, go to Menu / Info/Apps / Traffic Incidents. From there, you can get a written list of the same things you see as icons, sorted by how far away they are from you right now. That may be faster if there is a real mess out there.

...just remembered, you are in South Africa. Not sure if your traffic is provided via SiriusXM satellite like ours is in the US, or is at least connected the same way into the Nav menus. Sorry, should have remembered that little detail in case my examples don't work on your 2013 like it does mine.

Last edited by BertL; 08-30-12 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Added "just remembered..."
Old 08-30-12, 11:05 PM
shanmand
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Bert, clicking on the map seemed to do the trick; however its only the 2D map that works on the 3D view it just add a memory point. I was going out of my mind as, for some reason, it does not stick to the traffic icons as it does on the 3d objects like buildings.

Our traffic information is incorporated into the NAV subsection and it receives info via RDS from one of the national radio stations. The problem with it is that it is sorted in alphabetical order of the incident name not on current location, also for some reason the pop-up warnings are a hit/miss as sometimes the car ignore my settings to manually adjust the route.

But at least I am a happy with your suggested method.
Old 08-31-12, 04:57 AM
BertL
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

In the US, we only have 3D for a few big cities, typically downtown areas such as Los Angeles showing the large high rise buildings and such. It's grown a little bit over the past few years with map updates, but is still a very very small representation and horribly simplistic compared to say Google Maps or Google Earth.

I suspected traffic may be a different implementation in other geos, so that's good to know. Ours is via satellite subscription ($3.99 after the first year free) and appears to have a little more functionality than yours. I had the RDS implementation in my BMW and thought that worked just fine -- best for me was it was always free, and just stole a parallel signal off some of our FM stations in the US that broadcast the information. Appears RDS is not quite as sophisticated as what we have with SiriusXM -- but in two months owning the NavTraffic version with SiriusXM, it seems to show the same roads and traffic incident information. I of course can't tell if one is faster or more accurate than the other. Anyway, for me, I'm fine with it for what it is. Not sure it's worth $3.99/month, but I have another few months to decide on that.

Have fun with your truck and free traffic information for life. Oh, and change your signature line when you get a chance. Be proud of that 2013 you have -- not a 2010!